Sponsored by:

C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 PM
SFL_driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99cobra
dude hit up those milfs, one of them is bound to have a daughter ur age, and u already know how shes gonna look 20 years down the road
I like the way you think
Old 11-28-2009, 11:23 PM
New Jersey
Racer

c5 is a pretty tame car. suitable for any man, woman, or child.
just make sure to really drive it! rain, snow, or shine!
it's just a car! dont baby it
Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 AM
#1 Moses
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound like you have given this a lot of thought. If you can afford to do it fine if not keep the VW and wait a few more years. good luck.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

It's not the car but the driver.

My son was 8 when we bought the '99 coupe. He's worked on every nut and bolt with me, learned to drive in it, drove it to high school often and had his first date in it.

The vette is part of the fabric of his life and oh the memories.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
JAMIROBri
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcbunn
Bad investment for an 18 year old. Put your money where it will grow! Not in a car.
Forget that. You're only young once!

When I was 18, I bought a nearly new '95 Z28. I owned that car for ten years and it was such a blast.

I've had my C5 for a few years now and enjoy the car more than I did my Z28 that I poored tons of money into. If you keep the Vette relatively stock (i.e. only buy exhaust and cold-air) then you'll get to enjoy the car for a reasonable price for many years! I'm very happy that I have a nice car that looks good and performs well that did not require a ton of mods.

If you ask me, I would take the Vette any day of the week over a Firebird. A WS6 is just a hood, wheels and ram-air on a stock TA or Formula. My '95 had every SS part and tons of motor mods and does not stack up in fun factor to my Vette.

Brian
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
wicked 98z
Pro

I got a 98 z28 at 16 and it was a good learning experience with a rwd. Had it for a year and slowly modded it. Ended up with a 10.4 car before i graduated. Picked up a c5 at 21 and havent looked back. the corvette is a lot easier to drive then the camaro.

Remember the payment is the easy part. Its the INS when your young is what kills you. i was glad when i turned 25 cause it dropped to 125 a month.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
dwspas
Pro

Go for it. When I was 16 I had a 56 Corvette that make me appricate cars and take of them. That 56 later financed most of College education. Corvette's are great cars go get one.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

TA's are great cars too. I've owned 5 of them and I still love 'em. They're only slightly more practical than a Vette. The costs are high to own either car.

I bought my 1st Vette when I was 19. I traded in a Trans Am for the Vette. If its your dream, go for it. That Vette was sold to fund another TA project a year later.

Like many others have already written, check to see what insurance will cost. Tires are expensive for C5's. Most everything on a C5 is more expensive than other cars - even If you're capable of doing the work yourself.

As far as buying an affordable Vette, try to take another Vette guy with you. Someone who knows what to look for in a C5. Check the high cost maintenance items - tires, shocks, brakes, clutch, convertible top condition, etc. Take it to a high pressure car wash and check it out for water leaks using a high pressure wand. Don't you dare run it through an auto car wash!

Before you buy it, take the car to a shop that will inspect the car for mechanical and other problems. Its worth the $100+/-. Be prepared to walk away from the car if a big problem is found.

Join a local club and ask questions. SoCal is a great place to own a Vette. There are a lot of helpful owners there.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i started driving my 98 c5 a4 at 16 im 18 now. they are amazing cars to drive very fun but you must respect the car. i have a friend same age who had a c4 last year and he wrecked into a tree at 140 mph. he broke all but 2 bones in his right foot almost had it amputated. he had a long list of other injuries as well. BE CAREFUL! as far as insurance check into cost-u-less insurance i have 1 speeding ticket on my record and i pay 70 a month for insurance.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
SFL_driver
Pro

Originally Posted by Trigger Creep
Welcome to the forum!

TA's are great cars too. I've owned 5 of them and I still love 'em. They're only slightly more practical than a Vette. The costs are high to own either car.

I bought my 1st Vette when I was 19. I traded in a Trans Am for the Vette. If its your dream, go for it. That Vette was sold to fund another TA project a year later.

Like many others have already written, check to see what insurance will cost. Tires are expensive for C5's. Most everything on a C5 is more expensive than other cars - even If you're capable of doing the work yourself.

As far as buying an affordable Vette, try to take another Vette guy with you. Someone who knows what to look for in a C5. Check the high cost maintenance items - tires, shocks, brakes, clutch, convertible top condition, etc. Take it to a high pressure car wash and check it out for water leaks using a high pressure wand. Don't you dare run it through an auto car wash!

Before you buy it, take the car to a shop that will inspect the car for mechanical and other problems. Its worth the $100+/-. Be prepared to walk away from the car if a big problem is found.

