C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A & A Install/Alky/Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A & A Install/Alky/Gauges

I'm getting a V3-SI installed in my 2003Z in two weeks. Is there any advantage to getting an Alky set up at the same time versus later? I understand that I'll need a retune if I wait.

I'm also wondering about the necessity of gauges. The common consensus from the forum appears to be boost and wideband. Is fuel pressure a non-starter?

I've had many corvette's but this will be my first boosted LS.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I highly recommend that you go with an ECS Alkey control meth system. You tuner will be able to give you a little more of an aggressive tune and you will have some safety as meth will drop your IATs drastically to help keep your bottom end around for hopefully a long time. By doing this, you will save money by tuning only once instead of a retune later on!

Do a search and you will see that anyone that has meth does not regret getting it. 100% positive that Boost and Meth go together like Peas and Carrots!

As far as gauges, I run fuel pressure and boost as these can possibly change! It's nice to see constant boost and fuel pressure at all times!

Enjoy your new setup and start saving for tires and a new clutch in the future as both will be needed with your new found power!

Welcome to the dark side!

Also if I were you, if you do go with meth, skip the 3.8 pulley and go with a 3.4 or 3.6 to net around 10-12lbs of boost, you will have a wicked setup from the get go! just my .02

Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 02-05-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Welcome to boost, get ready to spend some $$$$'s but its worth it, you will not even think your driving the same car!

So what are your HP goals with your build? What supporting mods do you have or are you planning? Far as meth goes if you are leaning toward getting it one way or the other and can fit it in now dollars wise do it now. While everything is out of the way and the car is already at the shop just have it done. Plus you can have the tune worked in with it from the start and either go for additional HP gains or just put the meth on top of your setup for safety.

As far as gauges go some have them some don't, depends on what you want to visually monitor. Thing is your gonna need eyes on the road when the boost is kickin not on gauges. Wideband, boost and FP are often used.

I have been doing my build in stages and ran last year with no meth or gauges. This winter while headers, clutch and head upgrades are being done I may do a wideband and boost.

Have fun and when ya get the car back enjoy!

Darion
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the great replies. I'm going to see if I can swing the meth at the same time as the A & A installation. I'm also getting Pfadt shocks and swaybars installed also. I will probably wait on the gauges for awhile

My previous car was an 09 Z06 and my goal is to reach similar hp/tq capabilities without having 80K invested. I've got 24K (23000 miles on the odo..) into the car now and with the subject installs will be looking at about 33K into it. I actually prefer not worrying about a warrantee (some people will say that's the big advantage of the 09). I'll use my 03Z similar to my previous 09Z, running VIR a couple times a year and the strip maybe once in a blue moon.

I owned 3 C-6s and this is my second C-5. For whatever reason, I prefer the C-5 "feel" and looks.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,602 Likes on 681 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Do it all at once. Supercharger, meth, and tune. You won't regret it. It will set you back a bit $$ but it's worth it. You won't have to go back to the shop for a while. I would've done the trans on mine too, but I figured that can always be done later on. Gauges are probably not as important at the moment. You won't be looking at them much anyway. I finally started looking at mine a little to see how much boost the blower is making. (Not an easy thing to do). My build was done in late November. Good luck and congrats!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save the money you'd spend on gauges and put it towards a new clutch 'cuz you're going to need one.

It all comes down to a good tune. If the tune is right, you shouldn't have to watch the motor. If the tune is wrong, your motor will be toast so fast that you won't have time to react to anything you see on gauges...
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTeamZ06
Save the money you'd spend on gauges and put it towards a new clutch 'cuz you're going to need one.

It all comes down to a good tune. If the tune is right, you shouldn't have to watch the motor. If the tune is wrong, your motor will be toast so fast that you won't have time to react to anything you see on gauges...
Spot on!

Darion
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay....I'm going to wait on gauges and start looking at what clutch to go with in the future. Since I've only got 23000 on my current one and it seems fine I'll use it up first.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
I highly recommend that you go with an ECS Alkey control meth system. You tuner will be able to give you a little more of an aggressive tune and you will have some safety as meth will drop your IATs drastically to help keep your bottom end around for hopefully a long time. By doing this, you will save money by tuning only once instead of a retune later on!

Do a search and you will see that anyone that has meth does not regret getting it. 100% positive that Boost and Meth go together like Peas and Carrots!

As far as gauges, I run fuel pressure and boost as these can possibly change! It's nice to see constant boost and fuel pressure at all times!

Enjoy your new setup and start saving for tires and a new clutch in the future as both will be needed with your new found power!

Welcome to the dark side!

Also if I were you, if you do go with meth, skip the 3.8 pulley and go with a 3.4 or 3.6 to net around 10-12lbs of boost, you will have a wicked setup from the get go! just my .02
any thing to do with motor and tune save and do all of that at one time..... Robert

Get notified of new replies

To A & A Install/Alky/Gauges

Quick Reply: A & A Install/Alky/Gauges