Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: How I Remove Scratches and Swirls with the PC-7424

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 PM
TheLegacy81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Junkman, first off let me thank you for the time you put in posting your thread/information. Also, the video was very helpful for a rookie such as myself.

I have a black corvette and I have noticed alot of "white spots on the front end of the car. Probably due to debris and rocks hitting the car on the freeway etc. Will this buffing technique get rid of those? the "white spots" are pretty much the size of cigarette ash, but its pretty much scattered. From a distance you cant see it, but if you are about a foot away at viewing you can see them. What do you suggest?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Willfulone
Great Vid AJ

Have you ever tried a rotary. I used an RBO for a long time, but I joist got the Rotary and I love it. I still have not put it on the Vette yet, but I worked over my wifes care and was very pleased

Some one told me to 2X my pad expectation with a Rotary and it seems to have worked for me. I used a white pad and it took out some major marks

Peace
Chip
Chip, I'm scared to death of a rotary. The detail guy I use to go to used a rotary. He could make the car look perfect but after you washed it enough, you could eventually see the buffer holograms. They way I figure it, if he could leave buffer holograms as good as he was, I would probably wipe the paint out. Because of how forgiving yet effective the ROB is, I'll probably never go to a rotary. Meguiars has some pretty aggressive products and I have also gotten into wet sanding with some great results so I figured if that won't take it out, nothing will. Looks like I'm a ROB guy for now but thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by old55
Thanks A.J. I got my PC for Christmas and haven't planned on using it 'til warmer weather, But I'm gathering as much info as I can in the meantime. I've had my '02 since new and have never used a machine to date, so your instructions and video are very helpful indeed. I haven't any scratches (that I can see) in my pewter Vert, but needed to move to a machine due to bad rotator cuffs and just being old. Thanks for the tips and don't be shy with the future knowledge I'm sure you will discover.
Thanks Ed! I'm feeling you on the rotator cuffs. When I first started doing my car, I did it by hand. My rotator cuffs still hurt and that was 2 months ago. Needless to say, whoever got you the PC should be first on next year's list for a great present. That thing is the best investment in car care that I have ever made.

Just a side note concerning the PC. Meguiars and their outlet stores also sell a machine that looks exactly like the PC-7424. It is in fact the exact same thing, but here's the catch. The PC-7424 has Porter Cable's name on the handle. The Meguiars version has Meguiars name on the handle. The PC version cost around $99. The Meguiars version cost around $250.

So what's the difference you ask? The Meguiars model comes with a lifetime warranty on the motor. The PC version comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Other than the name on the handle and the warranty on the motor, they are the EXACT same machine.

Here's the way I see it. I'm not in the detail business so my PC is not going to get anywhere near the workout that someone in that business would put on it. Also, for what it cost for a Meguiars version, I can buy 2 PC's. Those things are built rock solid and if Meguiars feels comfortable giving it a lifetime warranty on the motor, then I feel very comfortable with my 1 year warranty. Besides, if it ever broke I could buy another one and still be $50 ahead of the game.

That's a no brainer if you ask me.

Originally Posted by TheLegacy81
Hey Junkman, first off let me thank you for the time you put in posting your thread/information. Also, the video was very helpful for a rookie such as myself.

I have a black corvette and I have noticed alot of "white spots on the front end of the car. Probably due to debris and rocks hitting the car on the freeway etc. Will this buffing technique get rid of those? the "white spots" are pretty much the size of cigarette ash, but its pretty much scattered. From a distance you cant see it, but if you are about a foot away at viewing you can see them. What do you suggest?
Edmond, I had the same exact problem on my hood. What I ended up doing was purchasing Lanka Complete Paint Repair Kit. What you want to do is find the biggest chip you have. Follow the instructions to the letter (you'll need to purchase some touch-up paint that matches your car). Once you complete the process (takes about 24 hours which is mostly drying time), inspect the area. If you did it correctly, that chip should be barely noticeable and that is only if you stick your nose on the car. You may have to treat a big chip multiple times but get the process down first before you try and do a bunch of chips at once. This is what I did and I was very pleased with the outcome. There was a very noticeable difference in the appearance of my hood!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-26-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I'm also getting slowly used to my PC 7424. Good tip on running the cord thru a belt loop.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM
bigjohn23
Racer

Nice video
Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Chip, I'm scared to death of a rotary.
While a rotary can get you in trouble, a little training and the right foam pads and right materials can give amazing results. Also using a rotary will cut your buffing time by at least 1/2. Though clean up might take longer.

