Sponsored by:

HP gain with BLACKWING

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,197 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkIVette
Maybe for your elevation and dry air out there in Vegas. But for here in the MidWest, you wouldn't get 300 out of yours then.

Invite me out there and put me up for a week so I can test mine.
My Dyno was done in So. Calif.

Everybody is invited to Vegas. Just rememeber "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"
Old 12-16-2006, 01:00 AM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS
I agree -- and it would really be helpful to me, if you could tell me how much (if any) each of these mods added to my car's baseline hp and torque:

1. Blackwing = ___ hp1-2

2. No MAF screen = ___ hp0

3. 80mm BBK TB = ___ hp0-1

4. LS6 manifold = ___ hp8-12

5. Corsa catback = ___ hp4-5

6. No custom "tune" = ___ hp

Then, I could subtract and come to a baseline, since I never bothered with a baseline dyno.

Thank you very much for your help.
there you go give or take 1 or 2 rwhp
Old 12-16-2006, 01:04 AM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by talon90
My '97 mn6 with stock tune (345 hp from the fatory) netted a 308.84 hp and 317.21 tq with a blackwing and Corsa touring catback. The Dyno was done on a mobil dyno by a forum member at the National Corvette Museum No tune and stock internals. Take from that what you will but for those that are claiming zero are just plain wrong. While an intake will not make the gains that most of the sites claim they will net something. The stock airbox on a C5 is pathetic. The car needs to breath free and the intake and to a lesser extent the exhaust changes will help it make more power. With what has come to be expected for baseline information on the early C5's It would seem that my intake and catback netted total somewhere between 8 and 13 or so hp at the wheels. YMMV.

Paul
your making claims about somehting you know nothing about. what was your base line before each mod and with each mod individually? a catback is not where the exhaust is bottled up. it is 90% the headers and maybe 8% mid pipe
Old 12-16-2006, 01:07 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Catback maybe 4-5 hp tops. I'm a realist.
You're also crazy.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 AM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HawkIVette
You're also crazy.
why would you think you make anymore than 5rwhp with a catback? is the factory catback not mendral bent?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by longrodlx
your making claims about somehting you know nothing about. what was your base line before each mod and with each mod individually? a catback is not where the exhaust is bottled up. it is 90% the headers and maybe 8% mid pipe
It has been widely argued for years that an exhaust upgrade is done for the sound. Those arguements have been backed up with dyno sheets to kill a forest. While the stock mufflers are more restrictive than an aftermarket as you so eloquently put it, that isn't the sum of the restriction. The factory H pipe and headers are the culprit. This is precisely why I wonder what makes you think that a Corsa cat back will net someone 4 or 5 hp? Oh and b.t.w., you don't know me and better stand down about telling me that I know nothing. I may not be up to your speed sparky but I've been around this site and have lived thru this topic over and over again. I also owned a C5 with said mods. You want to impress me do it with your knowledge but lose the attitude, you're not entitled to it. Mmkay?

Last edited by talon90; 12-16-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:19 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by talon90
It has been widely argued for years that an exhaust upgrade is done for the sound. Those arguements have been backed up with dyno sheets to kill a forest. While the stock mufflers are more restrictive than an aftermarket as you so eloquently put it, that isn't the sum of the restriction. The factory H pipe and headers are the culprit. This is precisely why I wonder what makes you think that a Corsa cat back will net someone 4 or 5 hp? Oh and b.t.w., you don't know me and better stand down about telling me that I know nothing. I may not be up to your speed sparky but I've been around this site and have lived thru this topic over and over again. I also owned a C5 with said mods. You want to impress me do it with your knowledge but lose the attitude, you're not entitled to it. Mmkay?
check my post right above yours about the catback. seems we are arguing about something we both agree on oh yeah no attitude here, i just see a lot of misinformed posts on a lot of these threads and i dont think someone should be responding unless they know what they are talking about from something other than a magazine ad or another misinformed post they read
Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM
66frommd
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by MagikDraggin
Gee, my '04 A4 WITH a Blackwing and Corsa on the dyno only came up with 292 rwhp and 311 rwtq. And it came stock with the LS6 intake.

Guess mine's a real factory dog, ehh? Funny thing though, when I speak to Corvette owners outside of this forum, my numbers seem to be right in line with the majority as to what they should be.

Why do you (rhetorically) feel that is?
I'm the new guy on the block who finally bought his childhood dream car. When I joined the forum and posted I got a lot of welcomes and conversations with other owners. I felt that since I'm coming in on the back end of the tried and true experimentation of these 15-22 year old rockets, surely I could read on and find out what I could do to enhance the giddyup on mine. I have learned to trust the voice of experience, though I've had to also learn how to trust but verify. As I have anxiously read particular threads, getting to the bottom of it I've been able to make more informed decisions. I was close to pulling the trigger on an SLP Blackwing until I read through this thread. Now I'm ready to just duct tape a bag of ice over my radiator to get the cai effect. May not work, but I will have saved $249.00 minus the ice and duct tape yielding similar results.
I like this forum, there is so much information for someone that doesn't have a lot of Corvette friends to hang out with. I do plan on redoing my exhaust to get a deeper sound, console for touch screen audio, and have some ideas for an interior beef up and make over. Nothing so fancy that I can't just jump in and roll out though. I didn't want a trailer/hangar queen, I wanted the driving experience. Thanks to you guys that shoot straight info I can make informed decisions
Old 05-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 66frommd
I'm the new guy on the block who finally bought his childhood dream car. When I joined the forum and posted I got a lot of welcomes and conversations with other owners. I felt that since I'm coming in on the back end of the tried and true experimentation of these 15-22 year old rockets, surely I could read on and find out what I could do to enhance the giddyup on mine. I have learned to trust the voice of experience, though I've had to also learn how to trust but verify. As I have anxiously read particular threads, getting to the bottom of it I've been able to make more informed decisions. I was close to pulling the trigger on an SLP Blackwing until I read through this thread. Now I'm ready to just duct tape a bag of ice over my radiator to get the cai effect. May not work, but I will have saved $249.00 minus the ice and duct tape yielding similar results.
I like this forum, there is so much information for someone that doesn't have a lot of Corvette friends to hang out with. I do plan on redoing my exhaust to get a deeper sound, console for touch screen audio, and have some ideas for an interior beef up and make over. Nothing so fancy that I can't just jump in and roll out though. I didn't want a trailer/hangar queen, I wanted the driving experience. Thanks to you guys that shoot straight info I can make informed decisions
Welcome thread archaeologist! You have dug up an old one here.
Don't waste your money buying a new intake. Keep an eye on the parts section here and you should find something that works for you much cheaper and you might make a friend or good contact.
There are a ton of exhaust choices. You need to figure out what matters the most to you and then go from there.
Good luck!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,155 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Dredging up a 13yr old thread wins the internet, today.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 PM
66frommd
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Might have an answer

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Welcome thread archaeologist! You have dug up an old one here.
Don't waste your money buying a new intake. Keep an eye on the parts section here and you should find something that works for you much cheaper and you might make a friend or good contact.
There are a ton of exhaust choices. You need to figure out what matters the most to you and then go from there.
Good luck!
Think I’ll just take out the ol hole saw and make it happen.

Quick Reply: HP gain with BLACKWING