Sponsored by:

Sticky steering wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Nathon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfsvettes
Glad I was able to find this thread. Just bought an 01 vert from a good buddy of mine. THe harder I tried to clean it the more gooey it got !
What a mess. If you touched it you left a finger print

Thanks Guys
welcome to the club of frustration, lol Let me know how it goes if you do it. But yes exact same thing. My fingerprints were In mine too. I still haven't cleaned mine yet. Not looking forward to it. : )
Old 06-07-2018, 09:38 PM
sfsvettes
BubbaHut
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Nathon
welcome to the club of frustration, lol Let me know how it goes if you do it. But yes exact same thing. My fingerprints were In mine too. I still haven't cleaned mine yet. Not looking forward to it. : )
Found the Ala's Awesome at the Dollar General and used the two faced sponge with the scotch brite looking side .. About 30 mins worth of elbow greasy and I'm very happy with the result
The $ 1.00 spray bottle & 1.00 sponge did the trick
Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM
mikesvette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I live in Arkansas and the previous owner used what even to make it look good and it did the same as yours did. I used a little bit of alcohol and some of my wife's face cleaning pads just doing a little bit at a time and it came out no sticky no more then applied McGuire leather detailing to it. Its not glossy anymore and might have stripped the glossy clear of of it but looks and feels great.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

for the last year, my steering wheel has become sticky, and tonight I used some Goo-Gone with a sponge

after cleaning it off, air-bag pad is about 70% better, so I will let it set for the night, and apply a 2nd treatment tomorrow
Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 492 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I got the sticky off with goo gone and then used SEM to re-dye it. I think it looks pretty good.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glensgages
for the last year, my steering wheel has become sticky, and tonight I used some Goo-Gone with a sponge

after cleaning it off, air-bag pad is about 70% better, so I will let it set for the night, and apply a 2nd treatment tomorrow
didn't get a chance to look at my project Saturday, but early Sunday morning, it appeared to have returned to it's previous, gooey-mess condition, so I tired again, with slightly better results

after re-reading this thread again, I moved the C5 into the blazing Florida sun, let it sit for 2 hours, and tried it a 3rd time:
except for some small places (where the air-bag cover flares into the 4 spokes) that need some minor touch-up, it seems that heating the surface is a key feature, as it is now dry to the touch

thanks for the helpful tip
Old 12-09-2018, 08:42 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

There are numerous threads on here about this problem and many solutions have been offered to get the sticky off.
My 2000 A4 just developed this - it has been cold down here, car is always under the house out of the weather and sun, never used Armorall or anything on it, it just decided to get real sticky. It has to do with "outgassing" of the vinyl and is a natural part of the aging process of this material.
Suggestions to clean it off have included a degreaser, Goo Gone, Goof Off, lacquer thinner, saddle soap, scrub with a Scotchbrite pad, and others I have forgotten. I used what I had around the house -
I tried first with Pine Sol (degreaser), which worked somewhat but not entirely, alcohol (did nothing), mineral spirits (slightly effective), and because none of these harmed the surface, then went to a rmicrofiber towel with a little acetone on it, That did the trick and did not harm the surface at all, just cleaned it off to new. Sounds drastic, but it worked and did no harm, and was quick and easy.
Then, to protect it, I sprayed it and wiped it down with Silicone spray, and now it looks like new and feels great, smooth, clean, and not too shiny. It's been like that a few weeks now. - very happy with the result. I may spray it and wipe it down every few months, if I remember.

Last edited by mrlmd; 12-09-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 PM
glassman2000
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default sticky steering wheel

I used the Ala's Awesome from the Dollar General. A little rubbing and being sure to turn the cloth so to wipe each area
with a clean surface. I wiped the area down afterward with clean water and then applied some meguars interior detailer. Looks good..
Cost of product $1.00 .( approximately 30 min.)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:01 PM
bradleyss14
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Revived this old thread and wanted to share what worked for me. Tip: remove the fuse for the horn so you can scrub harder without pissing off the neighbors.

