Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TheRadioFlyers Custom Headlight GP (Round II)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default TheRadioFlyers Custom Headlight GP (Round II)

Can you see this with your OEM headlights?

From the Creative Mind of George (“TheRadioFlyer”) Comes Round II of the finest looking, most efficient & best priced headlight HID conversion kit that we have seen to date. In fact we were so impressed with his kit, that we had to include them in our own C5 lighting kit line-up, and be the marketing force behind his lights

For those of you who drive at night, (or want to but you can't see anything) we present the perfect solution for your car: Custom projector headlights:

Check out this Comparison video to the OEM headlights:

Unlike Most other headlights, This kit will NOT blink oncoming traffic. Check out this picture from a previous customer during installation

(photo credit to mcgilles)

These headlights use German designed Hella 90mm modules:
The Low beam is a projector module with a stepped cutoff pattern and uses a 35w HID kit in your choice of color:
3000K – Golden Yellow (excellent for fog lights/poor weather)
5000K – Pure White
6000K – White with blue tint (Shown in these pictures and also most popular choice)
8000K – Ice Blue (for a truly aftermarket look)

The High beam is a free form reflector module with a wide spot beam pattern for long range vision and uses a 65 watt Halogen bulb.

Unlike most other headlights, the Lens on both modules is extremely durable glass and VERY easy to clean. Both high and low beams are DOT/SAE approved and the projectors are legal for HID use.

The Headlights are mounted on a 1/8” thick Reinforced Aluminum Frame to minimize vibrations. The ballast is plug-and-play and features a wired-in resistor that allows the headlight to retract like normal. The Shrouds are made from Vacuum-Formed 0.060
inch ABS plastic (the same as the OEM plastic trim).

This is the output at the recommended 20’ aiming range:
Note: each module can be adjusted independently with a flathead screwdriver

From the driver’s seat:

High beams:

Installation takes 2.0 hours with commonly available tools. There is NO trimming/cutting/drilling required and the setup is completely reversible should you decide to go back to the OEM system.

The Headlight kit comes with the following components:
- Heavy duty mounting frame
- Mounted 90mm Modules
- 35w HID Kit with bulbs, ballasts, and Ballast mounts (bulbs will be mounted in projectors)
- Custom built Relay Harness with easy-to-install Plug and Play connections
- High-4 Circuit (allows low beams to stay on with high beams)
- Stainless steel Installation hardware
- Detailed Installation instructions with high res pics and Video (On CD)
- Radioflyer’s personal Cell # for tech support

We're also offering this kit with CCFL Angel Eyes (Halos) for an additional $100 you can give your corvette a wicked custom look.

Halos Pic:

Compare Low beam projectors with and without Halo:

(Photo Credit to JMc)

In your order, please include the following information:
1) The color HID kit you prefer. If you do not enter a value, you will be sent a 6000K kit as pictured.
2) Indicate if you would like the Base model or Halo model

If you have any questions, please post them on this thread and George (TheRadioFlyer) or myself will answer them.

We're offering these to forum members at an introductory Group Purchase price of $749.95 Shipped within the continental U.S. George will gladly stand behind his warranty of: "If it doesn't work, I'll make it Right. Ship back the defective parts and I'll fix/replace them at no charge. We'll leave this thread open until we have orders for a minimum of 10 sets. Once we have the 10-order minimum, manufacturing will begin and can be expected to take 2 weeks to complete & ship. If you would like to take part in this Group Purchase, you can PayPal your payment to wingwaxers@earthlink.net or call us with your Visa or MasterCard information at 800-946-4929.

Again, please be sure to state your Color Temp choice and whether you want the Standard Package or the Option letter(s) you want.

Thanks all,

Richard

Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

We started a new thread to keep you all updated on the progress since all orders are in

Many thanks to all that are participating in this Groupe Purchase,
Richard

Orders to date are as follows:

Jbondfl
torchedttz
canyon lake corvette
simpson12
tulipo
GRUNIE
bluelightening
ToddK
De-Vette
AF Vette
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I count 10 I count 10 May the manufacturing begin...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GRUNIE
I count 10 I count 10 May the manufacturing begin...
Indeed, we have the 10 orders to complete the GP However, you can still get on board if you do so by Friday 3/20/09. Cut off time will be 5:00 pm PDT.

For those that have your orders placed, we will either send you a PayPal invoice or charge your Credit Card this coming Monday 3/23/09.

Thanks all,

Richard

Orders to date are as follows:

(1) Jbondfl
(2) torchedttz
(3) canyon lake corvette
(4) simpson12
(5) tulipo
(6) GRUNIE
(7) bluelightening
(8) ToddK
(9) De-Vette
(10) AF Vette
(11) QKSLVR Z
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May I suggest a couple of items that everyone ordering this kit should have, to help sate your feverish anticipation while waiting for your bright, shining lights to arrive?

If you don't already have one of these, get one.

Under twenty bucks.

And if you don't have a set of drivers, Fry's Electronics has a nice set of 100 for about $16 that includes all the torx sizes you'll need, plus another bit that fits into the headlamp manual operating ****. This combo makes removing/replacing the screws and raising and lowering the headlamps assemblies manually a cinch. Your wrists will thank you.

