C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

F.A.S.T wiring & Mount spot

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
I integrated the FAST harness in with the OEM harness, eliminating all of the non-used wires. I even "glassed" the harness through the factory firewall "block-plate", so everything pretty much looks stock, except it is new. I also eliminated the bulky wetherpack injector harness disconnect and just soldered all directly together for a nice clean finish.

The FAST ECM is located under the factory breadbox location with the data connector coming out from under the passenger side of the console nicely tucked between the seat and the console. Unless I am tuning, nothing would indicate it is not stock ECM.

Good luck with the install. It will be fun!
Interesting, I like the idea about not using the injector harness union.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look up Rick's (just installed one of Jim's 421's) FAST install, I posted some pics of the FAST install in my car. If you have more questions, fire away.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
LD85
Race Director

How much of the stock engine wiring is still used? Does it come with it's own relays?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 AM
LD85
Race Director

Screw it, today I paid the balance of the full $2100, so I should have all harness', ecu, etc in my hands in the next week or so, then I will start to pull the GM harness out and dig into this,,

I know virtually nothing about tuning, so here we go.

Need to buy a set of Weather pack crimpers I guess, any suggestions?

Larry
Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 PM
LD85
Race Director

Let the games,,,, begin!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Go Larry! Keep us up to date. I'm really interested in this.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Cool, let me borrow that thing for a week. I just want to know how much an improvement there is over my outdated system. If it's only a tenth, you can have it back. Willie
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
SloRvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

My one suggestion to anybody doing a FAST install is to set up a relay triggered by key on voltage and fed from a good battery source to provide the key on power for the FAST. The key on power that you find in the factory harness provides power for a bunch of stuff in the car and there's a good voltage drop in the circuit. The. FAST uses the key on power input for reading system voltage, so a good real voltage can clean up potential problems.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by SloRvette
My one suggestion to anybody doing a FAST install is to set up a relay triggered by key on voltage and fed from a good battery source to provide the key on power for the FAST.
I currenlty have a Painless 7 circuit Fuse block, I will take your advise and use the fuse block

Total Circuit Quantity 7
Constant Hot Circuit Quantity 3
Ignition Hot Circuit Quantity 4
Weather-Resistant No
Fuse Style ATO/ATC
Fuses Included Yes
Circuit Isolating Relay Included Yes
Flashers Included No
Horn Relay Included No
Mounting Bracket Included Yes
Wiring Harness Included Yes
Hardware Included Yes
Quantity Sold as a kit.
Notes Uses one 30 amp relay.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Go Larry! Keep us up to date. I'm really interested in this.
Hey Ray, its always good to hear from you,,,

I will take pics and start a Excel spreadsheet and document as much as I can,,, maybe this will save some questions in the future for someone else

I am in no rush, although I want to be able to drive to Mid America Funfest in mid-September
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing it unravel. What are you using for a distributor? Does the lastest XFI have any self-tuning capabilities? I've been wondering how well the auto-tune on some on the latest EFI systems work. Foregoing a few dyno sessions would nearly pay for half of the system!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 AM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
Cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing it unravel. What are you using for a distributor? Does the lastest XFI have any self-tuning capabilities? I've been wondering how well the auto-tune on some on the latest EFI systems work. Foregoing a few dyno sessions would nearly pay for half of the system!
I will use my MSD 8366 and yes FAST does have a "no lap top required self tuning" package, although mine will not be self tuning / that package

Self Tune Pckg
http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

EFI package
http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products...n'-0.aspx#
Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 401 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by LD85
Need to buy a set of Weather pack crimpers I guess, any suggestions?

