C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm through w/ the Optispark. Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
Need4Sneed
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm through w/ the Optispark. Alternatives?

Hi guys I'm having a hard time finding any conclusive threads on here to alternative ignition setups for my '94. My patience with this car has run very thin with the amount of times I've been stranded with the previous Optispark and my current Petris Opti.

ALDL keeps throwing me the dreaded H16 Low Res Pulse code at times (besides H13 lol); car stalls 4/5 drives i take--and half the time it does so, the tach jumps around like it's on fent seconds before. I'm not spending another $900 on a Petris kit again, and I'd rather spend that money on something that will get me an actually reliable ignition system. I've checked my electrical connections and checked that my Opti was installed correctly. I've also dabbled in the flow chart for that code as well from an old thread. Additionally, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks exist so they couldn't have gotten into this supposedly sealed Petris model. And it just so happens I'm a month out of my warranty for it.

I've heard of the LTCC kit but doesn't that still require the Opti? Why would I add more components to an already unreliable ignition system that still uses the most unreliable part? Is there a way to just put an old distributor in it and call it good? I'd imagine that'd make the ECU freak out but are there solutions out there? A lot of you know more about this platform than I so I'm open to listening to whatever the experts here say. I also found this https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...efi-24x-lt1lt4 but I don't know what part i should get...

Forgive me if all this seemed a bit b1tchy but I've never had such an awful ignition system before. It's a shame because this car is absolutely fantastic otherwise and it's been my dream car since a child--and I'd like it to not give me an aneurysm every year, since I'm gonna be keeping this thing. And no it's not a 'get used to it bc it's old' thing because I drive 3 other vehicles over 25yrs and they have never given me this much trouble (yet?) and no I am not interested in keeping the Opti if i don't have to.

Appreciate all the helpful feedback.

Last edited by Need4Sneed; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Need4Sneed
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's also so hard to replicate this problem because of how inconsistent/random it seems to be. I originally thought it was due to some sort of overheating outside but it did the same during cool evenings, but not as much (to my knowledge but like I said it happens so randomly). Not sure if this is related at all to the Opti but sometimes my digital gauge shows my voltage being 13.9 or 14.1 instead of it's formerly usual 14.3ish. Stalls at intersections, stalls while driving 40mph, you name it.

Quick Reply: I'm through w/ the Optispark. Alternatives?