Sponsored by:

Ethanol content vs. Octane

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ethanol content vs. Octane

Here goes yet another of my beginner questions... thanks for your patience... I'm learning quickly (and enjoying it to no end)...

I was reading the list of ethanol free gas stations found at pure-gas.org. I understand that ethanol can be damaging in some cases, but is it a big deal with C5's? Is there any maintenance or durability concern? Is there any performance concern? I assume that the normal ethanol content must not be a concern in our cars, otherwise many of you would prefer gas without ethanol to that of say Shell 93 octane which typically has the legal limit of ethanol.

Thanks gang - I appreciate the help (and free education )
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Anybody? Perhaps this question is totally stupid...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Ethanol was added to gas to help reduce emmissions. There is less energy in an equivalent amount of ethanol than gas, so some get worried.

However, IMHO, you are way over analyzing this. You're not going to feel much difference, if any. Ethanol enriched gas won't hurt our engines at all. I wouldn't go putting E85 in the tank anytime soon (85% Ethanol), but otherwise you're good to go.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Ethanol was added to gas to help reduce emmissions. There is less energy in an equivalent amount of ethanol than gas, so some get worried.

However, IMHO, you are way over analyzing this. You're not going to feel much difference, if any. Ethanol enriched gas won't hurt our engines at all. I wouldn't go putting E85 in the tank anytime soon (85% Ethanol), but otherwise you're good to go.
Thanks a bunch! Makes perfect sense. I wasn't over analyzing as much as I just wanted to understand because I am basically a beginner in this whole game - but I am loving all the knowledge I'm gaining! Thanks again
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Stay awy from that **** if at all possible. It attracts moisture and has ruined more things on a car than any good that ever came from it. I guarantee it hurts our sending units.

It totally destroys small engines. We have a state mandate that requires it because our gov at the time had family interests in ethanol. Will a vette run on it? yes it will if that's your question but keep a bottle of techron handy.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 01-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Stay awy from that **** if at all possible. It attracts moisture and has ruined more things on a car than any good that ever came from it. I guarantee it hurts our sending units.

It totally destroys small engines. We have a state mandate that requires it because our gov at the time had family interests in ethanol. Will a vette run on it? yes it will if that's your question but keep a bottle of techron handy.
You're referring to E85 I assume? Or, are you saying that you'd get the ethanol free gas at lower octane and add techron instead of buying Shell V Power or Chevron Techron that has the legal limit of ethanol?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ethanol was added to gas to help reduce emmissions. There is less energy in an equivalent amount of ethanol than gas.

The emissions difference between 100% gas and 10% ethanol gas id negated by the loss of efficiency. Ethanol was added to gas though EPA regulation forced on us by politicians who collect greased palms from ethanol producers.

If you take a 100 mile trip in a 100% car and get 30 mpg and the same trip in a 10% car and get 28 mpg,,,,,where is the reduction in emmisions?

You burned more overall fuel, period.

Simple example, the truth is much worse. Taxpayers subsidize ethanol production so the net effect is a total loss and a lie!

The worst part is we are burning food to feel good in a hungry world!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
The emissions difference between 100% gas and 10% ethanol gas id negated by the loss of efficiency. Ethanol was added to gas though EPA regulation forced on us by politicians who collect greased palms from ethanol producers.

If you take a 100 mile trip in a 100% car and get 30 mpg and the same trip in a 10% car and get 28 mpg,,,,,where is the reduction in emmisions?

You burned more overall fuel, period.

Simple example, the truth is much worse. Taxpayers subsidize ethanol production so the net effect is a total loss and a lie!

The worst part is we are burning food to feel good in a hungry world!
So is it mainly an emissions vs efficiency question rather than a durability or performance question?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

However, IMHO, you are way over analyzing this. You're not going to feel much difference, if any.
Oh really? Do some research... A little bit can go a long way when it comes to ethanol in gas.

http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...s/viewall.html
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

ethanol raises octane
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
ethanol raises octane
interesting... i think i am now understanding the relation better, but may have more new questions than before - LOL. All good though - I appreciate the info!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
ethanol raises octane
10% cuts mileage!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,305 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I will not put ethanol in any car much less a Corvette.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 AM
red89c4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can not find a ethanol free station in atlanta. ethanol destroys rubber. carb engines with needles and seats, rubber fuel lines on small engines, outboard marine engines all suffer the effects of ethanol. other than the rubber deteriation i woudnt have aproblem with it for street driving, low rpm and low load on engine. now if i were going to the track for a day of fun i would want my horses to have the best hay around.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Sadly here in Illinois,,,we don't have a choice!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 AM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Originally Posted by itzza427
Sadly here in Illinois,,,we don't have a choice!!
unfortunately here in the houston area i have no choice either.. Fu@%ing government!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Why don't you test the fuel you're buying and see how much ethanol is in there? I tested the fuel at a Shell station I buy my fuel and it is only 5% ethanol. With as little as even 10% ethanol I don't see the big deal running it. I'm not having any problem with KA or timing being pulled and I'm running over 11:1 compression. I have HPTuners and have tuned my engine to the correct stoich value for the fuel I'm using so my fuel trims are very low.

You guys running modded engines on this fuel without a tune are probably leaving lots of hp under the table because your engine is running very rich.

Get notified of new replies

To Ethanol content vs. Octane

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to look up what the Octane rating system really means. The HIGHER the number the harder it is to ignite. That's why higher octane fuels stop pinging. The lower the number the easier it is to ignite so things like preignition and hot carbon on pistons/valves can cause it to ignite too soon. Higher octane number don't mean a lot as far as how much energy/power the fuel can make. An engine that does not ping/preignite the fuel makes more power and keeps the pistons from melting.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
You're referring to E85 I assume? Or, are you saying that you'd get the ethanol free gas at lower octane and add techron instead of buying Shell V Power or Chevron Techron that has the legal limit of ethanol?
No I am saying I would get non ethanol gas, if possible, at the same octane recommended by the manufacturer.

All ethanol does is boost octane so that there is no need to add octane by the suppliers to mix the various grades.

I would use techron if I had no choice but to use ethanol in order to keep the sending unit clean and the fuel delivery system clean and functioning.

Ethanol is great for the green weenies, however they are too stupid to realize it takes more fuel to produce the crap than it delivers, and it's good for the farmers, however it's bad bad bad for the consumer from the fuel to the high prices it creates at the grocery store.

It's bad stuff, stay away from it if at all possible.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Quick Reply: Ethanol content vs. Octane