C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant color (I know, I know)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 11:21 AM
Soundwave
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant color (I know, I know)

I've searched and read - Im doing my opti and knocks are out. System is bone dry and plan to flush further with water

It was Dexcool orange. Back to green or stick with Dex?
Old 06-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 593 Posts

I changed my 96 to green but there are people here who really like dex. Dan
Old 06-28-2024, 10:29 PM
sheriffjim
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Personally I would do green simply because it seems to be slightly cheaper. I don't think it really makes much of a difference although maybe I'm wrong. I have green in mine.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:01 AM
siryeetington
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run green in mine with zero issues although there isnt really anything wrong with using dex either
Old 06-29-2024, 07:36 AM
Kilobuck84
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 141 Posts

Prestone makes a green extended life coolant if you're bent on color. I certainly wouldn't go back to plain ol' standard ethylene glycol. My next service I'm going to Dex-Cool. My concern with using a green extended life is one may mix plain ol' with it by accident.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:32 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilobuck84
Prestone makes a green extended life coolant if you're bent on color. I certainly wouldn't go back to plain ol' standard ethylene glycol. My next service I'm going to Dex-Cool. My concern with using a green extended life is one may mix plain ol' with it by accident.
I understand the concern with mixing Dex and green but a little regular Prestone Green with the extended life should not matter. This is just my opinion. I have to believe the extended life just has more additives. Dan
Old 06-29-2024, 10:56 AM
Kilobuck84
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
I understand the concern with mixing Dex and green but a little regular Prestone Green with the extended life should not matter. This is just my opinion. I have to believe the extended life just has more additives. Dan
Extended life was originally an "organic" additive technology that was incompatible with the silicate additives originally used in "green" antifreeze. That's where Dex-Cool probably got slandered as Dex-Clog. Because people didn't pay attention and mixed the two.

I know there are more and newer formulations out there now that may not turn into glue, but you would still compromise the longevity benefit of an extended life antifreeze by mixing conventional antifreeze with it. I'd be doing a lot of label reading before I played around with that. It's straight Dex-Cool for this fool, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Whaleman (06-29-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant color (I know, I know)

Quick Reply: Coolant color (I know, I know)