Sponsored by:

pay cash or try and get a loan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryda85
ok guys, ive managed to save about 13,000 over the past year. ive tried to get financing online a few times earlier this year with no luck. i also have about 10k in credit debt.

now here are the options:

pay off my credit cards and try and get a loan, which will be tough these days. if i dont get approved i can start saving a little quicker since i dont have to pay any credit card bills every month. only downside to this is its winter now and vettes are not a winter car. im afraid if it takes too long to save up i will miss out on some savings.

second option is to buy a car cash, no monthly payment and just stay on track with my debt.

what do you guys think
First remove the emotion of buying a Vette.

Next figure how much interest you are paying on your debts.
Now figure how much your $13,000 can earn for you i.e. possible equity over a period of time if you bought a home. or invested in the market, ect. ( example; I invested in a rental home 15 years ago with less than $5000 on a $72,000 price. renters paid the mortage, I got the tax breaks, put some sweat into it and sold it for $540,000. )Home prices are the lowest in 30 years and they will inflate.

Now figure how much you are paying over time for this Vette with a loan. Loans are easy to get now , fact easier now than it should be. A Vette is not an investment .

My advice ( I retired at 40 y/o) is to payoff your debts and invest the rest. I assume that you are young and have time. (another story; got out of college and all my friends got jobs and bought new cars. I drove vintage muscle cars and invested the same amount of money my friends spent on their new cars into realesate and the stock market. I took the equity out of one home and bought another and another till I had six (6) rentals. I got out of the stock market and realestate in 2006 when my wife retired from her career. My father's advice to me , which I followed was to invest, let your money make money for you. My father retired with four children at 54 y/o, he and my mother traveled till he passed away at 80 y/o. You can not earn enough on a salary or hourly wage to retire but investments can earn staggering amounts of money.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Logg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Pay off the credit cards without a doubt.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:52 AM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryda85
little update guys, paid off all the cards!

total amount of debt paid was $9273.47

It really sucks to see that much money disappear in less than an hour and having nothing to show for it, but its great feeling that i have no more bills except my living expenses now. i have a truck for work that is paid off so all i gotta do is save for a few more months and i might be able to grab one cash.

i was even thinking to try and get a loan anyway, link it to a bank account with sutomatic payments, and build some credit some more.
Smart choice. Congrats.

Quick Reply: pay cash or try and get a loan?