Sponsored by:

Why is my Rare Fairway green corvette not selling

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 957 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Green in general is a very unpopular car color. See many GREEN cars around?

While I like DBGM, I do not like fairway green. Greens over the years are not popular.
And yes, your price is also a little high for the age.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just looked at your ad. Not to be disrespectful, but I agree, it is very poorly written. I would rewrite it, using correct punctuation and complete sentences. Pictures say a thousand words, so take some flattering shots with your pretty car, and try it again. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have in your avatar where you are located. It's the end of the summer, some locations are in the 50s or lower in temp. We're supposed to hit 56 here in SC tonight.

What does that mean? Summertime is over, people are thinking about the holidays now, not sports cars and showing off. If ya can wait till spring. Else ya might get lowballed........
Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 224 Posts

Find some teenager in the neighborhood to write your ad and take some pictures.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Where to start..? Umm 1997! Auto, Green, custom exhaust?? What is that? glasspacks? Oh, and $15K... remove your personal feelings about the car and publish the facts w pic's.. just my .02
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree 100% on putting some time into writing a decent ad with some decent pics. One giant rambling run-on sentence with no pictures isn't going to sell anything.

Furthermore, I also agree with green being an undesirable color. Plus, it's an automatic which is undesirable. It's also a '97, even more undesirable. The icing on the cake is all of the tacky mods. I see lots of chrome/stainless stuff thrown about in the engine bay, the tail lights, hell even the windshield wipers. It even has mudflaps!

Long story short, either wait for the perfect buyer to come along or be happy with $12-13k at best. $15k is way high.

Dope
Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 208 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Green in general is a very unpopular car color. See many GREEN cars around?
Green has historically been the worst resale valued car. Any car salesman will tell you this. Unless he is trying to sell it to you!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRKLYN
Green!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Well to me "a very rare color" means an UGLY color... if I were not ugly it would not be rare... And I say this as an owner of a 64 Saddle Tan car which was the rarest Color made in 1964...!!!!

But in my case I like the color PLUS who wants to own yet another RED Corvette... LOL

I am also the original owner of a 1998 6 sp Z51 Convertible which just turned 26,000 mils this past summer (boy I hate to use the term PAST...).. and to me your asking price is a little on the high side although not by a heck of s lot..

What turns me off... and what may turn off a lot of potential buyers is the over the top bling under the hood taillights ( I missed the wipers I guess) ..I'd simply remove a good amount of that stuff... and I ( up until recently would not buy an automatic but due to issues with my legs actually went out and purchased my very first automatic last year (not a Vette but a daily driver truck) ...

The wheels and exhaust both rate as a major plus to me ( 90 percent of Corvettes I swear have after market cat back systems on their cars and just about any wheel looks better then the OEM Wagon wheels...

60,000 miles is not exactly a low mileage car BUT heck your car is 14 years old..(4000 miles a year ..female owner..makes the car at least sound like it was not abused 1/4 miles at a time...and by the looks It tells me you sure keep it good looking...

BTW.. I currently own 6 Corvettes and every single year when I leave for Carlisle my wife tells me IF I buy yet anther Corvette IT BETTER BE GREEN.... so some people do like the color...

Bob G.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
As a fan of the Fairway Greens, I have a few observations about your ad.

1. In the For Sale section, your ad is hastily and poorly written. It sounds like you're desperate to sell, which can be construed as trying to unload a problematic vehicle. Whether this is the case or not, take your time and expound on how great the car is, accentuating it's cleanliness, problem-free status and how many compliments you get on the color.

2. Provide many, detailed pictures. Don't make a potential buyer beg for pix. Put them up there for all to see. Someone may not go out of their way to request pix because they're turned off by the description. Putting pix right in front of their noses will give them 90% of the info they may be looking for. The pix you have in your Profile are minimal: you have one exterior, one interior and one engine shot. You need a lot more, again accentuating the cleanliness and or/special touches you've added to the car.

3. List the car for sale in as many places as you can find. I found my FG on Craigslist. You can even try ebay if it comes down to that. Even if it doesn't sell there, at least you've exposed the car to many more potential buyers.

Your asking price is reasonable, so that probably isn't the problem here.
In a nutshell, you've managed to say you're selling your car, but have put the least amount of effort into doing so. The color you have is attractive to some because it is so rare, but by the same token, they didn't sell many at the time because it wasn't a popular color back in '97. It'll take a "special" buyer for your car, so you'll need to be patient until that buyer comes along. Maximizing your exposure will certainly help.

Good luck with your sale.

Remeber this is a tough economy to sell a luxury item like a Vette so do what you have to to make your Corvette stand out from the others for sale, and there are a lot of C5's for sale. Listen to c5vetteguy's advise and be patient, it will eventually sell. Good luck bro!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:15 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

By the very words in your title of this thread, my Rare Fairway Green Corvette, you imply that the biggest selling point of this car is the color.

You'll get more responses by emphasizing "female owned."

Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulling no punches and just cold hard facts IMO.
Negatives to me about the car.
1-Year
2-color (rarity means nothing if it isn't desirable)
3-mileage
4-cheasy mods
5-price too high

Last edited by garage-ghost; 09-17-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: corrected poor grammar.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Originally Posted by garage-ghost
Pulling no punches and just cold hard facts IMO.
Negatives to me about the car.
1-Year
2-color (rarity means nothing if it isn't desirable)
3-mileage
4-cheasy mods
5-price too high
Main reason. Also corrected poor grammar.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

As an EX car dealer here in AZ. what I've read on the other post is spot on. Sorry, most people looking for a nice Corvette want a 6 speed, not all, but most. In a C5, everything bad, except for price is written on pre-2000 models. Your price is about $3K to high if you really want to sell it. Last but not least, as a dealer I never bought green cars for re-sale. I love the dark green colors but not on the Vette. Number one color in AZ. for a Corvette is Silver. Number one selling car color on all the other cars in AZ. is White. Lower your price and get word out everywhere you can. It's a Corvette, someone wants it.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Phace
Advanced

If you're using the language, you ought to use it properly.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Phace
If you're using the language, you ought to use it properly.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

A lot of good advice here, make sure you write a clear add, grammar is important (if the guy can't write a sentence, how well can he maintain an older sports car?) and GOOD photos. Composition is key, get down on your knees or stomach when taking these pics, no one wants to see "unflattering" pics of the car. Oh, and for god's sake, get the whole car in the picture...don't clip off the nose or rear when taking a full car shot, unless your showing something like a close up, etc. Also, as mentioned above, include pics in the add! As many as possible, if you don't know how to post pics, 5 min on google and a 10 year old can figure it out. For public posting, I use imageshack.us, they are very easy and forum friendly, just copy/paste their link on the forum and the pic will appear.
I sold my 1997 C5, torch red 6 spd with 98k on the clock (original brakes and clutch still) and got $15k, that was not even a year ago. Put the add on auto trader.com and get the "runs til it sells" add. Google for coupons and you will also save $10-$20 on the add (I just did his with a mustang I sold).
Good luck!

Last edited by red97vette; 09-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is my Rare Fairway green corvette not selling

Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

if trade in is 14k and you're asking 15k, just go sell it to carmax or something and lose the headache!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Many above suggest lots of pictures. I agree. But please don't pad your ad with photos of the seat belt pulley, the inside mirror, the glove box lid - I could go on. In fact, I will - the turn signal column, a retracted headlight, a speaker, the door handle, the deck latch ... you get the idea.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 AM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
how long have you owned this car?
maybe its because you don't respond to questions?????

Quick Reply: Why is my Rare Fairway green corvette not selling