C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why Won't My 88 Corvette Burn The Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 09:51 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,473 Posts

post 16
Old 04-03-2024, 05:31 PM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you done anything to try to fix it? Start with new plugs and wires and put a fuel pressure gauge on it as mentioned above. Also how old is the fuel in it? It’s not going to fix itself…
Old 04-03-2024, 06:25 PM
LiveWire1
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by vroomrr
Well it's been a while since I had space in my garage, and time to work on the Vette. I tried to start it today with no luck until I squirted starting fluid into it. Then it started and ran just fine. Then I moved it out of the way of one of the garage doors and turned it off. I move a Cadillac doner that is for a body swap of my 57 Chevy, out of the bay. Then tryed to start the Vette, it did the same would not run, backfired and such. So I again sprayed so more starter fluid into it and again it ran fine.

I am wondering now, if the fact that I buy the cheapest gas, low octane, will this cause my 1988 Corvette to run like crap and that is my issue of why it bogs down and will not burn the tires?
What do you think?
It REALLY sounds to me like you have a fuel problem. My first step would be to replace the fuel pump and filter. It's not a tough job. You remove the rubber surround from around the filler cap and undo all the bolts in the ring around the filler neck. Pull out the plate and the fuel pump comes out with it. It's ridiculously easy to replace. While you're in there, check for rust and crap in the bottom of the tank, and clean it up if it needs it. The fuel filter is located under the car, beside the frame, just in front of the passenger seat area. Again, an easy job. I'd replace those two items and that will probably wake your car up. Check Youtube for videos showing how to do these two jobs. Have fun!
Old 04-03-2024, 07:28 PM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan79423
Might be because that is the only year without crossed flag on the logo. Crossed flags logo add 30 HP.
I'll be dam, you're right, never noticed that before.
I'm not sure what's different. What are you talking about?
Old 04-06-2024, 12:45 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 243 Likes on 196 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

It's cheap and easy to check the fuel pressure, always a good place to start instead of just jumping to replacing parts, might be a complete waste of time and money. Or worse, get "new" parts that aren't good!
Search around in the forums, plenty of threads describing how to do the pressure check.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:03 PM
2011KLR
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 113 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ThomasR
I'm not sure what's different. What are you talking about?

These are the emblems for each gen of the Corvette. The C4 gen doesnt have crossed flags.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:31 PM
vroomrr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BET VETTE
Push down slowly until it revs up and see what happens
So it's been a while now, been real busy. Got around to starting the 88 Vette and was running rough. Backfiring a bit, then I pushed down on the gas, revved it pretty high and it seemed to like run out of gas and I had to pump it a lot just to keep it running at like 10 RPM. It seems maybe something is clogged, or the fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel. I have to spray starter fluid in there to get it to start.
What do you think?
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,391 Likes on 932 Posts

So it's been a while now, been real busy. Got around to starting the 88 Vette and was running rough. Backfiring a bit, then I pushed down on the gas, revved it pretty high and it seemed to like run out of gas and I had to pump it a lot just to keep it running at like 10 RPM. It seems maybe something is clogged, or the fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel. I have to spray starter fluid in there to get it to start.
What do you think?
You have been told numerous times in this thread to check your fuel pressure and not once have you even acknowledged it. You will be better served selling the car. The car will also be happier in the hands of somebody else.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChumpVette:
IHBD (Yesterday), LouKramm86 (Yesterday), vader86 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,457 Likes on 1,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Give the car a tuneup, check the FP. Nothing more to say until you do these things.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
vroomrr
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kael
It's cheap and easy to check the fuel pressure, always a good place to start instead of just jumping to replacing parts, might be a complete waste of time and money. Or worse, get "new" parts that aren't good!
Search around in the forums, plenty of threads describing how to do the pressure check.
And O'Reilly's rents them for free.
Loaner Tool Program | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Elduderino
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011KLR

These are the emblems for each gen of the Corvette. The C4 gen doesnt have crossed flags.
Well ill just be darned... never noticed that before.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Kilobuck84
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Elduderino
Well ill just be darned... never noticed that before.
If we're going to be that way, I don't see the C7 or C8 logos as being "crossed" either.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Why Won't My 88 Corvette Burn The Tires?