Sponsored by:

Rear Deck Paint Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Ric's02ElecBlu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Deck Paint Bubble

I have seen the comments on here saying the proper thing to do is replace the whole deck but thats kind of expensive and I would rather just leave the paint alone than spend 1500 to 3K to replace the whole deck. So my question is has anyone ever have the fiberglass sanded down and painted to save on cost and if so what was the result, did the bubble come back?

Please let me know and happy 4th to everyone
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,989 Likes on 14,404 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

There was a Technical Service Bulletin about this - a copy is below:

Document ID# 1538514
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear Hatch Surface Blistering (Replace Hatch) #04-08-51-003 - (Jul 20, 2004)
Rear Hatch Surface Blistering (Replace Hatch)
1999-2004 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition

Some customers may comment that the paint is blistering around the rear hatch. Refer to the area shown in the illustration above.

Cause
An insulator material between the inner and outer panel may be leeching through the outer panel causing it to blister.

Correction
Replace the Rear Hatch. Refer to SI Document ID #657265.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Panel Assemble Rear Compartment

Parts are currently available from GMSPO

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B3710 Lid, Stowage, Replace 0.4 hr

C0660 Glass, Back Window Replace (Fixed Roof) 1.0 hr

A2730 Lid, Rear Compartment -- Refinish/Clear Coat 1.6 GK

Add:

Paint Mix Time 0.3 hr

That said, I don't recall seeing anyone that has had that problem post up how they fixed it - whether it was through a replacement hatch or from a repair.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric's02ElecBlu
I have seen the comments on here saying the proper thing to do is replace the whole deck but thats kind of expensive and I would rather just leave the paint alone than spend 1500 to 3K to replace the whole deck. So my question is has anyone ever have the fiberglass sanded down and painted to save on cost and if so what was the result, did the bubble come back?

Please let me know and happy 4th to everyone
If GM could fix the problem for cheaper they would do it! You'll likely get more (better) responses if you ask your question in the "Paint/Body" forum on this site. Generally, when a substance capable of blistering paint leeches into the fiberglass, the offending fiberglass has to be removed (cut out or ground down) or the problem will just return.

If the offending substance was on the SURFACE of the panel the panel, then the area could be ground down to remove the substance and the ground out area filled with new fiberglass. In this case, the offending substance is on the BACK SIDE of the panel and has leeched through. This area would have to be CUT OUT and patched to keep the problem from reoccurring. (If the surface was just ground down, then the blistering substance on the back would eventually just leech through the repair material.

It is more cost effective for GM to replace rather than repair this part, but a search of the Paint/Body Forum archives - if GM has a TSB on this problem you are NOT alone.

Last edited by mapman; 07-05-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:17 PM
ZIPP IT
Advanced

Default Paint Blistering rear deck lid.

I have been in contact with Chevrolet about the issue the 1999-2004 can have with rear deck lid. I have a 2003 anniversary edition with 12,000 miles, always garaged and in excellent shape. Technical service Bulletin 1538514 describes this problem exactly. Chevrolet notified me today that they had pulled the Service bulletin because they no longer make a replacement part for these cars. Yes, I thought all parts were to be made for 10 years. (Joke) Government motors can do what they want, no longer required to make parts. Basically even if they were to say yes we will fix the rear deck lid, they have no parts to fix it with.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 PM
fruss48
Instructor

Default Crop Circles

Crop circles is what I call my rear deck blisters. I was told by a body shop that the only way to get rip of them is to cut out the blisters and and go deep enough to get all of the leaching material out and then go back with filler and sand and repaint the hatch. I have only seen them on black vettes.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 PM
rdwiv
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIPP IT
I have been in contact with Chevrolet about the issue the 1999-2004 can have with rear deck lid. I have a 2003 anniversary edition with 12,000 miles, always garaged and in excellent shape. Technical service Bulletin 1538514 describes this problem exactly. Chevrolet notified me today that they had pulled the Service bulletin because they no longer make a replacement part for these cars. Yes, I thought all parts were to be made for 10 years. (Joke) Government motors can do what they want, no longer required to make parts. Basically even if they were to say yes we will fix the rear deck lid, they have no parts to fix it with.
Well, then. That's depressing. My 2000 DBGM vert has this issue.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
ZIPP IT
Advanced

Default rear deck lid

Well after getting no help from Chevrolet to repair the deck lid on my 2003 Anniversary Edition. I went to the top of GM. It took them some time to try and figure out a solution. Since they no longer make the rear deck lid, we only have ones that are out there in junk yards or body shops. My car has been in the body shop now for 2 weeks. They found a donor deck. As soon as they painted the donor deck the bubbling showed up worse than my original deck. GM is now looking for another rear deck lid. The GM management has been very good at trying to fix this issue at their expense. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My DBGM is the same.

