C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how do i put in a Passenger window glass???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
aceesquire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i put in a Passenger window glass???

ive been searching around and i cant find any definitive answers. my passenger window, on my '86, shattered when the door was closed.
i found a replacement window for a good price. took off the door panel and removed all the broken glass (it was everywhere) removed the bolts that held the old glass to the guide. pretty straight forward.
now...
when i went to put in the new glass, i could get it into the door. i tried to go thru the top of the door. but the window guide (closest to the side view mirror) doesn't have an entry point into the door. there is a metal plate that is blocking it from going into the door. i don't see how to remove it. it looks welded on. my question is...how to get the glass into the door?? i need some help with this one.
thanks everyone
Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the plate has to come off/out to access the tracks/pivot but if I remember right the window does drop in from the top but you have to tilt it a bit. The whole thing is a huge hassle but it is not too tough if you can get an extra set of hands. While the big aluminum panel is out tighten/retighten all the hardware in the bottom of the door that holds window actuator/door lock mechanism(s). This would also be a good time to replace the 4 "felt" covered guides if you have the parts/time. There are some pretty big drain holes in the bottom of the door(s) the remaining glass can be sweeped over to them and the glass will just fall out. Like you said the whole thing is pretty straight forward.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 PM
aceesquire
Advanced

there are felt covered guides? i don't remember seeing those. are they attached to that plastic folding piece that holds the glass in place?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

There are two felt covered guides at the top of the door, one in the front and one in the back. They are mounted in slots. You need to loosen the bolt and let them drop to the bottom of the slot to open up the area where the glass goes in.

Check this out:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-30-8514.html

They call it an anti-rattle cushion about in the middle of the video.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
There are two felt covered guides at the top of the door, one in the front and one in the back. They are mounted in slots. You need to loosen the bolt and let them drop to the bottom of the slot to open up the area where the glass goes in.

Check this out:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-30-8514.html

They call it an anti-rattle cushion about in the middle of the video.
Yep I called then the wrong thing - my bad. I don't know it it really matters but I thought there were a total of 4 per door (2 inboard 2 outboard).
They look like this:
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM
aceesquire
Advanced

i have pictures of where my dilemma is, with the window install. but i cant post them from my camera, because the pics are not hosted.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
aceesquire
Advanced

ok here is what i have a problem with. how do i get the glass pass this?

the other part of the door has open slots for the glass bolts to go into the door

but not the stopper. how do i get past this? i cant see anything to unbolt. it looks like it is welded

Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Now that I see the picture, I have an answer. If you closely at that stopper you will see a top of a bolt. That bolt screws into a washer/nut on the outside of the glass. Channel Locks are your friend here. Remove it, drop the glass in and reinstall it.
I just did this last week to replace the motor, my stopper was loose and caused the window to jam so the motor replacement was unnecessary.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 AM
aceesquire
Advanced

thanks for your help. one more issue..once the glass is in, how do you put the stopper back on? i don't have access to that area of the glass once its in the door
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The big aluminum panel still needs to come out to effectively access reload the pivot into the actuator track. Perhaps you do/did need to unbolt the pivot before you drop it "in". Man, if I am remembering correctly there are larger gaps at each end of the window slot (just under the jamb's upper edges of the weather strippng) I'm pretty sure I stood the window vertically, dropped the front edge in past the bolt on pivot then rotated the window back horizontally as I slid the whole thing "foward" to where the other studs dropped through the pre cut holes you took the pics of.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 AM
aceesquire
Advanced

thanks... you were right about that aluminum piece needing to come out.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to repair the driver's window regulator last year on my 87.

I removed the glass & reinstalled it after making repairs.
I recall removing & reinstalling the the glass window vertical.
You have to remove the large aluminum sheet metal framework 1st.
Lots of screws & bolts I remember too.

Make the glass adjustments carefully.
A large sheet of newspaper unfolded & placed on top edge of the glass then closing the door is a great way to test for proper door closing.
Window fully rolled up.
Newspaper should not pull out easily or not at all when adjustments are correct anywhere the glass makes contact with the weatherstripping.
Done correct You will have no water leaks with a garden hose test & no highway wind noise with window full rolled up.

Window glass can be adjusted to the front & rear of the car, in & out, & full upward glass stops too on the front & rear leading edge.
Work slowly & pay attention to the old "WITNESS MARKS from the glass adjustment bolts installed by the Corvette Factory Workers in Bowling Green, KY.
Save some time & mistakes that way for You.

BR
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
aceesquire
Advanced

much appreciated. when i update the window regulators for the doors i will follow those tips
Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I removed my 89 passenger glass, I couldn't get the bolt loose for that stopper. I ended up drilling out that section shown to get the stopper past. If you look on the drivers' side, it's already cut out.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Doesn't that stopper have a hex socket in it? Maybe a Torx. I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure the factory used SOME tool to get it in there... ;-)

Get notified of new replies

To how do i put in a Passenger window glass???

Quick Reply: how do i put in a Passenger window glass???