C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Why does my belt keep coming loose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
highpsi98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Why does my belt keep coming loose?

Hi guys, I have an 02 coupe with a pro-charger p1sc1. I'm running a 3.85" blower pulley, I have an A&A 3rd gen bracket, billet innovators west crank pulley, and ECS fixed idler assembly. I bought the car last August, and it already had the mods done. In November the belt came loose and I noticed a drop in boost, so I tightened the belt and I maxed it out. It worked for a little while then went loose again. So, I bought a smaller belt and got it good and tight. This new belt might have about 200 miles on it. This past weekend I noticed a drop in boost again. Now the new belt is loose. I gotta admit I'm a novice with the forced induction stuff so I might be missing something simple. The pulley's are only 6-rib, and I thought maybe they should be 8-rib? I'm going to tighten the new belt more on Wednesday and see what happens. Any ideas as to why my belt might keep coming loose? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
HvyHitr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand belts are you using?

Does the rib side seem to be wearing down to nothing?

What boost are you runing?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
highpsi98
Instructor

Originally Posted by Repoman
What brand belts are you using?

Does the rib side seem to be wearing down to nothing?

What boost are you runing?
The belt I put on was a car quest belt. The rib side seemed ok on the old belt. I haven't looked at that side on the new belt. But I don't see any black dust from the belt anywhere. It will max out at 12 pounds of boost.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

you need to switch to Gates green HD belt.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by highpsi98
The belt I put on was a car quest belt. The rib side seemed ok on the old belt. I haven't looked at that side on the new belt. But I don't see any black dust from the belt anywhere. It will max out at 12 pounds of boost.
Man pull the belt off and see what the measurement from the time you put it on at first. If it is longer then get a better belt other than what you are getting. This is what it is sounding like to me...Robert
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
highpsi98
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
Man pull the belt off and see what the measurement from the time you put it on at first. If it is longer then get a better belt other than what you are getting. This is what it is sounding like to me...Robert
I'll check that out when I get a chance to pull it off. What belts do you guys suggest I get? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 440 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by highpsi98
I'll check that out when I get a chance to pull it off. What belts do you guys suggest I get? Thanks!
Mark your tensioner pulley and see if that's moving on you. Maybe you need a lock washer. Crank down on those two bolts. Top and bottom. You do have the adjustable pulley correct from A&A?????? I don't think your belt could streach that much

Last edited by helga203; 04-17-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by helga203
Mark your tensioner pulley and see if that's moving on you. Maybe you need a lock washer. Crank down on those two bolts. Top and bottom. You do have the adjustable pulley correct from A&A?????? I don't think your belt could streach that much
I took it that he had all the correct parts here to run the set up..I am also taking it that all the pulleys are lined up correct are with a loose belt also he would be cutting the belts and coming off the pulleys. Robert
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
highpsi98
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert miller
I took it that he had all the correct parts here to run the set up..I am also taking it that all the pulleys are lined up correct are with a loose belt also he would be cutting the belts and coming off the pulleys. Robert
This is the setup I have from A&A...

http://www.aacorvette.com/supercharg...roducts_id=163

I checked the tensioner bolt and the top bolt. Both were super tight.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Gates belt is what you want to run. If the adjustment idler on the bracket hasn't slipped (moved in the bolt hole groove), your belt might be streatching. The belt needs to be tight to begin with too, mine is as tight as I can get it. I just leave a little swing left on the spring loaded idler.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike04
Gates belt is what you want to run. If the adjustment idler on the bracket hasn't slipped (moved in the bolt hole groove), your belt might be streatching. The belt needs to be tight to begin with too, mine is as tight as I can get it. I just leave a little swing left on the spring loaded idler.
Gates is the only way to go with F/I set up.. Robert
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 440 Likes on 377 Posts

Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
highpsi98
Instructor

I looked at the packaging the belt I bought and installed last. I kept it in the car so I'd know the part number if I needed another one. Anyways, I got the belt at car quest and the label said car quest on it, but it also said gates on it. Does Gates make belts for car quest?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they do. Here is/are the HD belt PNs:

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/b...eg--belts.html
Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the belt is too long still. You should not be able to just slip the belt on and then tension. The belt should fight hard to get on before tensioning.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:38 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Sounds like the belt is too long still. You should not be able to just slip the belt on and then tension. The belt should fight hard to get on before tensioning.

Get notified of new replies

To Help: Why does my belt keep coming loose?

Quick Reply: Help: Why does my belt keep coming loose?