C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I put a TT goat in here? PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Can I put a TT goat in here? PICS!!!

Guess we'll find out.

2005 LS2 GTO 6 speed

Long story short, I gave my cousin some turbos,..we brainstormed, and came up with an idea to TT the daily driven stock(fast 90-diablo tune-coldair-12.50car) GTO...for as little as possible. I gave him two schweitzer turbos, brand new, T3 housing's....that I just got back from miketurbo.com and we upgraded them to GT35r compressor wheels,...with new coldside housings...which brought them to a 60-1. We had the headers made custom, from two fabricators, with our layout/design. I supplied the turbos, and alot of the left over hand me down from my TT vette. All in all, it came out really good,...just looking for an honest 550-650rwhp on a daily note.

Car went 12.50's at PBIR on street tires...with cold air, diablosport predator tune, and a coldair with funnel filter/K&N. Now we have a textralia clutch in the car as well, with lingenfelter pump, and siemens 80lb injectors.

So..fast 90, 80 lbers, custom tublar manifold 60-1 TT setup, treadstone intercooler, we tilted radiator to achieve a frontal feed, down pipes are only 2 1/2 inch,...and we picked up a used borla catback,...it'll have a custom diablosport tune, and that will be that, for now. Oh, turbosmart 38mm wastegates off my car, bov's are from RPS,...we head EVERYTHING coated black from CALICO coatings,... then we wrapped EVERYTHING hot with the Titanium lava wrap. We insulated hood, fenders,...etc. Stuff looks WICKED in person... wicked. Like carbon fiber. Other then that... thats all she wrote. The CCws are only for easy moving around our personal shop.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
BEARSZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEARSZ
Cool!
Thanks Bearsz, we're almost done. I need to add in an oil return pump...haven't bought one yet... and also run all vac lines. A keen eye will notice that the PCM is missing from the last spot. We figured we'd save weight by not running one.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Yellow03Z06
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty cool. I like how the turbos sit evenly on each side. Good work
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice front mount design. How hot does it get where the turbos sit ?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

HAHA, I saw the first pics and was like dammmmm, someone built a junkyard turbo kit. But after I scrolled down, and saw the finished kit, it looks niiice..

Good Job!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM
0Brian@FI Performance
Former Vendor

Location: FI Performance : Norwalk Connecticut www.FIPERFORMANCE.com

I like the overall concept, nice work.

Brian
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow! Nice work! You got some skills man.

Hope the thread stays and you can tell us how it does at the track.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Yellow03Z06
That's pretty cool. I like how the turbos sit evenly on each side. Good work
We wanted them as equal as possible, thanks for noticing and the compliments.

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Nice front mount design. How hot does it get where the turbos sit ?
Hasn't even ran yet tony but, we have everything blanketed, the hot side has been coated, we have a blanket on the turbo, the fenders have sheets of lava wrap... we mildly trimed the opening on the nostrils on the hood, to allow more airflow in,... we're hoping it doesn't get to crazy.....but,...these are turbos, they do generate, or can generate over 1000 degrees... it will have some heat built in that area.

Originally Posted by Jeff @ TPE
HAHA, I saw the first pics and was like dammmmm, someone built a junkyard turbo kit. But after I scrolled down, and saw the finished kit, it looks niiice..

Good Job!!
Gotcha! Ha... thanks man. It's been a work in progress for sure. Even that last picture,...it still isn't complete, nor is anything finished in there. STill have some tidying up to do.

Originally Posted by Brian@FI Performance
I like the overall concept, nice work.

Brian
Thanks Brian, we got the idea from promod style/protouringstyle/ptk style twins setup. Wanted it to be efficent, and not chop up the car doing it.

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Wow! Nice work! You got some skills man.

Hope the thread stays and you can tell us how it does at the track.

I hope so too. I must admit though, I did not do the welding,..we had a dude make them,...which took forever. Glad you like the kit,...just looking for some over all fun, with a sleeper look on the outside. Underhood, all buisness,...even though at the moment, it's a stock long block.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks Jamie, was just curious about the heat that was created by putting the turbos upfront like that.

Have been thinking about doing a single front mount on my SW Z06 in the future by laying down the radiator, etc ... upfront to make some room.

Wish I could weld but I can't. Could tack everything up and take it some where to be welded.

Hopefully somebody (shop) will come out with a TT system or front mount that works well.

Your system is nice except for the heat it creates up by the hood. I got imagine it just about melts the hood when you're really on it.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Thanks Jamie, was just curious about the heat that was created by putting the turbos upfront like that.

Have been thinking about doing a single front mount on my SW Z06 in the future by laying down the radiator, etc ... upfront to make some room.

Wish I could weld but I can't. Could tack everything up and take it some where to be welded.

Hopefully somebody (shop) will come out with a TT system or front mount that works well.

Your system is nice except for the heat it creates up by the hood. I got imagine it just about melts the hood when you're really on it.

Your welcome Tony. I have often thought about laying my radiator flat as well... I know it has been done,..just not exactly sure with how well it would do in the daily grind. I don't drive it daily anymore but, I still have the want to be able to,..with all of our cars. Even after my vette is done,. it should be beastly but I will be driving that beotch everywhere.

