Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous Belt squeal from heLL!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 PM
CMC Corvette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw that so many of you had success with the Goodyear Gatorback belts that I got one (the main belt; stock # ends in 798) and put it on my 2001 5.7L. THE NOISE IS GONE; HOWEVER---- While replacing the belt, I noticed that as I would release and apply the belt tension on the main tensioner pulley (top of engine, passenger side), that the pulley would turn slightly sideways. (Tension off, the pulley would be straight; tension on, the pulley would go slightly sideways again.) Even though the new belt eliminated the squeak/squeal, I am convinced that the pulley was the main problem and I did not want a pulley out of line. I have just replaced the tensioner/pulley ($40 for the part). It took me less than 10 minutes to get the belt off, unscrew the two tensioner/pulley bolts and remove, and replace with the new tensioner. I've got a total of $60 in the belt and tensioner/pulley.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:59 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
It might come back.

If it does, then you should check your two tensioners. Not the pulleys themselves, but the tensioners. When they wear, they start to twist, causing the pulley and the belt to not align correctly. When the belt runs slightly sideways on the pulley, it causes the squeal.

It is usually the AC tensioner.
For what it's worth, I just went through this on my 02 ford Ranger. Terrible squeal. Changed the belt, (it did stop for a couple days) idler pulley, and tensioner pulley to no avail. Finally changed the tensioner and all is quiet. Upon inspecting it, you could see the twist.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 PM
taucoin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b18c1950
trust me bro it sounds stupid but you have no idea how annoying it is. Its constant when car is warmed up

harmonic balancer is the crank pulley btw

everyone's squeak noise is different some lucky ones only have to replace the belt or at worse the belt tensioner but mine didnt stop with those things

any one else please?
I went through the same issue, finally sent to dealership after trying 2 new GM belts plus gator back, alternator & idler pulley & still had the squeal. It ended up being the harmonic balancer which did look like it had a wobble. Good luck, mine was loud too!!!! Know what you are going through.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 410 Likes on 328 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Here was my solution:

My balancer did not wobble a bit...it had begun to delaminate, and had walked forward about an 1/8" of an inch. That in turn caused my a/c tensioner to angle to adjust to it's new position, which ate the bearing.

I ended up replacing the balancer with an ATI unit (overkill), the a/c tensioner completely with a Dayco unit (made in USA, instead of the GM unit that is made in Korea), all of the other pulleys, also Dayco, and the belts with Gates Racing Blue belts, the main drive tensioner with a fixed Katech unit. My a/c compressor was also barely leaking at the halves, but I wasn't taking any chances that the seeping oil was responsible for any of this, and changed it too.

No more squeaks or squeals....
Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 PM
SusanD37083
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dbaker
IMO,unless the belt is wornout or loose,It is probably oily/dirty.

I clean mine by putting some powder cleanser on them and fire it up.The dry powder will usually clean off the grease and it'll be fine until it's dirty again.

\db2
carolina
What kind of powder cleanser? The squeal drives me nuts. The faster I go, the louder it squeals.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Welcome to the Corvette forum Susan. Do not put any cleanser on your belts... Find out which belt of the two ( the AC Belt or the drive belt ) ( both belts have a tensioner and an idler ) is squealing, and replace the belt and the tensioner and idler pullies for that belt system.
Bill aka ET
The following users liked this post:
SusanD37083 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,233 Likes on 877 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SusanD37083
What kind of powder cleanser? The squeal drives me nuts. The faster I go, the louder it squeals.
Welcome to the CF Susan...There is a very good chance that your harmonic balancer needs replacing....GM C5 balancers are famous for seperation and need replacing over time...especially if yours is the original from 2003...otherwise even if you change all the other things the problem will persist...
SusanD37083 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 PM
CMC Corvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by Yello95
Welcome to the CF Susan...There is a very good chance that your harmonic balancer needs replacing....GM C5 balancers are famous for seperation and need replacing over time...especially if yours is the original from 2003...otherwise even if you change all the other things the problem will persist...
I’d still take a chance on a $50 tensioner before I spent a truckload on a balancer! 🤪
SusanD37083 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CMC Corvette

I’d still take a chance on a $50 tensioner before I spent a truckload on a balancer! 🤪
Actually a lot more than $50...i replaced 2 tensioners , 2 pulleys and 2 belts and it worked for a while...then the chirping came back because the harmonic balancer made them go bad and I had to replace all again plus the balancer......So much for MY "$50 chance"......
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 AM
CMC Corvette
Cruising

Default I got lucky!

