C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 L98 Engine Block Surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 02:30 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 91 L98 Engine Block Surfaces

Hi everyone, I am ready to install the heads on my 91 L98 and I need to clean my engine block surfaces. I have the gasket materials off but trying to clean the head gasket paint marks/imprints and get to a clean shiny surface. Any suggestions on what to use without scarring/gouging the engine block? I saw a couple of threads that says to use scotch brite. Does that work without scarring up the surfaces? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:14 PM
Vets-Vet
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 176 Posts

Scotch bright is controversial. According to some sources scotchbright releases an oxide particle (IIRC) that is small enough to get between bearings and the surfaces they are trying to protect. According to others it is not. It is also said that shiny is not the goal, clean and smooth is the goal. I am sorry I do not have the answer for you but please take time to dig deeper into cleaning a blocks surface for heads. There are as many opinions as there are questions about cleaning the blocks surface.

Last edited by Vets-Vet; 06-27-2024 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hgoodwiniii (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:16 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vets-Vet
Scotch bright is controversial. According to some sources scotchbright releases an oxide particle that is small enough to get between bearings and the surfaces they are trying to protect. It is also said that shiny is not the goal, clean and smooth is the goal. I am sorry I do not have the answer for you but please take time to dig deeper into cleaning a blocks surface for heads.

Yea, I probably should have said smooth and clean; Dont care about shiny.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:43 PM
sheriffjim
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I will say I used scotchbrite pads on mine (very thoroughly) and have SO FAR not had any issues. Its been a couple thousand miles since then.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:42 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sheriffjim
I will say I used scotchbrite pads on mine (very thoroughly) and have SO FAR not had any issues. Its been a couple thousand miles since then.
That's good feedback sheriffjim. Keep us posted. I'm going to keep looking and see what other option(s) may be viable, as well. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
sheriffjim (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 11:05 PM
Cornhusker
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I’ve used lacquer thinner & a rag, it’s my go to when simple green doesn’t work. However I have used regular mineral spirits to wash down cylinders because it doesn’t evaporate as quickly as lacquer thinner.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 L98 Engine Block Surfaces

Quick Reply: 91 L98 Engine Block Surfaces