As far as welding,..it's pretty easy to tack everything up. With a person as skilled as yourself in building a car, I would imagine your brain could handle it. It's like anything, just takes practice. It is an artform,..clean welds but,.. you gotta start somewhere. My first welds looked like boogers.... I was using a crappy welder but,... they do get better over a small amount of time. But a nice welder...$2000 roughly will get you started... and have at it. But, a 200 dollar welder will be fine for tacking...

As far as the heat...believe me when I tell you that my kit isn't that bad as far as heat......when you prepared for it. My hood, did turn yellow after the first week....I didn't notice it until it was under some crazy lighting. I then buffed it out, without any effort at all(all hand).....then I insulated it(hood).. I never had a problem again. It really isn;t that bad but,..I have my front bumper opened,..I have the naca ducts... all that stuff does help. But honestly,..the heat treatment stuff thats available now, is crazy.

If your in town when my car is done,.. feel free to come by anytime, and we'll take her out for a ride,..and put some heat into it. The hood,..before the inner heat treatment,..was SUPER HOT to the TOUCH...but after the panels I installed....nice and cool.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 343 Likes on 282 Posts

Lookin' real good bro

That thing ought to hump - but I guess my main concern is tuning - Why are you not going to do a Dyno tune with Hp Tuners or EFI Live?

I am really interested in the final numbers when it is done 1/4 mile or Dyno?

Thanks,matt
Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Lookin' real good bro

That thing ought to hump - but I guess my main concern is tuning - Why are you not going to do a Dyno tune with Hp Tuners or EFI Live?

I am really interested in the final numbers when it is done 1/4 mile or Dyno?

Thanks,matt

Thanks Matt, we appreciate that.

As for tuning, I have had all of my tuning done by diablosport. I've probably made love to over a hundred cars,..they've tuned them all,...including my vette. Brian Mcmahon and Johan Mangs did the vette tune,....all have been on the dyno. When I say predator tune,..or diablo tune, I didn't mean like one directly from the predator itself,...although, I have modded cars, and had no cals for them,..other then the predator, and I have made them run safely, like stock, to the dyno for a proper tune. So, the predator is limited itself but, you'd be surprised what you could do with it,.. in the time of need.

This goat, will be tuned by the diablosport crew,..it will be on a dyno for sure. I appreciate your concern, and i'm with you. But these dudes have always done a great job. Lok at my vette,...stock 346ci motor,...twin 67's,..12 degrees of timing, 11.5 psi....787rwhp. Safe. The goat will get the same treatment,...just less power.

FYI we use a permanent mounted wideband, as well as data logging software to tune these things. Diablosport uses CMR software, builds a tune, and uploads it to a predator(removing the stock predator cal) ...then puts it into the cars PCM. That way,...when the car goes to the dealership,..it can be flashed back to a stock car,..and... thats that. Stock cal...at your fingertips.

How many guys have gone to a dealership, with there custom dyno tunes,...and lost it, cause some unknowing TECH,..uploaded the latest factory reflash from gm,....erasing your tune? That'd be ok if you had a back up stored in efi live, or in your Predator tune,... cause it stores it,.... and never looses it.

Anyways matt, sorry for the long reply,..just responding. Thanks again for the input man,..I do appreciate it. Dyno numbers will be near
Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I've see a few race cars up at ACP with the radiators flipped forward like that picture I posted in another thread. I figured if I did that I would have some room up front.

Yeah, I was goingto look for a deal on ebay or craigslist for welder and pick that up. Figure I can practice on some metal plates or old exhaust pipes for a bit to get the hang of it.

I should be down your way again in November, so If you get the car done by then that would be great, if not may still try to find some time to just stop over.

Tony

Originally Posted by Smoove
Your welcome Tony. I have often thought about laying my radiator flat as well... I know it has been done,..just not exactly sure with how well it would do in the daily grind. I don't drive it daily anymore but, I still have the want to be able to,..with all of our cars. Even after my vette is done,. it should be beastly but I will be driving that beotch everywhere.

As far as welding,..it's pretty easy to tack everything up. With a person as skilled as yourself in building a car, I would imagine your brain could handle it. It's like anything, just takes practice. It is an artform,..clean welds but,.. you gotta start somewhere. My first welds looked like boogers.... I was using a crappy welder but,... they do get better over a small amount of time. But a nice welder...$2000 roughly will get you started... and have at it. But, a 200 dollar welder will be fine for tacking...

As far as the heat...believe me when I tell you that my kit isn't that bad as far as heat......when you prepared for it. My hood, did turn yellow after the first week....I didn't notice it until it was under some crazy lighting. I then buffed it out, without any effort at all(all hand).....then I insulated it(hood).. I never had a problem again. It really isn;t that bad but,..I have my front bumper opened,..I have the naca ducts... all that stuff does help. But honestly,..the heat treatment stuff thats available now, is crazy.

If your in town when my car is done,.. feel free to come by anytime, and we'll take her out for a ride,..and put some heat into it. The hood,..before the inner heat treatment,..was SUPER HOT to the TOUCH...but after the panels I installed....nice and cool.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

I'll be on the lookout for a goat with the paint burn't off the corners of the hood

Looks like fun.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FRCTony
I'll be on the lookout for a goat with the paint burn't off the corners of the hood

Looks like fun.

Maybe you didn't see the extensive heat treatment that we put on this badboy?..... This thing will be fine. If my vette didn't have a problem with it's twins...(much closer to anything)...this thing will be cool. Literally.

Should be fun though.. thanks man.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I put a TT goat in here? PICS!!!

Quick Reply: Can I put a TT goat in here? PICS!!!