Sponsored by:

dash side lights staying on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 PM
ladyinyellow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash side lights staying on?

I am new to the forum and tried searching for any previous threads that mentioned my 00's strange behavior. My 00 coupe is mostly garaged and sees little drive time since my second child has figured out what the yellow car is and the kids fight if I take it out without them but they can't both ride in it.

The lights for the dash side panels (display change buttons, etc.) are staying on even after the key is removed.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

My car has no mods- all factory stock parts and set up. I will have to take it in for the fix as I don't do my own repairs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM
gdaddee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long do they stay on?

Look here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=gdaddee

Last edited by gdaddee; 04-14-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

They usually stay on for a while then go out. Time??? Mine stay on for about 30 sec or so.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 AM
10U 99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

the dash lights will illuminate when the door is opened upon ingress and egress for approx 15 sec.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ladyinyellow
I am new to the forum and tried searching for any previous threads that mentioned my 00's strange behavior. My 00 coupe is mostly garaged and sees little drive time since my second child has figured out what the yellow car is and the kids fight if I take it out without them but they can't both ride in it.

The lights for the dash side panels (display change buttons, etc.) are staying on even after the key is removed.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

My car has no mods- all factory stock parts and set up. I will have to take it in for the fix as I don't do my own repairs.

Thanks in advance.
First of all - welcome to the forum! It would be nice if you completed your profile, at least with the most basic information, like the city and state in which you reside. We know from your post that you have a 2000 MY coupe, and that it's stock. Also - this is mostly a friendly place and as you get more familiar, it's a lot nicer to respond to you by your first name instead of your screen name.

I think your question has been answered, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:23 PM
ladyinyellow
2nd Gear

Default More info on dash light dilemma

My apologies for accidentally staying stealth... I didn't see the profile area and I have now filled it in. I am glad to be here...

I should have been more clear on just how long my lights stay on- ALL THE TIME when it is dark. My vette is attached to a slow charger because the battery dies due to lack of driving the Chicago winter snow. As long as the garage is dark, no keys in the car- the side dash lights are on. They never turn off.

They will go off if I unplug the charger and let the battery run down...

I am aware of the extra electrical "time" that GM puts in so you can catch the end of your favorite song after you take the key out- this goes on far beyond that.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

Hey lady!

Check your interior light switch on the left side of the dash, where the HUD dimmer is located. I ran down 2 batteries because I didn't realize it was left on.

I noticed the dash lights would stay illuminated for what seemed like a long period after I closed up my car also, particularly the door control lights(windows, locks, mirrors). I just learned to make sure the interior light switch was off and paid it no mind.

Lots of little quirks with these fine machines we own. Feel free to ask anything about it here. Somebody's been there and done that!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by wit2pz
Hey lady!

Check your interior light switch on the left side of the dash, where the HUD dimmer is located. I ran down 2 batteries because I didn't realize it was left on.

I noticed the dash lights would stay illuminated for what seemed like a long period after I closed up my car also, particularly the door control lights(windows, locks, mirrors). I just learned to make sure the interior light switch was off and paid it no mind.

Lots of little quirks with these fine machines we own. Feel free to ask anything about it here. Somebody's been there and done that!
Theres your answer Alexa.

The rotary switch pushes in and out. When its out its easier to adjust. its the dimmer that adjusts the strength of the dash lights and its possible to leave it on despite the 15 min timer on the lights.

Welcome to the Forum
Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 AM
ElvisCorvette
1st Gear

You guys are the smartest people I know. My battery kept going dead overnight and guess what...my dimmer switch was left on...thus draining the battery. Keep up the good work and you saved me a lot of money.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM
soregon
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ElvisCorvette
You guys are the smartest people I know. My battery kept going dead overnight and guess what...my dimmer switch was left on...thus draining the battery. Keep up the good work and you saved me a lot of money.
This just solved the mystery as to why my dash lights wouldn't go off!
Fortunately just discovered it this morning from yesterday's drive.... and came directly here to find out the answer! Great info here!!!

Get notified of new replies

To dash side lights staying on?

Quick Reply: dash side lights staying on?