Join a local club and ask questions. SoCal is a great place to own a Vette. There are a lot of helpful owners there.

good post
Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been to Corvette Shows since I was in diapers! actually I can back track even further, I was in the "oven" at shows even! I have grown up from working on the AC battery powered Corvettes next to my father as he worked on the real thing... Until I could join in on the real thing. I just got my first Corvette this past weekend from Corvette Mike NE at age 21! You can never start too early. I know my father was 18 when he had his first, and has never stopped since! I wont stop either.... Its in the genes!!

GO FOR IT
Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 AM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Explain how you 'NEED' a car with more grunt.

Maybe you meant you desire one instead.

Unless that is you plan on pulling tree stumps out with the vette...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am 19 and had mine for about a year. You ll be fine just dont listen to your friends and use some sense. Ya know what I mean.

Rob

Good Luck with whatever you decide and btw get a stick
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

My first car at 16 was a 94 cadillac STS w/ the northstar V8 after that I had a LS1 Z28...that prepared me for my first C5 at age 18.. I've had 3 Vettes since i was 18, I am 22 now...If your use to the type of power then you grow to respect it...coming from a rabbit to a 345hp sportscar....ehhh Im not implying your immature or reckless...but even the old farts around here can get out of hand every now and then...self control will be key.

Now that I think of it, the only young Vette drivers that end up in ditches are the ones that were handed to them...work hard for something as substantial as a Corvette and Im sure you'll force yourself to treat it right

Last edited by niteriderc5; 12-07-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
NotAZO6
Instructor

at 16 i had a trans am ws6, now i own a 1998 corvette. bought both on my own, and love em both, i wish i had the trans am still, i loved that thing!!!

and the 1985 300zx turbo i had really made me think twice about fwd cars.....i love that car, still got it too1!

Last edited by NotAZO6; 12-07-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 359 Likes on 194 Posts

beware -

a set of OEM tires is $1500 and it's easy to burn up a set in one year. An older C5 in your price range will require $$ to keep maintained. things break and unless you are into DIY they are very expensive to get fixed.

Make sure you can afford it.

Now I'm going to give you the best advice you're ever going to get. Are you ready?

Keep your VW and buy a puppy. Girls love puppies. Take it on walks in a campus area and the chicks will practically kill themselves to introduce themselves to you and tell you how cute your puppy is.

I'm serious. Trust me.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was 18, I abused the crap out of my dad's Vette and the POS I drove at the time. But it always depends on the person. If you think you're mature enough not to kill yourself, do it.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 AM
dlivewyer
Pro

Originally Posted by ls1impulse
I'm 21 (got my '03Z at 20) and pay $106/month for full coverage $250 deductibles though nationwide since I've owned it.
Originally Posted by memphis_vette
i started driving my 98 c5 a4 at 16 im 18 now. as far as insurance check into cost-u-less insurance i have 1 speeding ticket on my record and i pay 70 a month for insurance.

I call BS on these. That insurance CAN'T possibly be in your name. And I'd be willing to bet that you are not listed as the primary driver.

Originally Posted by redraider1900
Shan15-Hey man, I'm 18 and got my 98 coupe about 6 months ago. As for insurance, you'll be very surprised how much it doesn't cost! When I first got the car, Ins. was about $2700/yr.
Originally Posted by SearayC5
I got my 03Z when I was 18 and am 20 now. I saved for it since I was 16. Insurance for me even though I had no accidents, was going to be 5000 dollars a year. OUCH. Just check around for options. Good luck.
These are more in line with realistic numbers for someone of your age. I'm 43 with a good driving record and I have shopped around a lot and my full coverage insurance for my '97 is $150 a month.

Also, I'm curious to know what kind of a job an 18 year old has that he can afford a $4-500 car payment and a $200+ insurance payment AND go to school full time.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my thoughts.

Like already said, Respect is the most important thing to remember with any sports car. I Know I did it and didnt respect the my first Camaro (2000 SS) and it bit me in the butt real fast. There will always be a time where you will get on it etc. These cars are fast stock and can act like a untamed animal when Wide Open. It will be chaeper to mod the T/A over the Vette. You can get the same parts, but certain areas like Exhaust are more expensive than what the T/A would run. Whenever you buy any part from the delaer for the vette you will get charged Corvette tax since its a corvette even tho the same part will work on any other LS1.

Since I won both a Camaro and a Vette, heres my opinion on how they feel and drive.

Camaro.... Is a great car, handles well, drives nice and is pretty comfortable. Has nice power and is fun to cruise in.

Corvette... is also a great car, handles like its on rails, very comfortable to drive, one of the most comfortable cars I have driven. Has nice power as well,and is also fun to drive. This car I could take cross country and be comfortable. The camaro would get old after a few hours and become uncomfortable.

For gas Mileage, the vette is awesome, so is the T/A. The motors are the same, its just the weight of the car that makes a big difference and the handleing between the two.

Either are good choices, you might see the insurance bill being higher with the vette due to the type of car. Get what you want... and have fun,drive safe.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for it!

-Alex

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?