Sponsored by:

HID lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:44 AM
2003z06vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID lights

Hey guys I'm rather new to the forum. Well posting at least, been doing a decent amount of browsing I haven't seen much in the way of HID lights and I was wondering if there's a kit out there that nobody has really had any problems with. I hear stories about the ones off ebay all the time so I'm skeptical about it. I've got an 03' Z06 so I dunno if that makes a difference in the kit but I'm DEFINITELY interested in it so any helpful tips/links/direction is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,386 Likes on 1,735 Posts

nate is getting another GP together for the ACA kits.

they are the best HIDs you can get for the C5.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

This is what you want from ACA.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree, Nates HID kit is un believeable.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
2003z06vette
Intermediate

Alright awesome. Now I just gotta scrape the money together
Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003z06vette
...I haven't seen much in the way of HID lights...
You must be hanging out with Tuk-Tuk and them over in OT. You can't fart over here without stinking up a HID thread!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

ACAs are the best route to go..........I have tried most of the others, no comparison
Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
kikker_1999
Racer

Originally Posted by 2003z06vette
Hey guys I'm rather new to the forum. Well posting at least, been doing a decent amount of browsing I haven't seen much in the way of HID lights and I was wondering if there's a kit out there that nobody has really had any problems with. I hear stories about the ones off ebay all the time so I'm skeptical about it. I've got an 03' Z06 so I dunno if that makes a difference in the kit but I'm DEFINITELY interested in it so any helpful tips/links/direction is greatly appreciated!
If your not into the replacement of the entire headlight, HID bulbs/ballast kits are available too, price is much less, DJ Motorsports supplied mine, I love the look and performance.... Look in the vendor section to the right, there Customer Service is second to none!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 891 Likes on 589 Posts

An honor to have JETZ even link to one of my pics.

I agree that, for the full-blown, 100% HID with true projector and housing approach, ACA is the way to go. I love them so much I just ordered a second set today for my vette. After seeing the difference they made in Mrs. Patches' C5, I decided to take advantage of theCorvette Garage GP and save even more than Nate's usual discount.

IMO, they're worth every penny with the amount of safety margin they add to driving at night. I even plan to put a set in my Hummer dd (the same projectors are used in the version for the H3).

Thanks again, Nate - can never repeat enough how much your service and assistance enrich this forum.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Rupert
Instructor

I agree the ACA are the way to go, a very significant improvement over stock lighting.
They worked great out of the box, the wiring is a piece of cake. Nate provides great customer service, I got mine during the last GP, if you can get in on a GP it is the way to go.
I had only two very minor problems with my installation which were easy to fix. First the lug on the positive cable is too small to fit on the positive post near the fuse box, so I needed to splice in a new lug. Also I had a problem with the bulb jiggling in the housing (which was also easy to fix). Before you install them do a search of the form for the fix to keep the bulb from jiggling in the housing. I think Patches had a really good write up showing how to do it.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rupert
I agree the ACA are the way to go, a very significant improvement over stock lighting.
They worked great out of the box, the wiring is a piece of cake. Nate provides great customer service, I got mine during the last GP, if you can get in on a GP it is the way to go.
I had only two very minor problems with my installation which were easy to fix. First the lug on the positive cable is too small to fit on the positive post near the fuse box, so I needed to splice in a new lug. Also I had a problem with the bulb jiggling in the housing (which was also easy to fix). Before you install them do a search of the form for the fix to keep the bulb from jiggling in the housing. I think Patches had a really good write up showing how to do it.
That is a very good heads up! Hopefully people will heed this advice.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:27 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jdmvette
nate is getting another GP together for the ACA kits.

they are the best HIDs you can get for the C5.

BTW, on the current versions, your low beams (the HIDs) stay on when you switch over to the high beams.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

haven't seen much in the way of HID lights

Odd, I put HID in the search window and got 400 posts !
Old 04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jrprich
haven't seen much in the way of HID lights

Odd, I put HID in the search window and got 400 posts !
Yea, I got a chuckle out of that too!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone has given you the correct info. ACA is hands down the best kit for the C5's. The reason being is because it uses OEM parts type parts and projectors. Putting some cheapo asain made HIS kit into the stock halogen housings is NOT a good way to add HID's. Lots of people here do it and yes it may add a little additional light but adds A LOT of additional glare to oncoming drivers. You also don't get the perfect spread of light that you would using a quality HID projector.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Everyone has given you the correct info. ACA is hands down the best kit for the C5's. The reason being is because it uses OEM parts type parts and projectors. Putting some cheapo asain made HIS kit into the stock halogen housings is NOT a good way to add HID's. Lots of people here do it and yes it may add a little additional light but adds A LOT of additional glare to oncoming drivers. You also don't get the perfect spread of light that you would using a quality HID projector.
I agree with most of your post except the glare factor. If the lights are adjusted correctly, there will be no offensive glare to oncoming drivers. If so, I would have been flashed by now. Not once has anyone, cop or civilian ever flashed me. Guys who put their bulbs in crooked or don't have their headlights adjusted right are another story.

I will say this, the fog HID's are so bright that I actually use them as headlights. The stock fog housing is a true HID housing and the results definitely are proof of such.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Get notified of new replies

To HID lights

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
I agree with most of your post except the glare factor. If the lights are adjusted correctly, there will be no offensive glare to oncoming drivers. If so, I would have been flashed by now. Not once has anyone, cop or civilian ever flashed me. Guys who put their bulbs in crooked or don't have their headlights adjusted right are another story.

I had ebay HIDs in my low beams for about 6 months before I got my ACAs. NEVER did anyone flash me.
Oh, and there is a HUGE difference in the amount of light the HID bulbs provide over the stock halogens.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

Good info pics need to be seen!

Frank

Originally Posted by Patches
An honor to have JETZ even link to one of my pics.
Originally Posted by Patches

I agree that, for the full-blown, 100% HID with true projector and housing approach, ACA is the way to go. I love them so much I just ordered a second set today for my vette. After seeing the difference they made in Mrs. Patches' C5, I decided to take advantage of theCorvette Garage GP and save even more than Nate's usual discount.

IMO, they're worth every penny with the amount of safety margin they add to driving at night. I even plan to put a set in my Hummer dd (the same projectors are used in the version for the H3).

Thanks again, Nate - can never repeat enough how much your service and assistance enrich this forum.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:29 AM
vermjpv
Now a CTS-V Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Very satisfied with My ACA's from Nate!!

Quick Reply: HID lights