C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pencil eraser in combustion chamber ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 09:19 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 876 Likes on 539 Posts

I see a few new replies and many thanks. I’m still around and I’ll definitely post again.

the shop vac suction is strong with a piece of tube taped to the nozzle, but the angle of attack isn’t nearly enough with the banking of the cylinder where the eraser sits in the bottom.

I have exhausted (pun intended) every option for suction I feel, with so many combinations of open and closed valves and various piston heights. The photos imply that the angle is easy to reach but it’s actually extremely “around and below”

i am comfortable that the paper thin alumium (tin?) will clear the open valve particularly with the eraser burned up, versus the tear down.

Do I feel a little uneasy? Sure. I’ve been at this for 30 years and never dropped anything in an engine. But the piston to wall clearance is SO tiny the only faint fear is having it stuck in the gap seems remote. Terrible, yes. But remote.

i think the force of the exhaust gas rushing out the 360 degree valve is the only way it’s coming out without disassembly.

in any event I’ll try it shortly. Thanks again to all.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:26 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I see a few new replies and many thanks. I’m still around and I’ll definitely post again.

the shop vac suction is strong with a piece of tube taped to the nozzle, but the angle of attack isn’t nearly enough with the banking of the cylinder where the eraser sits in the bottom.

I have exhausted (pun intended) every option for suction I feel, with so many combinations of open and closed valves and various piston heights. The photos imply that the angle is easy to reach but it’s actually extremely “around and below”

i am comfortable that the paper thin alumium (tin?) will clear the open valve particularly with the eraser burned up, versus the tear down.

Do I feel a little uneasy? Sure. I’ve been at this for 30 years and never dropped anything in an engine. But the piston to wall clearance is SO tiny the only faint fear is having it stuck in the gap seems remote. Terrible, yes. But remote.

i think the force of the exhaust gas rushing out the 360 degree valve is the only way it’s coming out without disassembly.

in any event I’ll try it shortly. Thanks again to all.
Don't do it. The eraser will get stuck between the exhaust valve and the seat. Then you will really be in deep sh$%. I would try a vacuum pump with some small tubing , not a vacuum cleaner.
The following users liked this post:
VETTLIFE (06-30-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:01 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 876 Likes on 539 Posts

Follow up-

the eraser/clasp from the pencil exited the exhaust valve cleanly. I’m relieved, to say the least. Full 360 with the bore scope confirms we got it.

the truck is still having ignition woes so the exit happened not to be under combustion, but rather after several cranking cycles as we were troubleshooting the ignition- we paused and pulled the #1 plug and scoped it (handy because the engine wasn’t warm!).

I appreciate the replies for something OT - the words of warning were valid but I’m glad I skated by this time. You can bet I won’t be in this exact predicament again!
VikingTrad3r (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:16 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 179 Posts

Dodge that bullet! Glad it worked out.
ChattanoogaJSB (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:46 PM
Topduarte
Safety Car

Received 895 Likes on 581 Posts

Glad u got it out. I had something similar happen on my 94 LT1 when replacing the intake gaskets and a watch repairer's small screwdriver feel in one of the ports. I got lucky also.

Last edited by Topduarte; 06-26-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:10 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
Not sure at all. Are you sure it won't? How do you think one might find out?
After thinking about this I think it could exit the exhaust valve cleanly. Dan
Old 06-28-2024, 08:53 PM
Elduderino
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Follow up-

the eraser/clasp from the pencil exited the exhaust valve cleanly. I’m relieved, to say the least. Full 360 with the bore scope confirms we got it.

the truck is still having ignition woes so the exit happened not to be under combustion, but rather after several cranking cycles as we were troubleshooting the ignition- we paused and pulled the #1 plug and scoped it (handy because the engine wasn’t warm!).

I appreciate the replies for something OT - the words of warning were valid but I’m glad I skated by this time. You can be.t I won’t be in this exact predicament again!
Outstanding mon frere!!! This case reminded me of a time when a friend of mine had an 86 chevy cavalier and he was trying to extract evey possible ounce of hamster power that iron Duke engine woud put out so we went accoss town and purchase and then (in the parking lot) installed some special "high dollar sparks pugs" along with a bottle of 104 Octane, I mean man we were lookin for trouble that night! Anyway we broke a small piece of porcelien off the original spark plug and it fell down into the engine. Well, after considerabel debate over what to do and who's idea it was in the first place, he opted to crank-er-up and it and give it hell!! And well damn, it rattled for a second and we never heard from it again! Im sure it found a suitable home in the catalytic convereter and contributed to the loss of .0100012 horse power but we were shut of the ordeal and never spoke of the affair again.
ChattanoogaJSB (07-01-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 09:21 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would never have turned the engine over with that in the cylinder, exactly how to scratch a cylinder wall or worse case bend a valve. Some compressed air through an intake port would have shot that thing right out. Good to fish it out of the cat now that you know it's in there.

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 06-30-2024 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Pencil eraser in combustion chamber ?