Last edited by JMc; 03-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Tulipo
Advanced

The wait begins.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
AF Vette
Instructor

Yeah!! Headlights WOOO!!! I can't wait to see that box on my doorstep
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
toddk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Patience.

Hopefully I can get the Vette's lasik surgery done before spring arrives in Minnesota! This is my first mod in the Vette, and don't think I'll be disappointed. Waiting patiently for updates...

Todd
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I just finished watching the vids George made while doing the install on Worldtravelers's beatiful vette. I'm pretty damn exciting and can't wait to get mine! JMc, your vette looks awesome too and I plan on picking up one of those Skil drivers.

Just a heads-up for everyone. After installing my HID fogs a year ago, one of the nut/bolts with the sleeve backed out on it's own after a couple months and was never to be found again. It was a pain finding a replacement. I highly recommend either using a lock washer as George mentioned in his video or maybe using some locktite.

I didn't elect to go with the 55w option. I hope this isn't something I'll regret later. It just wasn't clear to me what the benefit was.

George if your reading this, GET BACK TO WORK
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
BenC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are going to be as happy, if not more, as I am with the new lights. There is nothing like something designed, modified, and made better by someone who owns a C5 and took every single consideration into account when making these lights, first for his own car, then probably some friends, then for us on the forum. Then his pledge/guarantee to make things right if for some odd reason they are not, and a 1 year warrranty to boot, just hard to beat.

The standard 35W low beam output from the HID make me so happy and I'm glad I went with what most have gone with in the 6000K, as anything more is too blue, and the Halogen high-beam is so bright and throws the light so far down the road with such great accuracy and more than enough light off to the sides that, at least to me, anything more would be some serious overkill, but then again, our entire cars are already overkill so it would be normal. As I was a kid with a flashlight facination, my love for night-lighting has never left and these lights at this time were perfect and I'm fortunate that I had the extra-scratch to buy them right off instead of having to wait and seeing that incredible light spread in the pictures here online, just wishing and being almost in fear every night on the highway with the stock vacuum cleaner lights.

I haven't even been able to drive at night all week long but as I'll be swapping out exhausts tonight, I'll get the chance tonight to drive around with these sweet HID's on and I can hardly wait. I had just gotten my car when the first GP was done but thankfully George was able to make me a set on the side, that I put in last Saturday, so this 2nd GP should be even better.

The install is not too bad at all and now that I've tinkered with the lights enough, if I had to do it again or need to take the lights apart, I could do another install in 1/2 the time. Even the light harnesses are custom so that they are not too long or too short and lay across the Radiator shroud perfectly, a couple of zip ties to keep them from moving and done. Only thing that can make the install less worrisome at all, as I did call George on Saturday afternoon, is to clarify which stock headlight plug needs to go where as there is a combination that fits but will cross the lights up when one goes to turn them on for the first time, the phone call to George cleared it up perfectly, Thanks George. I look forward to seeing all your pics of the lights and the spread when you all get them in.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Many thanks for the outstanding and very well detailed review Ben
Richard
Old 03-20-2009, 01:21 PM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

Was great to hear your opinion on these Ben, the only question is, WHERE ARE YOU PICS? I'm really excited to get these. I'm in the middle of a DD bezel/headunit upgrade but I couldn't resist getting in on these. I actually purchased some HIDs here on the forum to install in my stock housings but was hesitant. Now I'll be selling those in the parts section.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Here is a link to the thread I started last Saturday with all my pics, in the graveyard, no better place to light up the night/do adjustments;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-thoughts.html

I post because if I was looking for something, I'd want to see what others have to say and I always want as much detail as I can get, and I know that pictures say a lot.

The 2 main things that sold me was the "no cutting, drilling, modifying of any kind, just unbolt, re-bolt, unscrew, rescrew, plug and play". AND the price. My wife and her sister nearly fell off their bar stools at Margerita's last Saturday night when I told them I spent $750 on headlights, but it is my money after all, ha!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

I don't miss many threads but I guess I missed that one Looking good Most women don't understand unless your talking shoes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 PM
LS7 C5
Pro

Taxes wn't be back for a couple more weeks
Anyway you can PM me next round ? I would have missed this one
even though I have been watching for it. :o

Last edited by LS7 C5; 03-20-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Here was the highway just a few hours ago, such a good boy doing 1-mile under the speed limit;

Get notified of new replies

To TheRadioFlyers Custom Headlight GP (Round II)

Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 AM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

Ben did you got with the halogen highs or HID also?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 AM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
Indeed, we have the 10 orders to complete the GP However, you can still get on board if you do so by Friday 3/20/09. Cut off time will be 5:00 pm PDT.For those that have your orders placed, we will either send you a PayPal invoice or charge your Credit Card this coming Monday 3/23/09.Thanks all,RichardOrders to date are as follows: (1) Jbondfl (2) torchedttz (3) canyon lake corvette(4) simpson12(5) tulipo(6) GRUNIE(7) bluelightening(8) ToddK(9) De-Vette(10) AF Vette (11) QKSLVR Z
Darn, I sat on that fence too long again!* Hopefully there will be a third GP?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

nice

Quick Reply: TheRadioFlyers Custom Headlight GP (Round II)