Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6.R @ ALMS with paddle shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You lose power with a standard stall-based transmission. The point of a dual clutch transmission is to have the fastest shifts with the least amount of power lost to the wheels. Even with a full lock up converter, you're still losing power and efficiency. This is why a lot of manufacturers are switching to the DSG and DCT transmissions. Even in economy cars like the Smart Car, because efficiency means you save in economy.

A DSG and DCT transmission is your best bet for a proper track worthy transmission. I just don't think you're going to see them in street cars until they get the street manners down to a science. And just as TR6speed said, since they're working on a system that works for the race team, it will be years before you see it in a production Corvette. That may be in time for the 2nd or 3rd year C7. It's not like GM hasn't changed the transmissions after the first year before. LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
The Z06 and ZR1 are high performance vehicles only hence the reason for only a manual transmission option.
A twin-clutch is a high performance transmission. Higher performance than a standard manual. If you go buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini, a manual transmission is no longer even offered. These are the future of performance cars, the manual transmission is a dinosaur these days.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
A twin-clutch is a high performance transmission. Higher performance than a standard manual. If you go buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini, a manual transmission is no longer even offered. These are the future of performance cars, the manual transmission is a dinosaur these days.
I meant in rearguards to why the Z06's and ZR1's don't have A6's. Not in comparison to dual clutch automatics
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Brizzok84
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z06 and ZR1 are high performance vehicles only hence the reason for only a manual transmission option.
I agree with your statement but most of the other auto manufacture are putting DSG in their best cars. Take for example the new lamborghini aventador only comes with DSG. I would say I do like a manual car but the new DSG transmission are amazing.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brizzok84
I agree with your statement but most of the other auto manufacture are putting DSG in their best cars. Take for example the new lamborghini aventador only comes with DSG. I would say I do like a manual car but the new DSG transmission are amazing.

As I said before Lamborghini and Ferrari do not sell ANY car with a manual transmission any more. Not an option.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 214 Posts

I would rather have a sequential shifter. Now that is cool.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Brizzok84

Yes that is true. But to keep cost down on the vette IMO you gotta start somewhere you know? Who's to say the C7 won't have this ya know? They just might(It would be a wise move)

As I said before Lamborghini and Ferrari do not sell ANY car with a manual transmission any more. Not an option.
This is true, but look at the prices. Its not really apples to apples.

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I would rather have a sequential shifter. Now that is cool.
yes I would take that for an option for the C5. If it was around 5k I'd do it. But 10k-20k I can't even justify that
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Yes that is true. But to keep cost down on the vette IMO you gotta start somewhere you know? Who's to say the C7 won't have this ya know? They just might(It would be a wise move)

This is true, but look at the prices. Its not really apples to apples.

yes I would take that for an option for the C5. If it was around 5k I'd do it. But 10k-20k I can't even justify that
Considering Fiat is going to be putting a 7-spd twin clutch in the Fiat 500 (next year?), I think Chevrolet can probably afford to develop one for the Vette. I mean seriously, if a micro car can get one, how about a performance car like the Vette?

Or you could look at a car like the Mitsubishi EVO that comes with one depending on the trim level. That is a much less expensive car than the Vette and it comes with one.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Considering Fiat is going to be putting a 7-spd twin clutch in the Fiat 500 (next year?), I think Chevrolet can probably afford to develop one for the Vette. I mean seriously, if a micro car can get one, how about a performance car like the Vette?

Or you could look at a car like the Mitsubishi EVO that comes with one depending on the trim level. That is a much less expensive car than the Vette and it comes with one.
You know FIAT owns Ferrari right? For a company to have that financial ability, it's IMO a little hard to make an accurate assumption in comparison to GM who has gone through bankruptcy. I'm not saying I wish it doesn't happen or that it never will.

And with the statement about the EVO, hell my sisters celica use to have paddle shifters, doesn't mean the shift time is below 100 milliseconds like Ferrari. GM already has put in paddles, now they just have to perfect it.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

You know FIAT owns Ferrari right? For a company to have that financial ability, it's IMO a little hard to make an accurate assumption in comparison to GM who has gone through bankruptcy. I'm not saying I wish it doesn't happen or that it never will.

And with the statement about the EVO, hell my sisters celica use to have paddle shifters, doesn't mean the shift time is below 100 milliseconds like Ferrari. GM already has put in paddles, now they just have to perfect it.
Sure Fiat owns Ferrari, does that make you think they are putting the $20K+ transmission into the Fiat 500?!? As for the Mitsubishi EVO, their transmission is made by Getrag (who also makes a twin clutch for Mercedes). Guess who makes the rear end in the Corvette?

And paddle shifters doesn't mean it has a twin clutch. The EVO has a true twin clutch with nearly instantaneous shifts. If you want to know how it works, go here: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...008/20e_06.pdf
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Sure Fiat owns Ferrari, does that make you think they are putting the $20K+ transmission into the Fiat 500?!? As for the Mitsubishi EVO, their transmission is made by Getrag (who also makes a twin clutch for Mercedes). Guess who makes the rear end in the Corvette?

And paddle shifters doesn't mean it has a twin clutch. The EVO has a true twin clutch with nearly instantaneous shifts. If you want to know how it works, go here: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...008/20e_06.pdf
I know they wouldn't do that for the 500 lol

And Getrag does the rear I know

I'm unfamiliar with the EVO but either or, it'll be nice to hopefully have this available for the C7 or a way to retrofit it to a C5

Quick Reply: Corvette C6.R @ ALMS with paddle shifter