It hasn't gotten worse and isn't that noticeable except when I wash it and I'm looking right at it.

But, if you have success with GM fixing it I may have to pursue it also. I'll be following this thread.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The problem is from the inside out-you would have to cut it out completely and put a patch piece in.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

I thought all parts were to be made for 10 years.
I used to think that, too. Have since found out it's not true or required by law.

We only have ones that are out there in junk yards or body shops.
That's distressing. I imagine that all OE C5-specific parts will be difficult or impossible to obtain in the nor-too-distant future.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Body dtuff can be fixed/fabbed-it's the ELECTRONICS that will put many of these cars in the boneyard.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:22 AM
ZIPP IT
Advanced

I just had my 2003 Chevrolet Corvette rear deck lid fixed. Replaced the deck lid with new unit. Found a guy that has some new ones. Tried a used one first and it did the same thing. It looks beautiful again.Cost to do all repairs about $3000. Everything was new. If anyone would like to buy a new hatch for 1999-2004 contact me and I will give you number to call.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone have pictures of what these look like, and exactly where they form?

Are they a problem for the frc/z06?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM
03sixspeed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear deck lid problem

Well after getting no help from Chevrolet to repair the deck lid on my 2003 Anniversary Edition. I went to the top of GM. It took them some time to try and figure out a solution. Since they no longer make the rear deck lid, we only have ones that are out there in junk yards or body shops. My car has been in the body shop now for 2 weeks. They found a donor deck. As soon as they painted the donor deck the bubbling showed up worse than my original deck. GM is now looking for another rear deck lid. The GM management has been very good at trying to fix this issue at their expense. I will keep you posted.
I spoke to Harlan Charles from Chervrolet about this problem and he said he could help. After a couple of e-mails he stopped helping and would not respond. Chevrolet said they would pay for half of the repair which really means I'm paying for it to me. This is just another case of a defect they don't plan on fixing. My argument with GM was you could buy a Chevy aveo and if it would have outer body rust thru in 10 years they would honor the claim. But guys who spent 50,000 for a fiberglass car get screwed.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM
ZIPP IT
Advanced

No one has been able to find "NEW" not used deck lids for 1999-2004 Corvettes. I stumbled upon a nice guy while searching internet that has them. Here is the contact number if need one. Shaun Carter 248 276 0483. I used him and they are brand new without glass. Turned out really nice. Excellent guy to work with. Good Luck
Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

When I was negotiating the deal for my 2000 Black Coupe I noticed some irregularities on the rear of the hatch. The seller said it looked like some sort of delamination. I was new to the C5 and did not know of the known issue so let him try buffing out the area. It looked good when he was finished and continues to look good today after three plus years. Now it may not have been the issue we are discussing here and simply a flaw in the clear coat, but now I am worried and may just buy a "new" hatch for future use if needed. Question is: when did they start producing "new" hatches that wont suffer the issue the "old" ones seem to have?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by phinfan
Anyone have pictures of what these look like, and exactly where they form?

Are they a problem for the frc/z06?
Yes, my FRC has this issue. It's only noticable in certain light conditions. I have also heard that "most" of the time the issue doesn't get worse. I sure hope that's correct. I love my car, but it has the worst build quality of any car I have ever had, and I've had a bunch.

Mine is on the outside edges of the trunk. It really is only noticeable in certain light conditions though, if I would have seen it when I bought it, I would have walked myself because the repair on something as elementary as this is expensive to repair what they screwed up.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 11-14-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Deck Paint Bubble

Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
my50thAE
Instructor

Does anyone have pics of the paint issue being discussed here? I have an '03 AE Red Coupe that under bright sunlight the rear hatch paint looks imperfect.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
DarkBlueC5
Instructor

I've got the bubbles on my 2000 NBM coupe. Only notice it at a certain angle, when glare from lights or sun is right on it. Only one other person has ever noticed it unless I showed them - but it does cover a pretty significant area between the rear glass and the rear lip of the hatch. I figure (and hope) that it's had 12 years to do something more than bubbles under the surface of the clear coat, and since it hasn't gotten worse in that time, it probably won't get any worse than it is now. (fingers crossed!)
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
ZIPP IT
Advanced

I can't speak for all cars only mine. First if you search the forum there are already pictures of issue posted. The area in question is the bonding strip area on both sides of the corvette emblem on deck lid. The issue was more pronounced in the hot weather or if car was sitting in sunlight and when it cooled it was not as bad almost appeared to go away. I was told that the 2004 deck lids were changed, exactly what that means not sure. I can say that the donor lid was a 2004 and when painted from a regular red to anniversary red it was worse than my original one. It may all be guess work.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...me-help-3.html

Quick Reply: Rear Deck Paint Bubble