C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worn key fob...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I don't think the worn off letters would bother me at all.
That's what I thought...until I started hitting the wrong buttons to lock or unlock the car...then you have no idea what you just did.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mr Bill,lol
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
LOL, It is the alarm remote for your keys.

A fob is an object used to make manual access easier. It may refer to:
  • Fob pocket, a small pocket in trousers or waistcoats originally intended to hold a pocket watch
  • Key fob, a medallion used to identify a key ring, or position on the ring
  • Watch fob, a medallion or ornament attached to a pocket watch to assist in handling
Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It's sorta like hadacall. They hadacall it something. Doesn't stand for anything, I think it comes from the old days when a watch fob held your watch or keys.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
BINGO!!! It takes a fellow Engineer to understand!
I contacted a Fob manufacturer this morning... they do sell just the case and the pad for 2001 and up... I am having him look into just the pads for all the C5 both first and second generation... there are about 500,000 fobs floating around out there for C5's in both first and second generation ( two fobs per car... I told him of the potential in marketing this because they already have the pads for these fobs and there is no need to purchase new molds for an existing part number.. its just a matter of marketing... I know the cost to manufacture is less than a dollar.. I can see them marketing two pads for 19.95... ( ten bucks a piece might get their interest, and i know everyone has a spare 20 bucks lying around... BTW , the manufacturer I contacted is a sponsor of this forum. He said he would get back to me....we will see
https://www.ikeyless.com
Bill aka Et

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 11-04-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I contacted a Fob manufacturer this morning... they do sell just the case and the pad for 2001 and up... I am having him look into just the pads for all the C5 both first and second generation... there are about 500,000 fobs floating around out there for C5's in both first and second generation ( two fobs per car... I told him of the potential in marketing this because they already have the pads for these fobs and there is no need to purchase new molds for an existing part number.. its just a matter of marketing... I know the cost to manufacture is less than a dollar.. I can see them marketing two pads for 19.95... ( ten bucks a piece might get their interest, and i know everyone has a spare 20 bucks lying around... BTW , the manufacturer I contacted is a sponsor of this forum. He said he would get back to me....we will see
Bill aka Et
good work Bill....the panic button being red is no problem even if worn out, but the hatch release and lock/unlock buttons are the ones we all will need some day. My 97 is so old my fobs have way more wear than most owners, so it stands to reason it is inevitable for others. In summary, I need only the 3 gray buttons...if they offer a complete set of 4 for the early models that would be great....I would pay $10/set....there would be high profits in it for them at that price (as we both know the markups on automotive parts). Please keep us posted on any success...uda man!

Jerry
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Baibaikin
Instructor

Originally Posted by SueTaing
me...

There are many of those in BMW forums.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

good work Bill....the panic button being red is no problem even if worn out, but the hatch release and lock/unlock buttons are the ones we all will need some day. My 97 is so old my fobs have way more wear than most owners, so it stands to reason it is inevitable for others. In summary, I need only the 3 gray buttons...if they offer a complete set of 4 for the early models that would be great....I would pay $10/set....there would be high profits in it for them at that price (as we both know the markups on automotive parts). Please keep us posted on any success...uda man!

Jerry
I believe the rubber touch pad is one piece... and by the looks of it, it may be the exact same configuration for bothe the 1st geeration and the second generation.. The passive switch on the first gen, does not have anything to do with the touch pad, the actual orientation within the case looks to be the same... Chris told me they sell just the case and the touch pad, but I could not find it on their website anywhere.. When I have more time I will follow up... being retired is hard work..., wildlife photography, corvette forum, photgraphic forum and club, gym 6 days a week, Gun club and shooting competitions, grand kids, kids and a wife.... 44 years of wedded bliss.
I need more hours in the day and more days in the week.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

My brand new 2000 fob's rubber touch pad fits my old 98-99 Fob just fine
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

That's what I thought...until I started hitting the wrong buttons to lock or unlock the car...then you have no idea what you just did.
It's easy "L" is for lock and left. Left button = lock. That's how I know when it's dark and I can't see the buttons
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,300 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
My brand new 2000 fob's rubber touch pad fits my old 98-99 Fob just fine
It should, the 2000 fob is just a 97-99 fob without the passive switch and it will program to the earlier years just fine.

Quick Reply: worn key fob...any ideas?