C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

tunerpro files

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tunerpro files

I just purchased hardware and software to work on my 85 corvette automatic.
The software is tunerpro. My main goal is diagnosis more that tuning.
Do I need the extra bin files, etc for diagnosis? If so, which ones are the ones for my 85 vette. I am not an expert, help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Joe.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 582 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by jdemoya
I just purchased hardware and software to work on my 85 corvette automatic.
The software is tunerpro. My main goal is diagnosis more that tuning.
Do I need the extra bin files, etc for diagnosis? If so, which ones are the ones for my 85 vette. I am not an expert, help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Joe.
You need the correct definition file and a base .bin file.

See if someone has the base (stock) .bin file from your car, elsewise you'll need to get hardware to put your chip into a reader and extract the .bin file from it.

The correct definition file is reqd by tunerpro to read/modify your .bin

Tunerpro.net has a gm discussion board.

User robertisaar has hacked the definition files for most gm cars, he is your best bet for info and tunerpro help.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 170 Posts

You just need the correct ads file to datalog. You need the xdf and the bin to program chips.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

You can download the ADS and XDF files from the TunerPro website for free. Shoot me a PM if you need the stock .bin file. You mentioned you got the hardware and software. Do you intend to modify the chip?
The following users liked this post:
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 409 Likes on 332 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

http://tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm

Scroll part way down the page and look for 85 Y-body. The ads file is the data file. The xdf file is the "mask" thru which you can view the data (parameter) fields.

FYI: Y-body is Corvette.
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 AM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Thank you to all that have provided such an invaluable help. I have researched all the leads and have been able to finally get things to work.
When I get all these together, I will post it here.
I am sure there will be more like me in the coming weeks.
Thanks again.
85Red-Z51 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 AM
jdemoya
Intermediate

My hardware is an obd1 scanner usb to 12 pin aldl. I purchased it from reddevilriver on Ebay for $65.00 including shipping. I recommend this one over the rs232 cable that needs separate power. The cable has the hardware built into it. You hook it up to your usb port in the computer. If you have a newer computer with Vista or Win7 the drivers will be installed automatically. Otherwise the drivers are provided in a separate CD. After installation, check on control panel, system, device manager and see which port shows as usb to rs232, write this number down. (Port 1, 2, or 3 etc).
Install tunerpro and after the program opens, go to tools, preferences, data acquisition.
(continues)
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 AM
jdemoya
Intermediate

After choosing data acq/emulation. On the left side, top "Interface type", choose "Use Plug in
Lower on "Configure plug in component" Choose standard serial and select the port number that you saved earlier. Now you can check if your hardware is working by choosing "Test for valid interface..." If all is well it will tell you hardware found and working, etc.
Close the small windows. Almost done.
Now you have to download your datastream definition from www.tunerpro.net.
Go to web site, on the right hand side there is a menu, choose downloads, definitions.
A new screen appears. If you know your ECM number, there are choices on the right side.
My 85 Vette is ECM #1226870 the datastream definition is A20.ads.
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 AM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Finally...
On A20.ads right click and choose "Save linked content as" (Vista, XP maybe different). This will open a window asking you to "SAVE AS", your tunerpro files are located under "documents/tunerpro files/datastreams. Choose that location. I recommend renaming the file with your vehicle, year, engine, etc. Mine I named "85 Y body 5.7 TPI L98" After your file is saved, close the window.
Now go to the program tunerpro and in the top menu, "acquisition", window opens, choose "Import definition"---from ADS. This will bring a new window with the file you had just saved, in my case "85 Y body, etc" select that one and save it.
Light at the end of the tunnel...
Now take your laptop, got to your car, hook the cable to the aldl port. Turn the key without starting the engine. Click in the top menu, the icon with two arrows, one on top of the other.
If everything is ok, now you will see at the bottom of the tunerpro screen, the DA: not connected sign, will turn from yellow to blue and it will tell you that you have established connection.
Top menu, to the right of the arrows, select any of the choices for monitoring.
"Show data dash" "Show data list views" "Show data monitors"
Now you will be seeing your data as the engine spits it out. Turn the engine and have fun... Thanks to all those that helped.
Joe.
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

You might want to also try the WIN ALDL data logging software. It was designed for the 85 and is free. In some cases WIN ALDL provides a better look at data. For instance, it has BLM, INT and O2 tables that break down the data by RPM and air flow.
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
jdemoya
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cumbercr
You might want to also try the WIN ALDL data logging software. It was designed for the 85 and is free. In some cases WIN ALDL provides a better look at data. For instance, it has BLM, INT and O2 tables that break down the data by RPM and air flow.
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded Win aldl and it works fine with my hardware. No problems there. I now need to learn how to use most of the information I am obtaining. He, he.
JDeMoya.
gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:13 PM
85Red-Z51
Living The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
You can download the ADS and XDF files from the TunerPro website for free. Shoot me a PM if you need the stock .bin file. You mentioned you got the hardware and software. Do you intend to modify the chip?
I could REALLY use the stock BIN for an 85 Vette Auto if you have it available still.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:18 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Red-Z51
I could REALLY use the stock BIN for an 85 Vette Auto if you have it available still.
Stock BINs are available on Gearhead-EFI. I highly recommend joining if you're planning on messing around with the ECM. I've attached the BIN to this post for you, but it was acquired from here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-1F
Attached Files
File Type: bin
The following 2 users liked this post by Nomake Wan:
85Red-Z51 (06-01-2021), gman35 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 07:41 PM
85Red-Z51
Living The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nomake wan
stock bins are available on gearhead-efi. I highly recommend joining if you're planning on messing around with the ecm. I've attached the bin to this post for you, but it was acquired from here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/fuel-inj...information-1f

thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To tunerpro files

Quick Reply: tunerpro files