Sponsored by:

Loud "tapping" noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
cammedvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loud "tapping" noise

I have a 1999 coupe and recently (few months back) installed a mid size cam, along with springs and pushrods. The car has a cold air intake, and LG long tubes with no cats and a Corsa exhaust. Now after the cam install I did , and still do have some valvetrain noise, not too bad but noticable. On the way to work this morning I started to get this really loud tapping noise. After getting to work I left it idling and popped the hood. It appears that the noise is coming from the bottom tensioner pully on the air conditioner compresser belt. It appears to be "boucing" up and down. Anyone ran into this problem?? Has something come loose on the tensioner, or is it shot?? Chime in with any info please.

P.S. This forum is really great. Really enjoy the exchange of helpful info, and paths to great buys on mods and upgrades!!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
cammedvette
Racer

No info??? Do I smell?? Dumb question???
Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles on it?

-Alex
Old 10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
cammedvette
Racer

Old 10-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Mine was making a tapping/chirping noise and I got all my belts and pulleys replaced and the sound went right away. But my car was just over 60k for that. I am not as technically inclined as other folks around here so I can't say for sure that, that is the same issue for you.

-Alex
Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
stewart11
Advanced

replace the belt tentioner. Should do the trick
Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

Originally Posted by cammedvette
I have a 1999 coupe and recently (few months back) installed a mid size cam, along with springs and pushrods. The car has a cold air intake, and LG long tubes with no cats and a Corsa exhaust. Now after the cam install I did , and still do have some valvetrain noise, not too bad but noticable. On the way to work this morning I started to get this really loud tapping noise. After getting to work I left it idling and popped the hood. It appears that the noise is coming from the bottom tensioner pully on the air conditioner compresser belt. It appears to be "boucing" up and down. Anyone ran into this problem?? Has something come loose on the tensioner, or is it shot?? Chime in with any info please.

P.S. This forum is really great. Really enjoy the exchange of helpful info, and paths to great buys on mods and upgrades!!
If the AC belt tensioner is bouncing around like you describe then it needs to be replaced. Update this thread after you change it out.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Here is my thread for the issue.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...449&highlight=

Hope that helps

-Alex
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 AM
cammedvette
Racer

Was able to check the problem out last night. The belt was partcially frayed, and somewhat strectched out. The tensioner was all the way too the limit of it's travel. Every time the frayed section of the belt went accross the tensioner pulley it would bounce it away from it's limit stop and snap back to the limit producing the loud tapping noise. The tensioner was not bad....more of a particially frayed and stretched out belt.

Thanks for the input....hope this help someone else with this problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Loud "tapping" noise

Quick Reply: Loud "tapping" noise