Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Pissed!!! Noah car cover not water proof, WTH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 87SAM
The covers are said to be water-resistant, not waterproof. A plastic tarp would be waterproof but you would not want that.
Cover is working as it should, has to be breathable.

I have a storm cover and works great because my car has a nice coat of wax on it. After a long rain storm yes I can get mild wet spots here and there. It comes right off with detail spray.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

A tight-fitting, nylon cover would inevitably allow water-related damage to the paint. As was mentioned quite a few times, the cover must breathe and as such cannot be a waterproof barrier. If you want a waterproof barrier that doesn't trap moisture against the paint, construct a tent-like overhead structure that doesn't touch your car.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Andeep
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys just read through the previous reply's and there are some good tips. i had one question which is: it ok to put a dry cover on a wet car? i have no garage but i use an outdoor cover and sometimes when it starts raining when im driving around. i would like to put the cover on when i get home otherwise i know there a few leaks on the t-tops and i end up with some wet carpet!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by Andeep
hi guys just read through the previous reply's and there are some good tips. i had one question which is: it ok to put a dry cover on a wet car? i have no garage but i use an outdoor cover and sometimes when it starts raining when im driving around. i would like to put the cover on when i get home otherwise i know there a few leaks on the t-tops and i end up with some wet carpet!
I wouldn't suggest using it after driving unless you clean it first. You'll do more harm than good.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a cheapy plastic tarp at the home center and put it on top of the one you have.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Get a cheapy plastic tarp at the home center and put it on top of the one you have.
I bought a Coverrite Tybond Cover from PepBoys. Under $100 and 100% water proof. I'm going to use this on top of my Noah cover.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Probably not a good idea. You're defeating the whole purpose of a breathable cover. You'll now be trapping condensation under the tarp, prolonging the drying of the cover and car. Over time the cover will mildew, and until then, you'll have moisture directly on the car's paint for an extended amount of time. This can cause fading and hazing of the paint. You're better off having nothing on your car. At least the water will have a chance to evaporate fairly quickly.

Just stick with the Noah and let it do its thing. I'm on my second one and it works quite well without any additional help.

The tarp routine would only work if you remove it soon after the rain stops.

Last edited by c5vetteguy; 09-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
Probably not a good idea. You're defeating the whole purpose of a breathable cover. You'll now be trapping condensation under the tarp, prolonging the drying of the cover and car. Over time the cover will mildew, and until then, you'll have moisture directly on the car's paint for an extended amount of time. This can cause fading and hazing of the paint. You're better off having nothing on your car. At least the water will have a chance to evaporate fairly quickly.

Just stick with the Noah and let it do its thing. I'm on my second one and it works quite well without any additional help.

The tarp routine would only work if you remove it soon after the rain stops.
When I know rain is coming I pull my cover off of the car. When the rain is done I pull out the detail spray and the microfiber cloth, give it a good cleaning, and put the cover back on. I have a very nice weather resistant Covercraft cover but none of the good ones are completely waterproof because you don't want them to be.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by memmer
stretch it out and spray it with Thompsons water seal.you can use a a lawn sprayer after you clean it up or get a small new one ,they are pretty cheap.We here in Oregon spray our cabin tents this way and they never leak.
Fred
I wouldn't try this. Also, would not try spraying the cover with the waterproofing sprays that are available. I'm sure Thompson's works on a tent as does the waterproof sprays, but you don't know how they will react with the cover or, worse, what effect these solutions will have on the Vette's paint especially when hit with hard rain followed by sunlight. It might work, but if it doesn't and there's a reaction, the correction can be REAL expensive.

Quick Reply: So Pissed!!! Noah car cover not water proof, WTH!