Sponsored by:

TRUNK LID LINER for vert keeps falling

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM
jet843
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRUNK LID LINER for vert keeps falling

I had bought a trunk lid liner from Mid America, for my C5 convertable ..... but after a while, it keeps falling down.

Any tricks - ideas - tips to fight the gravatational pull ?

Thanks,
JET843
Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,512 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I had the same problem. I bought some extra velcro and styrofoam spacer blocks at a local crafts store and used that to help keep if from falling down.

After awhile, I switched to the three-piece system and that seems to be working better.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Bronk
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 141 Posts

You might try using a good headliner fabric spray adhesive and apply it to the contact points on the inside of the trunk (the raised strips). I did mine about 5 years ago, and it has not moved. You will need to apply a light pressure (pieces of wood, etc.) and clamped in place until it dries overnight. Good luck!

Bronk
The following users liked this post:
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Mrchips
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the three piece liner and mine did the same thing. i got industrial velcro and went almost completely around each peice. it still fell off. I finall just used hot glue and it has been great.
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Baron138
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started falling down also. I finally bought chrome interior screws, and screwed it in place. It only took I think 4, and I screwed into the raised ribs of the trunk itself. Never fell again.
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Bob Holinski
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I tried hot glue but in very hot weather it came loose. Resorted to high temp RTV to hld the velcro on the ribs and lots of velcro rather than just a few spots and it's been good for a couple years.
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
BIGG DOGG
Instructor

Originally Posted by jet843
I had bought a trunk lid liner from Mid America, for my C5 convertable ..... but after a while, it keeps falling down.

Thanks,
JET843
You are welcome to phone CAA direct (1-877-712-4222 Toll Free). I invented the non-invasive, non-permanent mounting system for the one (1) piece and three (3) piece Corvette Trunk Lid Covers that we sell with a lifetime warranty. I look forward to assisting you.

Rich
1-877-712-4222 Toll Free
Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jet843

Thanks,
JET843
Had the exact same problem, so I thought maybe I hadn't cleaned the surfaces well enough. Cleaned them again and started with fresh velcro purchased at local Wally World..... Worked just about like the original So I thought this has to be easier than this... Thought on it for a few days and then thought, I'd try going to one of the local auto parts chain stores and get "Body Side Molding Tape", because I will always remember the trouble I had getting off the advertising emblem place by the dealership, and that baby was mounted tight. Added the Tape right to the sticky backside of the velcro that didn't stick. Now I can still remove the liner for cleaning or what have you, using the hook and loop velcro as designed. If I ever want to permanently remove it I'll just follow the same tips for removing BSM's. Works super for me and cost about $3.49 for the BSM tape. Hope this helps. ..."pear"
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,512 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pear
Had the exact same problem, so I thought maybe I hadn't cleaned the surfaces well enough. Cleaned them again and started with fresh velcro purchased at local Wally World..... Worked just about like the original So I thought this has to be easier than this... Thought on it for a few days and then thought, I'd try going to one of the local auto parts chain stores and get "Body Side Molding Tape", because I will always remember the trouble I had getting off the advertising emblem place by the dealership, and that baby was mounted tight. Added the Tape right to the sticky backside of the velcro that didn't stick. Now I can still remove the liner for cleaning or what have you, using the hook and loop velcro as designed. If I ever want to permanently remove it I'll just follow the same tips for removing BSM's. Works super for me and cost about $3.49 for the BSM tape. Hope this helps. ..."pear"
Cool solution. So the problem isn't with the velcro sticking, its the actual velcro piece falling off the trunk likd?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Go to the local Lowes store and get the Industrial Strengrh 2" wide self stick velcro and apply it to the entire length of the two raised ribs of the trunk lid. Make certain you clean the ribs as well as the back of the liner very carefully before you apply the velcro and be certain you have complete adhesion to both surfaces before you put the liner up in place. I let mine sit for acouple days for the glue to cure before I put the liner in place. Mine has stayed there for over a year and I regularly slam the trunk lid closed rather than taking the time to lower it and press it closed.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

You got it !!! Yes the hook and loop velcro holds fine, just the adheasive on the back of it doesn't hold well... "pear"
Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Here was my solution. Its towards the bottom of the post

DIY Trunk Lid Liner.

I'd been seeing the trunk lid liners on some of the members Vettes but being a good Yorkshireman, the $150 price tag seemed a bit steep. I had a bit of a DIY morning and made one up myself

Parts:

A sheet of pegboard - Home Depot $3
A roll of black car carpet from Walmart - $8
Spray Glue - Lowes $4
Fastners – Autozone $4

Tools:

Steel ruler
Staple gun and staples
Drill, sanding disk and cutting disk
Sanding block and sandpaper
Measuring tape

I made a template from some wrapping paper and transferred it to cardboard. I then used the template to cut the pegboard shaping the edges to make it fit the space using a rotary cutting disc. You should trim enough to give a small gap to allow for the thickness of the carpet. Glue the carpet to the pegboard leaving a 2" strip. Fold that over the edges and staple around the edge after priming with the spray on glue. You may wish to fix velcro to the V Channels on the inside of the trunk lid. This will not hold the weight and the studs are essential. It may hold the liner in place a little better but add to the cost.

Mark positions for the studs carefully. Drill holes through the liner into the V Frame. The stud pushes through and fits tightly into the frame behind. There are 2 studs at the top and 2 at the bottom.

Most Important: Be very careful not to press too hard and drill through the trunk lid

The finished item:

The logo was embroidered by my wife. You could buy the commercial GM logo but that would add to the cost.

An enhancement may be to fit some foam blocks at the lower outer corners. This would prevent some minor flexing.
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
jet843
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the feed back ......
you guys are super !!!!!!!!

JET843
Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 PM
c5biscuit
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my '03 I used 4 screws bought at Ace Hardware put them in the raised section, painted the heads black and no more problems. Attaches like the C6 liners do.
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the problem for 4 years even with the heavy duty velcro from Lowes. Finally fixed the problem with 2 black trim screws.
tawc5 (02-23-2023)
Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
nuklhd
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

I did DeeGee's method after fighting with it falling down for a couple of months, it has been solid ever since and I like the look also.

Get notified of new replies

To TRUNK LID LINER for vert keeps falling

Quick Reply: TRUNK LID LINER for vert keeps falling