Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Where to start modding with 01 z06 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Where to start modding with 01 z06 ?

I just bought my first z06, and first vette for that matter. its an 01 with 90k miles. BONE stock, has tinted windows only. runs great, does everything i expect, very very happy with the car. i am in the process of selling all my LT1 and camaro stuff and gonna be looking at doing a few mods within the next couple months. i just was curious where to even start. I was thinking exhaust, CAI, and tune, maybe wheels for looks. im just wanting to make sure i shouldn't save the money in case i have an unexpected clutch failure, cuz i'll be taking it to the track a lil bit when the weather warms up. this is my daily driver so im not getting radical YET. im just looking for a few more horses to make up the 20hp i lost with the 01 and possibly getting a lil better fuel economy. just trying to see what best bang for buck or just best first-mods there are on these machines. Any input greatly appreciated, thanks! Korey.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
urwtdrm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would lower it and drive! Maybe a catback if you're looking for it to be louder. I have done CAI, cam,full exhaust and then HCI and full exhaust on the two Z's I've had. That being said I'm just doing catback, cold air, lowering and brake pads on my next one. remember that bone stock you can hang with any production car on the street (pretty much)

oh ya, post pics!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

long tubes, exhaust and a supercharger. do it.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDingo
long tubes, exhaust and a supercharger. do it.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

I did American racing long tubes with cats, Stinger intake and a tune. I make 372 rwhp in an 01. Car is fun to drive, good throttle response, definitely a different car than when I bought it. If you really want to wake it up do a mild cam and springs along with the above list and you will make 400ish to the wheels.

Speed costs $$$ .. it is all up to you.

Fej
Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 AM
0Philip@HPE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by urwtdrm
remember that bone stock you can hang with any production car on the street (pretty much)
flawed statement
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 AM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

congrats on your vette. my first vette was/ is my 02 z06 . go with a cai, long tubes, and dyno tune my friend. should give 30 or so rwhp
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A new C5 Print for your garage!

www.flatoutimaging.com

Sorry couldn't help it! Lot's of Z06's in there!

Andy Wheeler
Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Foxman86
Racer

I went with headers, x pipe, intake and short throw with mine and was very happy

but then I broke some stuff and started to mess with the diff and the tranny and have a small cam and tune. I would say go that route, also I would find out if your on the stock clutch too that might be your best choice for your first change
Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Crash94536
Instructor

I would first look at how do plan on using your car.

Strictly street? Street and drag strip? Street and road course? Autcross?

I like to do HDPEs on road courses. For me I want handling and fighting heat. I have a second set of rims which will eventually have some R compound tires. I also have installed an oil cooler for the differential and one for the transmission (purchased from DRM, great bunch of guys).

I added the coolers because under hard driving the differential will get quite hot and will have a tendancy to destroy the seals. After the install I had no problem with heat.

My next mod will be something like upgraded shocks and maybe coil-overs, but I want to do some research on just how effective those mods really are and wether or not they are worth the money. The less money I spend on the car will mean more spent on seat time at the track.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

bunch of good replies! yeah i need to find out on if im on stock clutch or not first of all. the cam is a lil out of the question as of now.. i noticed it calls for 20 hours to do a cam, im not interested in that right now and i dont have the money to have someone do it, so that'll wait until i have extra cash to throw at it. im thinking catback right now, then headers, vararam CAI, and then a dyno tune. something to just wake it up a lil.

its a daily driven car, i probably wont see the autocross but maybe once just to try it, and it'll see some 1/4 mile passes this upcoming season for fun, trying to get some seat time and lower my times!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM
bencini231
Melting Slicks

congrats on the Z06. I would do the exhaust and cold air intake for now. When you have more money you can go into the engine and so forth.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by bencini231
congrats on the Z06. I would do the exhaust and cold air intake for now. When you have more money you can go into the engine and so forth.
exactly my friend!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Bigsalgt
Racer

Best modification for the money is certainly not a cat-back or axle-back for that matter. Neither is a cold air intake! If your looking to set some finances aside, headers with high flow cats will yield the highest gains over the others. The stock cat-back is extremely efficient and very light weight. Of course, introduce headers along with high flow cats, cat-back, and a cold air intake, the package comes along very well. Couple those mods with a quality tune and the Z06 becomes very potent. Having all these mods already completed on my own Z06, the single best mod is, concluded by dyno numbers, headers and high flow cats. I had ARH installed by AR and they are simply the best, you get what you pay for. Give this information some extreme thought before you simply bolt on a loud exhaust that will gain nothing but plenty of attention by local Police.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on the zzz take your time get to no your ride and where you what to go =
the smart money is to think it through and have a plan of attach good luck and many miles with zzz smiles
Old 01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

i started looking at headers and had a couple questions.. is it worth the money to go long tubes and xpipe, or just get the short bbk headers and just an xpipe for ALOT less money? i noticed the bbk's are very easy to install and pretty cheap, but how hard is it to install longtubes?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
i started looking at headers and had a couple questions.. is it worth the money to go long tubes and xpipe, or just get the short bbk headers and just an xpipe for ALOT less money? i noticed the bbk's are very easy to install and pretty cheap, but how hard is it to install longtubes?
DO NOT waste your money on shorty headers. LSx engines respond so well to long tube headers. There is no better mod for the money period. Shorty headers is a BAD IDEA

Long tubes, High flow cats(if any) CAI, Tune

Good luck with the mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to start modding with 01 z06 ?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hope thie helps

Here's what I did in stages over the course of two years:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...rwhp-gain.html
Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
I just bought my first z06, and first vette for that matter. its an 01 with 90k miles. BONE stock, has tinted windows only. runs great, does everything i expect, very very happy with the car. i am in the process of selling all my LT1 and camaro stuff and gonna be looking at doing a few mods within the next couple months. i just was curious where to even start. I was thinking exhaust, CAI, and tune, maybe wheels for looks. im just wanting to make sure i shouldn't save the money in case i have an unexpected clutch failure, cuz i'll be taking it to the track a lil bit when the weather warms up. this is my daily driver so im not getting radical YET. im just looking for a few more horses to make up the 20hp i lost with the 01 and possibly getting a lil better fuel economy. just trying to see what best bang for buck or just best first-mods there are on these machines. Any input greatly appreciated, thanks! Korey.
Trade me cars, give me some cash and save yourself A LOT OF CASH.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...for-truck.html
Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by BADMFR
Trade me cars, give me some cash and save yourself A LOT OF CASH.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...for-truck.html
yeah i f'ing wish! i just took a good size loan out for this car, i cant take another one out lol. i love the car tho, the seats, the cam, the HP numbers, etc!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Where to start modding with 01 z06 ?