Clutch Pedal Spring Removal Debate

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Clutch Pedal Spring Removal Debate

My clutch pedal spring broke a few months ago.
I really like the feel of the pedal without the spring.
I know there has been much debate/opinions in the past about whether or not the clutch can be damaged without the spring.
I would like to hear results from owners that have put many miles on their Vettes with the spring removed.
Approximate miles on vehicle without clutch pedal spring, and whether or not clutch damage occured.
Thanks,
Silverbird
Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbird
My clutch pedal spring broke a few months ago.
I really like the feel of the pedal without the spring.
I know there has been much debate/opinions in the past about whether or not the clutch can be damaged without the spring.
I would like to hear results from owners that have put many miles on their Vettes with the spring removed.
Approximate miles on vehicle without clutch pedal spring, and whether or not clutch damage occured.
Thanks,
Silverbird
Well since the "damage" would likely come in the form of premature clutch wear and the life of a clutch is highly dependent on several variables including: clutch type, driver skill, driving style, fluid change interval etc. I'm not sure how much help responses on this will be.

My clutch spring broke and I ran without it for about 10K miles until I read Eric D's post about the "other" functions of the assist spring and then promptly installed a new one. My clutch is still going strong, but Eric is a GM engineer and I figure he knows a lot more about this car than I do...

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Spring Removal Debate