C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Courtesy Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:03 PM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Courtesy Lights Not Working

- Interior Delay Timer replaced with a new unit
- Headlight Switch turns on all lights except for the passenger side footwell light. I think my problem may be here.
- Drivers side Door Ajar switch works intermittently (lights don't turn on when it does work) Passenger side Door Ajar switch works on the telltale display, but courtesy lights do not turn on.

After some digging through the forum I replaced the delay timer switch/circuitboard but no change. All bulbs have been checked/replaced, and they all work besides the Passenger Footwell Lamp when the headlight switch is turned counter-clockwise.
My guess is I need to replace the drivers side ajar switch eventually but even if it were bad, I assume the lights would work when I open the passenger side door and that switch is good. Right?

I've read about a potential ground issue to the passenger side footwell light, how would I go about testing that? I have a multimeter so... I just don't know where to start.
I'm going to swing the headlamp switch over and test the socket for voltage at both connections and update the post with my readings.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 01-18-2022, 12:14 AM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, all of the hatch release buttons work I believe, they all make a clicking noise in the hatch area when pressed. (The weatherstripping is new so I think its still a little too tight for the latch to disengage but I guess they technically don't work.) I could be wrong though. I'll pull those switches in the A pillar and check/clean any corrosion and check that footwell connector for 12v and ground. Thank you, I'll update later tonight or in the morning.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:25 AM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

- I checked the footwell connector first, pink and black wire is receiving 12v, the white ground wire on the connector is either open or grounded because I plugged in the bulb and ran a wire from the ground point behind the headlight in the engine compartment to the pin plugged into the white wire and it turned on. Any suggestions for resolving this?

- I then removed and cleaned the contacts of the pin switches in the A pillar, I am assuming both worked fine before because the security light had always worked on the telltale. Both were cleaned and reinstalled. I plugged the battery back in and still no lights.

Tomorrow I will attempt to ground the wire you mentioned in your last edit. If I were to ground just one of the pin switches like you mentioned, the lights would turn on? (assuming the delay timer is good) I don't have to do both simultaneously right?

Maybe the Delay Timer was a faulty unit?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated, friend!
Old 01-18-2022, 10:09 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 712 Likes on 496 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Little too late but as far as the switches in the a pillar go, if you pull the plunger it will click and stay out. This allows you to put a socket on it and unscrew it from the frame without the wires twisting. After you put it back in, either push the plunger back in or just shut the door.
The following 2 users liked this post by FostersPerformance:
Frankieallen10 (01-18-2022), IHBD (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:55 PM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

Okay so, ground on the A pillar switches are good. I found two issues, one being a wire that goes to the delay timer was finicky, I was fiddling around with it and the lights came on. That's now resolved.

The second issue is the ground wire to the footwell light. I was thinking of just putting the ground wire to a ground point but realized that that would keep the light on at all times. I was wondering since that that harness runs to God knows where, whether it would be a simpler fix to connect it to the ground that runs to the door light? If so, which wire is the ground for the door harness? My guess is the white one although I figured I'd ask to be sure. Thank you @ihatebarkingdogs @FostersPerformance for your help.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:24 PM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

The insulation seems a bit dry on that ground wire. Could the clip be pulled from the terminal to resolder it? I imagine any break is right at the terminal because if you jiggle it a billion times it'll light up once or twice.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:13 AM
Frankieallen10
Intermediate

@ihatebarkingdogs Right again! You're on a roll.

The wire was broken at the terminal under the insulation, I popped the metal connector out of the terminal and fed some intact wire into it, plugged it back in and all problems are now resolved.

Thank you, guys. I appreciate your help!
The following users liked this post:
IHBD (01-19-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy Lights Not Working

Quick Reply: Courtesy Lights Not Working