Sponsored by:

Vert wind deflector

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Vert wind deflector

Hey Vert. Vetters, has anyone got experience with Vet net or any other wind deflector products, do they actually work as claimed or? Also, is there any other products that are cheaper than the $400- bucks they want for Vet net? Anyone out there that wants to part with one for reasonable? The Vet net is a polycarbonate screen, last generation were a nylon mesh, any advantages or disadvantages? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx, Rob
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,513 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I own a verte and I have also rode as a passenger in my friend's verte who has one of these wind deflectors.

To be honest, I did not notice any difference. If anything, I noticed a wind noise that is not in my verte when I drive top down. He told me he bought it for when he drives top down on the expressway.

I guess it depends on your driving style. I tend to drive top down when I'm just cruising around town. Living in Florida, I usually wear a cap when driving top down so I'm not too concerned with the wind anyway.

When I do drive the expressway, I will usually drive with the top up, windows closed and AC on. More comfortable and it makes it easier to hear the stereo.

Plus, I installed chrome seat hoops and I'm not sure if a wind deflector would even fit.

Just my 0.02.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one, and it makes a little difference in volume, but the wife says she noticed a huge difference in wind on her side, which is why I purchased it.
Check around for a used one, that's what I got and I feel it was worth it.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 957 Likes on 472 Posts

I just looked but can't find the pics of one I made.
I'll find them and post later.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

i have an 04 and one of the "newer" model vette nets. i live in florida also and DO drive the expressways with the top down. my experience is that it does cut down on the wind "back lash" and does reduce the wind noise noticably to a point of being able to answer my cell phone and actually hear. around town, it's worthless in my opinion and make little if any difference. in my opinion, it's real purpose is for the times you have the top down and drive at higher speed.

i believe if you have seat hoops, you CAN NOT use a vette net. there is a similar device that mounts over the seat "headrest" section and bridges the gap between the seats, but i don't have any idea as to it's potential effectiveness. i believe i saw it on the corvette central website. that might work if you have seat hoops.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
spdracr39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I found that I can roll the windows up about 2 inches and the wind noise and turbulence decreases dramatically. When I get off the freeway I roll them back down.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

give forum vendor Chip a call he can hook you up if you want one
Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I have the new style. I only put it in when the wife rides with me. I am 6'2", and the wind comes over the top of the screen to get me. I can't tell a difference, but my 5'1" wife can!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM
steve8
Race Director

Here are a couple of pics of my home made version. It's just a piece of plexi glass attached with matching straps that go through some slots cut in the piece. If I were to make another one I would make it a couple of inches taller. This one is only 12" high. It definitely helps at highway speeds. One huge plus is you can leave it in place and put the top up.
Not perfect, but not bad for less than $40.

Member Iflex2fitness (Sherry) had the original idea.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 PM
RED340COUPE
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got one of the newer style ones and I like it. Freeway speeds it helps, around town a waste. What takes some getting use to is the black frame around the unit is very visible in the rearview mirror. But I'm kind of use to that from driving the SWC. The two distractions are just 90 degrees opposite of each other.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 PM
GS Ron
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had one of the newer type for awhile now and the wife really likes it, as we do a lot of highway driving. It seems to cut down on the wind noise a lot and talking is easier..........
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RED340COUPE
I've got one of the newer style ones and I like it. Freeway speeds it helps, around town a waste. What takes some getting use to is the black frame around the unit is very visible in the rearview mirror. But I'm kind of use to that from driving the SWC. The two distractions are just 90 degrees opposite of each other.
Thanks I think this one sums it up, just wonder if the older net style preforms the same, I guess they had to do something (change design) to justify a $400-cash out lay. A member offered me a gently used one for sale, will have to decide. PS. I already have a black frame like line in my rearview from a above rear deck spoiler. Should be no problem getting used to another. Rob
Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steve8
Here are a couple of pics of my home made version. It's just a piece of plexi glass attached with matching straps that go through some slots cut in the piece. If I were to make another one I would make it a couple of inches taller. This one is only 12" high. It definitely helps at highway speeds. One huge plus is you can leave it in place and put the top up.
Not perfect, but not bad for less than $40.

Member Iflex2fitness (Sherry) had the original idea.
Thanks, and home made ingenuity...gotta love it.Great mounting/fastening idea. I would never have come up with that one. The purchased ones are 8 inches high so they would be about 4-5 inches above seat top, probably cut wind more I am thinking. But you got lots of cash left over to try again and again. Greetings,Rob
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Ron
I've had one of the newer type for awhile now and the wife really likes it, as we do a lot of highway driving. It seems to cut down on the wind noise a lot and talking is easier..........
Looks great too! Greetings Rob
Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Lafd4me
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I Have the Mesh Vet Net and My Wife and I love having it. It really cuts down on the noise and wind....my wifes hair stays in place and thats a good thing. Its taller than the newer version plexaglass. So for taller people it might work better....JMO....all in all I think they are worth it

Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 AM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,250 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracr39
Well I found that I can roll the windows up about 2 inches and the wind noise and turbulence decreases dramatically.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 AM
DFOR
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steve8,

Any chance you could show a picture of how you have yours attached?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert wind deflector

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 AM
ecoman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lafd4me
I Have the Mesh Vet Net and My Wife and I love having it. It really cuts down on the noise and wind....my wifes hair stays in place and thats a good thing. Its taller than the newer version plexaglass. So for taller people it might work better....JMO....all in all I think they are worth it

I have the same one.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
steve8
Race Director

Originally Posted by DFOR
Steve8,

Any chance you could show a picture of how you have yours attached?

Thanks.

Those pics probably show it best. I have matching shale leather straps with some velcro sewn on them. They run over the seats then through two slots I cut in the piece and through the seat opening. I'll look to see if I have a better shot. It's not a problem for me but the seats should be close to the same position. If the driver was particularly short the passenger could need to move that seat up.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have the newer one and it seems to work pretty good. I am 6 ft wife is 5'3 so it worked better for her. What I did was it insert a wine cork into the tubes so the plexi net sits higher,now it works for me as well. Truth be told,I don't use it as much as I should but it does look good and functions.

Quick Reply: Vert wind deflector