Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Pissed!!! Noah car cover not water proof, WTH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default So Pissed!!! Noah car cover not water proof, WTH!

Bought a Noah storm cover for my Vette cause I keep it outside. Cover was advertised as extreme protection and is supposed to be water proof. Took the cover off today to take the car for a drive and it's wet in spots. Not good to have that moisture sitting there under the cover like that. I had one before for my Mustang vert and never had issues.

Now I need to find a 100% water proof cover. Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm going to keep the Storm cover and use that for the main cover. The water proof one will go on in wet conditions and for over the winter.

And I know some will say put it in a garage but that's not an option. My 09 Z06 has that space right now and I can't fit a lift unfortunately.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 524 Likes on 388 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I'd say just sell the car to make more space! I'll give ya 3 grand for it sight unseen, even with that water damage!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 251 Posts

The covers are said to be water-resistant, not waterproof. A plastic tarp would be waterproof but you would not want that.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i dont think any are 100% i have a 325.00 weathershield covercraft cover, and when it rains long and hard ill still gets some water under it after hours and hours of rain, i just go pull it off and wipe the car down and wish i had a garage, good luck, thank god for white cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by White-C5
i dont think any are 100% i have a 325.00 weathershield covercraft cover, and when it rains long and hard ill still gets some water under it after hours and hours of rain, i just go pull it off and wipe the car down and wish i had a garage, good luck, thank god for white cars.
White is prob the best color to have if the car is kept outside.

I've seen covers advertised as being 100% water proof. I believe, although I could be wrong the Storm cover is supposd to be just that. It's advertised for extreme weather conditions hence the name "Storm".

I'll do some looking around and see if I can find any and post the links here.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want a cover that can breathe some. I don't know why you are freaking out. Just roll the cover off, grab a microfiber towel and some detail spray and spend 2 minutes detailing the car. Your paint will thank you and you car will look much better over time. Experts design high end car cover materials this way for a reason. Noah isn't my favorite, but it is a great car cover material.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Speedjester
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never see a car cover that states water proof. I have a 300+ cover and when it rains hard it gets a little moisture.. Let it sit for a few minutes look again moisture evap,s.. after a while you can actually see the pores on the fabric as they leave marks on a dusty car... If you put a tarp over it no circulation things stay wet for a while and rust or the fiberglass starts to deteriorate..
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Grimlock
You want a cover that can breathe some. I don't know why you are freaking out. Just roll the cover off, grab a microfiber towel and some detail spray and spend 2 minutes detailing the car. Your paint will thank you and you car will look much better over time. Experts design high end car cover materials this way for a reason. Noah isn't my favorite, but it is a great car cover material.
I'm upset because when it lets water under the cover like that it leaves a mark/stain on the paint. Quick detail spray doesn't always do the trick. I didn't realize I would have to do a full detail every time it rains. Plus it can't be good for the paint and that's counter productive to why I got a cover in the first place.

Maybe I just need to get a better cover than the one I currently have.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTJim
I'm upset because when it lets water under the cover like that it leaves a mark/stain on the paint. Quick detail spray doesn't always do the trick. I didn't realize I would have to do a full detail every time it rains. Plus it can't be good for the paint and that's counter productive to why I got a cover in the first place.

Maybe I just need to get a better cover than the one I currently have.
How long have you owned this cover? Is the cover dirty? Does the car have a good coating of wax? Is the car 100% clean when you put the cover on?

I've used car covers for close to 20 years (including Noah) and if they are dirty, the will leave some dark water spots after it rains. This is the dust in the cover going through the material with the water. As long as you remove the cover carefully (roll it, don't drag it) you can then remove the cover with no damage to the paint. Then I just use detail spray and a microfiber towel to remove the spots. Then I usually go and wash the cover in my bathtub to make the spots less of an issue the next time.

Car covers add work to owning a car. Not only do you need to remove it, and cover it....but you must make sure the cover is clean, the car is clean etc. Otherwise the cover is just going to damage the paint over time. They definitely aren't for everyone.

