C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pump hanger ideas/options

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:16 PM
AZSP33D
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Fuel pump hanger ideas/options

Need to re-do the fuel system, wondering if theres a billet hanger available that bolts to the OEM fuel tank.

Using a Walbro 450LPH in tank pump with Flextronics harness, and the stock fuel level sensor/float will not work as Im packing the tank with fuel tank foam. Prefer AN6 or 8 output and AN6 return.

I would also fit a cylindrical aftermarket fuel level sender, but not sure how I had to bolt on to the top of the tank.

Any ideas welcome. Even a retrofit in tank surge tank that can be fit. Or an aftermarket tank if I have to go that far, but much prefer the stock tank.

650hp mill and flex fuel setup.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:13 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

When I put my 450 lph pump in I fabbed my own hanger. I didn't use foam though so my job was a lot easier. But I used a -8AN bulkhead fitting for the feed and the old factory feed as a return on the top of the sending unit. I used a float and fuel level sensor from a newer Chevy truck so it was E85 compatible. The ohms where different so I used a cheap converter box so the gauge could read the signal. So far everything works like a charm.

I posted a pick of what I made on a LS build thread a few years ago I'll see if I can find it. It doesn't look pretty. But the best part about the fuel sending unit is you can't see it.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:30 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Found them.

so in the second pic you can see the -8AN bulkhead fitting connecting to the Walbro hose. Also I welded a tube on the old feed line that I converted to a return so it dumps the returned fuel directly on to the sock. To use that fuel level sender I had to bend the wire a lot to get it to work. That part was probably the most time consuming. But using the converter box allows me to "tune" the fuel level gauge. So I filled the tank until fuel just came up to the sock and set that point as the lowest point. Then filled the tank at the gas station until the gas pump shut off. This I set as the highest point. Now my fuel gauge works amazingly well.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:47 AM
AZSP33D
Burning Brakes

Good stuff, thank you. I’ll probably end up with some sort of a contraption like that. Best thing to do with the fuel sensor may be to leave it out.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:26 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AZSP33D
Good stuff, thank you. I’ll probably end up with some sort of a contraption like that. Best thing to do with the fuel sensor may be to leave it out.
I debated going with an optical fuel level sensor instead of the float style. But the price of those was a bit much. So I did it this way. I'm happy with it. But the optical version might be something to look at if you don't feel like messing with the float arm.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
AZSP33D
Burning Brakes

Got some work done on the fuel system... and mostly done with the fuel pump, just need to finish the wiring, and figure out the fuel quantity challenge. Open to suggestions. Tank is filled with blocks of fuel tank foam with a void in the center so the regular float is not really an option.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump hanger ideas/options

Quick Reply: Fuel pump hanger ideas/options