C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LTCC Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LTCC Install

Got the Bailey Engineering LTCC Conversion installed on my 1996 LT1.

The hardest part of the install has been figuring out how I wanted to install the coils, and getting cylinder 6 & 8 plug wires installed. (EGR tube in the way)

The install was pretty much straight forward, but there did appear to be one wire left out of the actual verbiage in the instructions, but it was listed in the wire table.

I chose to NOT drill holes into my Valve Covers to mount the coils, and instead used the stud locations for the plastic engine covers.

For the OEM ICM and Coil connections, I chose to not cut off the OEM connectors, and instead tapped into those wires just in case I might want to revert back to the OEM Optispark ignition. (Very doubtful)

Virtually every component used for the coil mounting came from McMaster Carr. The coil plates are 1/4" x 4" x 12" Aluminum plates, and I had a Machinist round the ends of the plates. The coils are separated with 1-1/2" steel spacers. If you do this conversion, DO NOT cut both sides the same. The stud locations are not the same from side to side, and the thread is M6x1.0.

The car started right up the very first time, and the only thing I notice different is when you rev the engine in park, it will give a pop from the exhaust which it didn't do on the OPTI. The car runs great so far. Don't know if there was a power change, no access to a dyno.

Tune ups are now going to be easier, and not require removal of the water pump and balancer, and the wires are much easier to install now.

I'll try to get some more pictures uploaded later. Still trying to deal with my Mom passing last month. The picture now is just with the coils in for a hood fit check.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Pic 2
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Pic 3
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM
dio45
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

newb here. do you have to have the computer flashed to do this conversion?

never easy losing a loved one..
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice, very clean install. I left the connectors on my 94 intact as well just in case I wanted to go back someday. I have fabbed aluminum rocker covers which made mounting coils a little easier.

Computer doesn't need to be flashed. On my 94 I did have to pickup the tach signal from the PCM harness to get the gauges to work and the ASR light to go out.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice install. I've been running the LTCC on my Impala SS for 5 years (60,000 mi) and have had no problems at all. I even bought a used module because I take the old girl on road trips and just didn't think Autozone or NAPA would be able to help if it failed.

Getting the high voltage out of the opti should make it last much longer.

I'm putting another LTCC on my LT4 Vette engine and won't look back. I didn't want to drill holes in valve covers either. I used the fuel rail mounting bolts (longer) to hold mine.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Originally Posted by dio45
newb here. do you have to have the computer flashed to do this conversion?

never easy losing a loved one..
No, no computer changes required, but, you do have to have a working Optispark sensor.

Last edited by JMelton; 04-10-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Very nice install. I've been running the LTCC on my Impala SS for 5 years (60,000 mi) and have had no problems at all. I even bought a used module because I take the old girl on road trips and just didn't think Autozone or NAPA would be able to help if it failed.

Getting the high voltage out of the opti should make it last much longer.

I'm putting another LTCC on my LT4 Vette engine and won't look back. I didn't want to drill holes in valve covers either. I used the fuel rail mounting bolts (longer) to hold mine.
I liked the idea of the Deltec conversion, but they are out of the picture for health reasons from what I've been told. It was a complete kit that you bought vs having to come up with everything to complete the install. But, Bob Bailey still has a good product, and I'm happy with it so far.

I like the fact that you have plenty of clearance to get to the plugs on 6 & 8 in the picture. I have shorty headers on mine, and the dang EGR tube is in the way, so I haven't been able to put the new wires on those two yet, and still have the old wires feeding them.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

The brains behind DelTeq are like genius level... I read he got an offer he couldn't refuse from the defense industry.

I have LTCC... even rewrote the manual... Donno which version you got.

Great product. I have had it for over 10 years and no issues.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:29 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Originally Posted by bogus
The brains behind DelTeq are like genius level... I read he got an offer he couldn't refuse from the defense industry.

Andy Bogus - it's funny you should ask that.

I have the version that you wrote that has V1.9d on the cover, and what Bob emailed and included in the box was also V1.9d, but they were completely different. The version you wrote was for the version that had the 8 separate coil connectors. The version I got that he's shipping now only has two coil connectors, and you have to have the factory coil harness too.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,185 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by JMelton
No, no computer changes required, but, you do have to have a working Optispark sensor.
Does it fire all 8 coils every "now" from the ECM? Or is there an auxiliary computer that fires the coils sequentially?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Does it fire all 8 coils every "now" from the ECM? Or is there an auxiliary computer that fires the coils sequentially?
http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html

There is a "Brain" in a nice metal box that taps into the OPTI signal at the test plug on the right side of the intake, and coil/ICM wiring, but I can't answer that question.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,185 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Got it. Thanks! It has it's own "brain" that deciphers which cylinders are where using the low res signal, then fires each coil accordingly, it looks like. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:24 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus

DELTEQ guy, Pete Visser?, works at L3 in DC for unmanned stuff...
Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yes, the brain interprets timing, the coils are intelligent and set dwell themselves based upon signals.

And yes, the harness has been updated to use the LS2 style coil harness assembly. Much cleaner, and the leads are longer on the harness.

I have had mine so long, I have had both harnesses! The original was destroyed several years ago when the serp belt blew up, taking the harness and ripping it to shreds.

Get notified of new replies

To LTCC Install

Quick Reply: LTCC Install