C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 vats issues.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
Evan Vette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 vats issues.

Hello, working on a 96 vette with the typical intermittent no start. Especially on very hot days. I suspect issues with the ccm. I've bypass the key with resistor a long time ago. I know how to bypass the security relay for the starter. The problem I have is the fuel enable circuit. It's supposedly circuit 229 from the red plug on the computer position #25. But that position has no wires connected to the pin. What am I missing here? Is there a chance this is different since it's the last year for the c4 and first year for obd11. Anyone else go down the rabbit hole? Thanks for any help.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,288 Likes on 2,045 Posts

You obviously don't have the FSM because of your mention of incorrect connector and circuitry. Do you have the FSM(Factory/Field) Service Manual? I believe you look into doing something with the 'denso starter. Will contacts and a plunger correct it? Maybe!
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Evan Vette
7th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You obviously don't have the FSM because of your mention of incorrect connector and circuitry. Do you have the FSM(Factory/Field) Service Manual? I believe you look into doing something with the 'denso starter. Will contacts and a plunger correct it? Maybe!
I do not have a service manual. Are you suggesting a problem with the starter? Starter works fine. When i have the no start issue i can bypass the security relay. The car will start but wont run because its not getting fuel. Hence I'm missing the 2nd part of the vats system to bypass. The fuel enable ckt.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 421 Posts

Not to harp on what WVZR-1 asked but does your manual look similar to this (but for your year) a FACTORY manual, Hays/Chilton and Some of the E-Manuals can have gaps.

Last edited by s carter; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
Evan Vette
7th Gear

I do not have any service manuals. Been looking online at diagrams and following the directions for a complete vats bypass I purchased. Again looking for help with the fuel enable circuit 229.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

For a '96 that's not the circuit!

Does your car 'ALWAYS CRANK' even when HOT?

Many years ago a fellow posted thoughts regarding 'Fuel Enable(FEDS)' on later Corvettes. I don't recall anyone ever posting back regarding the square wave device like you've purchased. This post was regarding a '95 which I don't believe used the connector and circuit you mentioned.

I doubt a device like you've purchased will work with a PCM/CCM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590032999

Last edited by WVZR-1; Yesterday at 09:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Evan Vette
7th Gear

It's very intermittent. Mostly hot as in ambient temperature not a hot running car. Even then as I said earlier I can make the car start in this bo start situation by jumping out the security relay, essentially bypassing that part of the vats system. The car will turn over but not run more than a few seconds due to the vats system not allowing fuel.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evan Vette
It's very intermittent. Mostly hot as in ambient temperature not a hot running car. Even then as I said earlier I can make the car start in this bo start situation by jumping out the security relay, essentially bypassing that part of the vats system. The car will turn over but not run more than a few seconds due to the vats system not allowing fuel.
Whose 'by-pass' did you buy? Mention that and if someone has used it successfully with a later C4 with a PCM & CCM they'll likely post back.

I would imagine for sure that IHBD will respond.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,391 Likes on 932 Posts

You could always go back to “Timers Shop” for tech support for the bypass you bought that didn’t solve the problem.
Old Today, 12:03 AM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,328 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Evan Vette
Again looking for help with the fuel enable circuit 229.
After 1991 there is no circuit 229. (blue wire).

You can't use the timers.shop signal generator on any a 1992-1996 LT1/4. (I don't know what the 92-95 ZR-1 uses for Fuel Enable.) It won't work because the ECM is looking for a 'code' on the data line circuit 800. 1992 and later no longer utilize a separate circuit 229 that carries a square wave signal. It's "data" on circuit 800.

You may or may not know this. Beginning in 1990, if the SECURITY light is solid-ON with the key in RUN, you have an active VATS inhibit. If the SECURITY light is OFF with the key in RUN, your no-crank / no start is not "VATS".

If you don't have a solid on SECURITY light with the key in RUN, you may want to learn about using the onboard diagnostics to query the CCM for its codes. There's another current thread (today) that addresses the onboard diagnostics.

Last edited by IHBD; Today at 12:18 AM. Reason: He has a 96. I removed the 92/93 stuff as irrellevant.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 vats issues.

Quick Reply: 1996 vats issues.