Sorry you had to go the expensive route!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CMC Corvette
Sorry you had to go the expensive route!
It wasn't that expensive...had my Vette since new in early 2004...a new balancer and a few other normal replacement parts...i wanted to start fresh after 14 years...time is the killing factor of the crap GM balancer that was purposely engineered to crap out after about 7 years of deterioration not mileage per say.....i paid more for my Z06 wheels......anyhoo...this Vette owes me nothing......i feel sorta guilty for being blessed with pleasure for the past 14 years......
Old 04-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Kmadr1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem this year, replaced two belts, cleaned all the grooves in the pulleys, what stumps me is that if the air or outside temps are warm ( over 65* plus ), the noise is gone until it cools off again.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:22 PM
Dave Anthony
1st Gear

Default Try this

Originally Posted by b18c1950
i have the same dam problem

here is what a replaced so far
1. belts on the 3rd one now (including gatorback)
2. idler pulley
3. driver belt tensioner
4. Water pump (yep even that)
5. Crank Pulley

Replaced ac belt.
Drove without ac belt noise still there
Is there anything left???

Alternator pulley?

Someone please shoot me

Im seriously thinking about putting it up for sale.

Its the Harmonic Balancer dude...

Old 08-30-2020, 03:26 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 440 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Anthony
Its the Harmonic Balancer dude...
He drove it off a cliff back in 2012 when that was his last post.
The following 2 users liked this post by helga203:
grinder11 (07-12-2021), USAZR1 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 03:46 PM
dmsog
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
...time is the killing factor of the crap GM balancer that was purposely engineered to crap out after about 7 years of deterioration not mileage per say.....
Could you point me to a reference showing that this indeed fact? Thanks-
DECON BLUE (08-30-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:30 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 319 Likes on 274 Posts

The C5 Harmonic balancer has two known problems, on is the de-lamination of the bond or the bolt becomes heat cycled and the balancer moves forward into the power steering rack. Many who have HPDE, raced or autocrossed their cars have experienced this problem. For the race cars and HPDE cars, the ATI, etc HB was an easy replacement for those who autocross in a stock class, you had to replace it with a GM one. The only recourse was to pin the balancer. In either case: separation or movement, the belts will sequel loudly and confuse what is the problem--usually a tensioner.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:16 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 396 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by JW Motorsports
I can't answer the water pump questions as I have no clue, but mine did this and a new tensioner and idler pulley (I see you replaced it already) fixed it for me. Mine was on the A/C system though. My tensioner was peeling and tearing apart.
My chirp was remedied when the idler for the AC belt was replaced. Also - just before going to Carlisle I read some notes from a seminar I attended last year. I recall reading that one (only one) of the idlers has a "depth adjust" and maybe fiddling with that would help.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Ls10291
3rd Gear

Default Belt squeal possibilities

With the colder weather and the humidity in my area I’ve had belt squeak on start ups and it’ll stop once the car hits about 140 degrees had me stumped. To preface the vette started squeaking it about a week after I bought it put a new tensioner and serpentine belt in the squeaking stopped for about two weeks. Then started to come back. I looked into it possibly being

the harmonic balancer(checked no play or slippage)

tensioner(still tight)

belt(no cracks or wear)

ac belt and ac tensioner we’re both replaced right before car was bought checked both and they are still in great condition

one thing I’ve found is the power steering pump pulley on these cars are pretty terrible they can crack and due to them being pressed on they can become loose

to check this today I removed the belt checked for cracks(there was none) and there was no play)

after putting the belt back on there was no squeaking and the engine was cold so my problem has resolved itself I’ll update with any changes

I apologize for the long post.

Quick Reply: Infamous Belt squeal from heLL!!