C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Serpentine belt path on 1990

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Don in VT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt path on 1990

Hi,

Could anyone out there show me the belt path and belt tensioner position for our 1990 ZR1 ? The FSM shows one tensioner position and the GM LT5 supplement (red manual) shows a completely different location.

Thanks,\\

Don
Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Don in VT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Path

Hi,

I just made a rookie mistake and was looking at the L98 belt path. I have the right one now. N response is necessary.

Sorry.

Don
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Serpentine Belt Path

Originally Posted by Don in VT
Hi,

Could anyone out there show me the belt path and belt tensioner position for our 1990 ZR1 ? The FSM shows one tensioner position and the GM LT5 supplement (red manual) shows a completely different location.

Thanks,\\

Don
Lets see...how to explain.....Over the Power steering.....over the AC compressor....under water pump (under drive-smooth side of belt).......over Alternator.......past belt tensioner (under drive-smooth side of belt).......under Balancer.

I use a wooden stick about 3 feet long to wedge the belt tensioner into its fully compressed condition and then work on the serpentine belt around the alternator pulley.

I am using this belt which I think is 79.5 inches which fits tight (just able to get it on with tensioner compressed). But then I have Randy Woods Power Steering aluminum pulley as well as his aluminum water pump pulley.
http://www.zr1products.com/#!products

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Replacing an Alternator

Originally Posted by Don in VT
Hi,

I just made a rookie mistake and was looking at the L98 belt path. I have the right one now. N response is necessary.

Sorry.

Don

I have both the L98 and the LT5 so have both to look at
The belts are considerably different in length

I posted an answere almost within the second of you answereing your own question....guess we maybe just leave it like it is as others may find it useful without having to dig out the manuals.

Also....you might take a peak at the Tech Info - LT5 Modifications Sticky in this section if you are interested in a nice clean installation of an Oil Catch Can.

Don:
If you have to remove your Alternator as mentioned off line, post up as that would be a good thread for a discussion.

If no post on Alternator removal I will comment here since you have removed/replaced your surpentine belt

Alternator removal is going to be NO FUN. I just looked and it appears to me the easiest method to remove the Alternator would be to remove the Plenum.You have to drain some coolant because of coolant in IH and TB. It appears that removing the passenger side coolant manifold on IH only will be a tight squeeze for removal of Alternator. You would not have to remove the passenger side coolant manifold on IH if you removed the Plenum.

Assuming the Alternator cannot be removed/replaced easily by its self without Plenum removal.......the following may apply.

I would remove the Plenum and eliminate throttle body coolant once and for all. That way you can remove the plenum from then on without messing with coolant. The only issue then becomes the ability to recapture and reuse the Plenum/Injector Housing gaskets. All this is shown in the Tech Info - LT5 Modifications/Rebuild Sticky in this C4 ZR-1 Discussion Section. Specifically shown in the LT5 Eliminated Systems reference mentioned in the first post of that Sticky.

Removing the plenum takes only 5 minutes for me now. Putting the plenum back on takes just a bit longer but only because of that bolt in the large electrical connection to the Ignition Distributor Control Module (DIS) attached under the Plenum. I plug in two electrical connectors from the front of plenum to front of DIS and I think three electrical connectors from the rear of plenum to rear of DIS including that bolt in the DIS module (tools for that are also shown in that sticky mentioned above to make Plenum removal and installation very easy).

Before you lift off the Plenum you have to disconnect some vacuum lines, PCV connections, MAP connections, Brake booster vacuum, and TB cables which can all be done in about the time it took you to read this

Once the Plenum is removed, it is a straightforward proceedure to remove/replace the Alternator. The Alternator electrical connections are made before setting the new/rebuilt Alternator back in place

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Serpentine belt path on 1990

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt path on 1990