Here are 2 cars that I compounded and polished with a rotary... Then finished up with Zaino...

Last edited by pettvette; 01-26-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pettvette
While a rotary can get you in trouble, a little training and the right foam pads and right materials can give amazing results. Also using a rotary will cut your buffing time by at least 1/2. Though clean up might take longer.
How do you keep from getting buffer holograms?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Slotcar
Racer

Thank you for the list as requested. You are very useful in finding ways to spend my wife's money. Bless you! I hope my yellow can look as good this summer.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 AM
pettvette
Safety Car

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

How do you keep from getting buffer holograms?
Since switching 4 to 5 years ago to 3M foam pads and 3M Perfect-It and 3M Finesse-It products I havent had any problems with buffer swirl marks....
Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slotcar
You are very useful in finding ways to spend my wife's money.
Hey, if you need any backup, let me know!

Since switching 4 to 5 years ago to 3M foam pads and 3M Perfect-It and 3M Finesse-It products I havent had any problems with buffer swirl marks....
Maybe if I get remotely as good as you, I'll try it. Until then, I'll just stay out here under the shade tree until someone promotes me!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 AM
pettvette
Safety Car

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Maybe if I get remotely as good as you, I'll try it. Until then, I'll just stay out here under the shade tree until someone promotes me!
If your ever near Nashville stop by and I'll give you some pointers. I've been buffing cars as a hobby for about 30 years....

Here is a list of the 3M products I use on both my Makita #9227c adjustable speed buffer and my Black and Decker 2,400 rpm buffer...

Perfect-it Foam Pad Polish #39009 for dark cars, amazing stuff..

"................................."#3981 9 for light colored cars..

#39003 very light compound..

#39002 medium duty compound..

3M black, Foam Polishing Pad #05725..

3M white, Foam Compounding Pad #05723..

Last edited by pettvette; 01-26-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

If your ever near Nashville stop by and I'll give you some pointers. I've been buffing cars as a hobby for about 30 years....
That's an offer I can't refuse!

PM me with your contact info. I don't turn down free education! Road trip!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 PM
big hoss 98C5
Pro

I'm getting a new buffer here I thought I was doining great with my own two hands
Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by big hoss 98C5
I'm getting a new buffer here I thought I was doining great with my own two hands
I'm telling you Tony, you won't be disappointed and you'll have some energy left to knock back a cold one after you're done!

Check AutoGeek for any of their buffer specials. Sometimes they have some unbelievable deals on combination packages.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
tzeller
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey Junkman, Thanks for the video. Looks like I really have to get me one of those PC7424.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
blkchipC5
Burning Brakes

Very nice job there!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

ttt for the car detail minded during the lousy winter.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 PM
e6bailey
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work, Got a quote to buff the whole car out for $100, after seeing this makes me want to spent the money to do it myself. What does the buffer cost or do I not want to know?

Get notified of new replies

To Video: How I Remove Scratches and Swirls with the PC-7424

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay the $100.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by e6bailey
Nice work, Got a quote to buff the whole car out for $100, after seeing this makes me want to spent the money to do it myself. What does the buffer cost or do I not want to know?
The thing is cheap; once I saw it for $119. But if you buy all of the stuff you'll need, you could spend around $300 (pads, waxing products, microfiber towels, etc...). I use to think that $100 was a lot of money to get your car done. Now, I think $299 would be more accurate if the car was done right, and I mean attention to detail. I'll send you a PM on what I feel is a starter kit, but you want to contact AutoGeek (www.autogeek.net) as they have various starter kits depending on which wax you want to use. I use Zaino unless I have to do some serious correcting. The people at AutoGeek will walk you through purchasing anything. A great place to get car care products from.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 120 Posts

Nice video and information.
I picked up a Porter cable from autogeek last year, and I'll be using it when the weather is better.

Quick Reply: Video: How I Remove Scratches and Swirls with the PC-7424