I started with goo-gone and a microfiber towel. That didn’t work very well at all. The microfiber towel I think was the biggest part. Those are only good for applying finishes or removing wax. Not good for cleaning in my experience.

I saw someone else suggested saddle soap. I wet a small terry cotton washcloth and used saddle soap. That worked very very well. I was left with a nice matte finish that was clean and smooth without any stickiness. I decided to saddle soap the steering wheel itself to prep it for leather treatment as well. When the center was finished, I applied 303 protectant and buffed it back to a finish I would equate to

eggshell. Not matte. Not satin. Somewhere in between. It looks very “factory” and not “car show unnecessarily shiny”.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Mfr
3rd Gear

Default Solution in 5 min

My air bag was sticky too. My detailer told me to use orange hand cleaner and microfiber. The cloth is black, the airbag is the same color and it only took 5 minutes and its perfect !
Old 02-10-2021, 10:09 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Lyle from C&S corvettes has a vid on youtube about how to fix this, white vinegar and a rag, it's all you need, fixed mine completely.

Last edited by F1Fan; 02-10-2021 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hepcat (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Hepcat
Racer

Received 322 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the same issue developing. Putting more dressing on won't solve the issue. I do need to tackle; here's a few video tutorials:

The following users liked this post:
Quicksilver Vert 01 (07-15-2022)
Old 02-10-2021, 11:26 AM
corvette.cw
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 156 Posts

I used saddle soap. I just used it with an old toothbrush and an ordinary clean rag, didn't bother with microfiber towels.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:28 AM
corvette.cw
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 156 Posts

This topic comes up from time to time. You'd think that someone would make this a sticky thread!
The following 2 users liked this post by corvette.cw:
MWWarlord (02-10-2021), USAZR1 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Hepcat
Racer

Received 322 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette.cw
I used saddle soap. I just used it with an old toothbrush and an ordinary clean rag, didn't bother with microfiber towels.
I’m curious why saddle soap works. The other solutions suggest they work as removal agents taking the “gummy” away. Does saddle soap work as an abrasive? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:39 PM
LSgoBRRR
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
It is similar to Armour All (although I never trusted Armour All on my cars).
I've been using their wipes forever, never had an issue with them on my other cars, the dash, doors, steering wheel, pillars... if it's plastic or vinyl I wipe it with them.

Last edited by LSgoBRRR; 02-10-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:20 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by LSgoBRRR
I've been using their wipes forever, never had an issue with them on my other cars, the dash, doors, steering wheel, pillars... if it's plastic or vinyl I wipe it with them.
I bought a 1979 Z28 off the showroom floor in October of '78, and Armor All is the only thing that's touched the interior the entire time

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky steering wheel???

Old 04-05-2021, 01:23 PM
Jerry Allen
1st Gear

My steering wheel air bag cover was like black chewing gum. Here's what worked for me and a few others, HD Degreaser. Don't use Goof Off or Goo Gone. Diluted the degreaser; 1 part degreaser, 2 parts water. Shake well. Spray the cover, let it sit and do it's work. Put a towel under the wheel. It should start to drip black. Spray again, let it sit for a minute. Use a dish scruby, the blue kind with a sponge on the other side. Scrub the cover, spray, scrub repeat until all the gooey stuff is gone. Took me about 15 minutes. Rinse well with wet towel. Now here's interesting tip, once dry, lightly coat with mineral oil or baby oil, same thing, smells nice. Let that sit for a minute or so, then buff. Mine looks brand new. Not sure how long this will last, but it looks great.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Luigi9999
1st Gear

Default Sticky airbag solved

91% isopropyl alcohol and paper towels. Takes less than 10 minutes. The paper towels need to be used to absorb oxidized vinyl while scrubbing off residue. Use old soft toothbrush to get into logo areas. After all residue removed I used Chemical Guys VRP to dress.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:56 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Ammonia and green scrubbing pad, took all that junk off, looks new.

Quick Reply: Sticky steering wheel???