Sponsored by:

Hankook V12 tire pressure ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BTAL
Without going out to look, doesn't the sidewall of the Hankooks call for something like 42psi? IIRC, that's what is marked on the tire and close to what I'm running.

That's the maximum tire pressure allowed before risking a blowout. Because they go on different cars, different cars have different tire pressure requirements. Ours just happen to be 30psi.

Does anyone actually read the previous/related posts or their owners manual or pay attention to the stickers that are stuck all over the car............?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 957 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewjenk
That's the maximum tire pressure allowed before risking a blowout. Because they go on different cars, different cars have different tire pressure requirements. Ours just happen to be 30psi.

Does anyone actually read the previous/related posts or their owners manual or pay attention to the stickers that are stuck all over the car............?

I cannot believe some of the posts on this issue.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve8
I cannot believe some of the posts on this issue.

UPDATE:
My wife and I ran the autocross yesterday, a 1 mile, airport runway course, speeds up to 70mph, I was running in the high 70 seconds, fastest guys in the low 70's. My wife and I each got in 6 runs, total runs 12. It was a fast course, no heavy braking or tight corners.
I ran 33-34 lbs front and 31.5-33 lbs rear. I had no sidewall scuffing and traction was great. Tire pressures went up after each run so I had to lower and adjust tire pressures after each run.
I think you could run up to 34-35 if it was a tight course.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Fast20
Advanced

Apparently every possible question that could ever be asked, has been. Sometimes it's just easier to ask than to search the sight for 45 min. to find input from 5 years ago. I noticed that YOU replied on this topic.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Fast20
Advanced

By the way, I bought my vette used and it didn't have an owners manual.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Originally Posted by Fast20
By the way, I bought my vette used and it didn't have an owners manual.

That is to be understood about not getting an owner's manual with the car. Actually PDF versions are available online.

Sorry if you felt offended, but this isn't personal. I am sure that you have owned a lot of other vehicles in the past and that you have consulted the owners manual or the sticker stuck in the side of the door for tire air pressure. Or maybe you have not.

There are still a lot of older drivers who still depress the gas pedal before start on 1980's cars and up. Fill the tires up with air until the tire looks full, look for the grease fittings on the chassis, straight 40 weight oil and other things. All because they don't read or seek written advise. My own relative brought a new car and called me to find out how to turn on the wipers during a storm, when asked if they took time out to learn about the car or if they read the owners manual. The reply was that they did not have time.

Although your question was legit. It has been the focus of many posts and thus could have been found through a search. Which would have avoided some of the criticism and harsh replies.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-pressure.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-pressure.html

Search is your friend, this is rated USER ERROR.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Originally Posted by Fast20
Apparently every possible question that could ever be asked, has been. Sometimes it's just easier to ask than to search the sight for 45 min. to find input from 5 years ago. I noticed that YOU replied on this topic.

Of course I replied, it's still the right thing to do, when another forum member asks a question and needs help. After all, I wouldn't want you to run 40lbs pressure and risk a blowout and/or worse.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

I see that the consensus is to run any brand tire, by they manufactures recommendation. While I agree the max pressure printed on the tire is not an indication of what you should run, I would not assume the manufacturer's sticker is correct either. I would only assume it is correct for those tires the factory has tested on the car.. While it may be the same, the best thing to do is contact the tire manufacturer and see what they say for that particular tire, on your car.
I know from many years riding motorcycles, not all are the same.. Example: switching from OEM Bridgestones to Avons Venoms on full dress touring bikes the safe and proper pressure is higher.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

I was just reading the manual, and it says the sticker inside the door (which says 30psi) is the MINIMUM safe pressure for operating the vehicle when loaded to capacity. It also says for safety reasons if you will doing speeds in excess of 175mph you should inflate the tires to 38psi.

Stock tires say max pressure for them is 44psi, I would think anywhere from 30psi to 44psi with stock tires would be safe, and you could adjust to your preference. Right now mine are 31 front and 34 rear.. That is how the dealer set them.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Originally Posted by hig4s
I was just reading the manual, and it says the sticker inside the door (which says 30psi) is the MINIMUM safe pressure for operating the vehicle when loaded to capacity. It also says for safety reasons if you will doing speeds in excess of 175mph you should inflate the tires to 38psi.

Stock tires say max pressure for them is 44psi, I would think anywhere from 30psi to 44psi with stock tires would be safe, and you could adjust to your preference. Right now mine are 31 front and 34 rear.. That is how the dealer set them.
Dealers do things to keep you coming back..................If the car feels good at that setting on the rear tires, then good, but keep checking for over inflation pre-wearing
Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM
CBZZZC5
Burning Brakes

Same tires 30 PSI
Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im pretty sure that ET who help design the C5 stated that in order to obtain the best wear results out of your tires is going to be achieved with a tire pressure of ~ 30 PSI Hot which works out to be ~ 26 PSI cold. Of course that varies with the ambient air temperature a little bit so that would require you to make adjustments throughout the year.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

I couldn't find it in the manual, does anyone know at what pressures the TPMS alarms?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Recommended tire pressures are usually based on the weight placed on the tire. Most tires in the Corvette sizes have a max carrying weight of approx 1600 lbs each. The sidewall max pressure is to carry the recommended max weight. Since 1600 X 4 equals 6400 lbs at max pressure, it stands to reason that a 3300 lb Corvette would not need the tires pumped up to max pressure. Therefore, in terms of carrying weight only, Corvette tire pressure should be 26 lbs. cold which would be approx 30 lbs at running temps. Factor in higher speeds and more demanding use, and that pressure would be approx 30 lbs cold and 35lbs hot. Does this make sense?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by hig4s
I couldn't find it in the manual, does anyone know at what pressures the TPMS alarms?
25psi on the low end.

Use nitrogen @ 30 psi once it is in it will not contract as much in cold weather as air. It has expanded to 34 on long trips for me. I just love all the newbs who know more than the engineers do. The correct answer was above for proper balance between wear and performance it is 30psi +- 3 psi. So here we have one more time.

Quick Reply: Hankook V12 tire pressure ?