I am currently using a California Car Cover Company Ultraweave cover on my Z06. It works great from my California climate, but it also can leave those dark water spots.
The following users liked this post:
Lmcptman@gmail.com (04-03-2021)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Wickd1
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

which Noah do you have? dont they have different ones?the cover i have beads water, i can literately blow the water off of the cover,but itll still lets some under if its a hard enough rain,Its just the way it is Jim,you are gonna have to learn to work with it.i know it frustrating... But if you have a high end cover ,it shouldn't let much water under it at all.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM
krm_wi_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a "waterproof" cover several years ago. It did not breathe and I would get an oily film on the car from the fumes that come off the car. I currently have a Noah that I use only during storage, works well for me.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the seams to make sure that they are sealed. Go to an outdoor shop like REI or EMS and buy some seam sealer and reseal the seams. See if that works for ya.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

How long have you owned this cover? Is the cover dirty? Does the car have a good coating of wax? Is the car 100% clean when you put the cover on?

I've used car covers for close to 20 years (including Noah) and if they are dirty, the will leave some dark water spots after it rains. This is the dust in the cover going through the material with the water. As long as you remove the cover carefully (roll it, don't drag it) you can then remove the cover with no damage to the paint. Then I just use detail spray and a microfiber towel to remove the spots. Then I usually go and wash the cover in my bathtub to make the spots less of an issue the next time.

Car covers add work to owning a car. Not only do you need to remove it, and cover it....but you must make sure the cover is clean, the car is clean etc. Otherwise the cover is just going to damage the paint over time. They definitely aren't for everyone.

I am currently using a California Car Cover Company Ultraweave cover on my Z06. It works great from my California climate, but it also can leave those dark water spots.
Car is always clean before I put the cover on. I know to NEVER put a cover on a dirty car. Cover is also clean. Water only gets under it in hard rain storms. Light rain doesn't seem to get through.

This is the cover I have: http://www.southerncarparts.com/noah...er-p-3911.html

The water proof cover would only be used when weather comditions require it. Other wise I'd keep it off and use the Noah cover.

I just need to hit the lottery so I can build another garage.

Last edited by GTJim; 08-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTJim
Car is always clean before I put the cover on. I know to NEVER put a cover on a dirty car. Cover is also clean. Water only gets under it in hard rain storms. Light rain doesn't seem to get through.

The water proof cover would only be used when weather comditions require it. Other wise I'd keep it off and use the Noah cover.

I just need to hit the lottery so I can build another garage.
Honestly, it sounds like the cover is working as it should. I would recommend that you wash the cover out with a little Simple Green and rinse it out well.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Honestly, it sounds like the cover is working as it should. I would recommend that you wash the cover out with a little Simple Green and rinse it out well.
I'll have to give that a shot.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Your cover is working fine. Wait awhile. As it gets older it let's more water through. I've had a Noah, it was a good cover. The one I'm using now didn't make it 2 years. Gave up on the covers and spent a couple hundred grand on a house with a 2 car garage, problem solved.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,601 Likes on 680 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

All covers are meant to "breathe" therefore not being completely waterproof. There is a waterproof spray made for convertible tops called "Ragtop". You could try that and the cover will be more water resistent. I've used this spray on my convertible top and on my car cover and it works VERY well.

Get notified of new replies

To So Pissed!!! Noah car cover not water proof, WTH!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Whatever crap that was on the car came off with a good washing. I'm just going to get a second water proof cover and throw that on before we get any heavy rain. I'll take it off once the weather clears.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 225 Likes on 91 Posts

I've had good luck with California Car Cover products.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

stretch it out and spray it with Thompsons water seal.you can use a a lawn sprayer after you clean it up or get a small new one ,they are pretty cheap.We here in Oregon spray our cabin tents this way and they never leak.
Fred

Quick Reply: So Pissed!!! Noah car cover not water proof, WTH!