Larry
My brother has the Kent Moore J-38852. Cost about $250.00 Now he is a professional tech for Volvo Trucks and uses this crimper everyday, so the cost is justified for him - I really liked they way it works but I couldn't spend that for an occasional use tool.

http://www.costplustools.com/Kent-Mo...R_p_16981.html

I have the Delphi 12014254. Cost about $90.00 Great crimper. Just because I have "occasional use" dosen't mean I need perfect crimps occasionally..... This one is pretty much a copy of the KM my brother has with shorter handles. It still has the holder type jaws (they call it an alignment die) for the pins so they stay aligned when you crimp them (which IMO is the biggest problem with the cheap ones).

http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...0FOR%20DELPHI/

There are $30 and $40 crimpers out there but honestly they suck. I've used them before and they work OK for fixing a few broken pins every now and then but no way I would try and wire a complete harness with them. Like I said with no alignment die for the pins, it gets real old after a few pins trying to hold the wire and the pin with one hand and then crimp down with the other....
Will
Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm about to pull the trigger on the FAST also.....Advice (help) will be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
My brother has the Kent Moore J-38852. Cost about $250.00 Now he is a professional tech for Volvo Trucks and uses this crimper everyday, so the cost is justified for him - I really liked they way it works but I couldn't spend that for an occasional use tool.

http://www.costplustools.com/Kent-Mo...R_p_16981.html

I have the Delphi 12014254. Cost about $90.00 Great crimper. Just because I have "occasional use" dosen't mean I need perfect crimps occasionally..... This one is pretty much a copy of the KM my brother has with shorter handles. It still has the holder type jaws (they call it an alignment die) for the pins so they stay aligned when you crimp them (which IMO is the biggest problem with the cheap ones).

http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...0FOR%20DELPHI/

There are $30 and $40 crimpers out there but honestly they suck. I've used them before and they work OK for fixing a few broken pins every now and then but no way I would try and wire a complete harness with them. Like I said with no alignment die for the pins, it gets real old after a few pins trying to hold the wire and the pin with one hand and then crimp down with the other....
Will
Thanks Will, my crimpers arrived yesterday,, the harness came with almost all the connectors attached so I only need to make a few connectors. I went cheap because I wont be doing much of this, but I have all the items shown in the pic,

Gonna try to start on the project this Saturday

Last edited by LD85; 07-21-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM
LD85
Race Director

Had a busy weekend but not with the FAST install , I only got the harness pulled thru the wall,

Next I'll separate the engine harness wires from the other wires and then I expect the ECU and injector harness should arrive Tues/Wed.

Anybody have a MAP sensor part number? I am thinking of using the 1996 MAP sensor

Last edited by LD85; 07-24-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be a bit late, but I will attempt to explain how I have done the FAST harness installs.

- pulled the full factory harness from the car
- used a piece of 4' x 8' plywood and laid the harness out
- installed screws at every point where the harness had a split
- extended each "limb" and again screws to hold in that location
- labeled each connector
- once the harness was fully laid out and detailed, removed the sheathing / wire loom
- removed the electrical tape (used tie-wraps to temporarily hold large groups of wires together)
- overlaid the FAST harness with the connectors laid out in the appropriate locations
- removed duplicate wires and replaced with wires from FAST harness (there will be a lot)
- shortened FAST wires that were too long (solder and shrink wrap)
- reinstalled firewall "plug" (and glassed) that allowed updated harness to pass through like factory
- removed updated harness from plywood fixture
- reinstalled in car

The install looks near factory. You would have to look really hard to note that it was anything other than OEM (or just note that OEM did not use MAP).

I can't help you with the MAP p/n, as I use a 3-bar. But I do know that they are just like GM MAPs, but the connector is specific to the MAP used (i.e. 1 bar MAP ises a specific connector, 2 bar MAP uses different connector, and 3 bar MAP uses another).

Good luck, and keep the pictures coming.
Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To F.A.S.T wiring & Mount spot

Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks scary to me! Good luck, and I'll keep watching!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
LD85
Race Director

Thanks a ton Aaron!

I'm sort of waiting for the rest of the package to arrive, but I will take your advice for sure,,

I am curious to find out if I will need to order any new connectors, and I agree, in looking at the FAST harness, it looks like a bunch of wires are included that I wont use.

I bought a large roll of factory corerct wire wrap from Corvette Central, so I will use this in place of the fast Corrugated Loom.

I may take off next Friday and spend a day dedicated to the harness,
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
LD85
Race Director

Progress!

The next step is to determine what I need and what I don't need in the fast harness, my plan is to pull the un-necessary FAST wires out of the loom and keep them in the cabin under the dash, I hope my FAST fuel injector & distributor harness & Wide Band O2 comes today or tomorrow, otherwise I am in limbo...to be continued

Quick Reply: F.A.S.T wiring & Mount spot