C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

where is oil temp sensor on a 93 C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 08:46 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 581 Likes on 452 Posts

Default where is oil temp sensor on a 93 C4?

Seems my digital (analog stopped working a year ago) gauge no longer works for oil temp. Always reads 'LO'
Old 10-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: where is oil temp sensor on a 93 C4? (dizwiz24)

If I remember right it is at the back of the block by the intake sealing edge. Not easy to get to (my intake was off for oil leak at the time).
Old 10-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: where is oil temp sensor on a 93 C4? (Goody)

If I remember right it is at the back of the block by the intake sealing edge. Not easy to get to (my intake was off for oil leak at the time).
That's oil pressure :D

I just went through this last month, so I can tell you exactly what to look for. There is 1 sending unit for both gauges, however it has 3 wires going into it. One is a ground and computer signal wire, the other is just a signal for the analog gauge. In my case the pastic clip retainer on the stock sensor broke, and so it was loose to wiggle around, making my analog gauge not work while my digital one did.

The guage is located directly above your oil filter, with long tube headers I was able to get at it from the top. You'll probably need to go from the bottom if you don't have headers. Check the wires and make sure that they are not burned. If everything looks intact you can short some of the wires (I don't remember which ones, but I can find out) you can make the gauges register so you can basically test the wiring.

So, if you unplug the sensor, and short the gauges, and they register properly, it's the sending unit.

Jeff Kopp can get you one and it costs $16.43

:cheers:
Old 06-14-2022, 09:18 PM
fierygt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible for someone to take a picture of where the oil temp sensor is located? I looked around the oil filter and couldn't find any wire leads for it so am I looking in the wrong place? I took a few pictures to show where I tried to find it. Only saw one sensor going directly into the oil pan with two wires (pink/black) and one going into the block across from the oil filter, and it just has one blue wire. If it is directly above the oil filter, what is the easiest way to get to it, because I can't even see it. Thanks

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/tTPy3IN
Old 06-14-2022, 09:45 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 454 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Originally Posted by fierygt
Is it possible for someone to take a picture of where the oil temp sensor is located? I looked around the oil filter and couldn't find any wire leads for it so am I looking in the wrong place? I took a few pictures to show where I tried to find it. Only saw one sensor going directly into the oil pan with two wires (pink/black) and one going into the block across from the oil filter, and it just has one blue wire. If it is directly above the oil filter, what is the easiest way to get to it, because I can't even see it. Thanks

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/tTPy3IN
It's right above the oil filter.

All of the oil residue in the picture actually came from the leak the oil pressure sensor had, though. It all made its way down there. Cleans up easy enough, though.

Put the car up on ramps. It's pretty easy to get to.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:04 PM
fierygt
Heel & Toe

Weird, I jacked it up and looked all around and couldn't see it. I took the pictures at the angle I could, and couldn't see any sensor above the oil filter looking all around it...
Old 06-14-2022, 10:11 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Weird, I jacked it up and looked all around and couldn't see it. I took the pictures at the angle I could, and couldn't see any sensor above the oil filter looking all around it...
This is where it is on an L98 motor...

Old 06-14-2022, 10:19 PM
Natty C
Drifting

I'm pretty sure it's located in the same place on an LT1, if that's what you have.

Should update your profile so people know what motor they're dealing with in the future.

In this case, I'm pretty sure it's in the same location, though.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:30 PM
fierygt
Heel & Toe

Ok, I updated my profile, I think. It is a 93, which is the LT1. One of the problems I've been having is getting conflicting information in it from the internet, so I figured I would start a thread here, but saw one was already started a long time ago and figured I'd just revive it, since even in here it was conflicting. I'll check around the oil filter again, when I can get a chance, thanks.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:32 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 563 Likes on 368 Posts

"The more things change, the more they stay the same".

Over twenty years and STILL asking questions he already knows the answer to.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:35 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Ok, I updated my profile, I think. It is a 93, which is the LT1. One of the problems I've been having is getting conflicting information in it from the internet, so I figured I would start a thread here, but saw one was already started a long time ago and figured I'd just revive it, since even in here it was conflicting. I'll check around the oil filter again, when I can get a chance, thanks.

Yeah, this thread's 20 years old, man. Best to start a thread, and that's generally what they want us to do. But whatever. You're already here now.

Try looking at it from the front angle instead of the back angle. It's easier to see that way. It's up there a bit. Be careful under there with just a jack, though.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:21 PM
fierygt
Heel & Toe

"Over twenty years and STILL asking questions he already knows the answer to."

arbee, I didn't start the thread, I just piggy backed off it. Only been a member here a couple months, which is about as long as i've worked on a corvette. Anyway, Natty I crawled up under the front, so I was looking at it from the front side, but I'll try again when I get a chance, thanks.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:51 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 563 Likes on 368 Posts

"Over twenty years and STILL asking questions he already knows the answer to."

arbee, I didn't start the thread, I just piggy backed off it. Only been a member here a couple months, which is about as long as i've worked on a corvette. Anyway, Natty I crawled up under the front, so I was looking at it from the front side, but I'll try again when I get a chance, thanks.
Don't get your knickers wadded up. My comment has nothing to do with you or anyone else who posted yesterday. Those who have been on this site for twenty years will pick up on what I was saying.

Get notified of new replies

To where is oil temp sensor on a 93 C4?

Quick Reply: where is oil temp sensor on a 93 C4?