Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED reverse lights dim (All gears)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 632 Likes on 347 Posts

Default LED reverse lights dim (All gears)

I've seen a few instances of this happening before, but don't recall if anyone has actually found the solution to this problem:

Customer has LED reverse lights that are lit dim in all gears, but come on full-power in reverse.

Personally, I think it has to do with the reverse switch, but I can't verify. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:00 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,376 Likes on 1,732 Posts

i had that issue before.

what i found is that while a stock fillament bulb won't have that problem, the LED lights will draw power and be dimly lit even when "off".

i went to my local pep boys and added a sealed fillament bulb similar to this:

I wired the sealed bulb inline using the reverse light wiring. i then tucked it away in the rear bumper area when i installed my custom LED reverse lights.

the inline filament bulb will prevent the LED bulbs from turning on when they are supposed to be off.

now the LED reverse lights only turn on when reverse is activated.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:38 AM
nhra-trans-am
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem in my 99
Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 424 Posts

Mine had the same issue also.After a lot of checking I found that one of the contacts on the bulb wasn't getting a proper connection.Took a small file and smoothed the contacts until they were even with each other and reinstalled the bulb.No problems since!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I had the same issue 99 coupe. My solution? Paid the bulbs forward last Christmas in the annual pay it forward thread.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts

I have LED taillights, backup lights (from RadioFlyer), ten - 2-ft & 3 ft LED Oznium strips, 5 interior LED single bulbs, LED hood light array, Muth LED signal mirrors, LED arrays in rearview mirror and a by-pass harness.

The only one that stays on dim is the hood light? It is also starting to blow out LEDs in the array. I have seen others report the same issue with hood light LEDs.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jamieo
Mine had the same issue also.After a lot of checking I found that one of the contacts on the bulb wasn't getting a proper connection.Took a small file and smoothed the contacts until they were even with each other and reinstalled the bulb.No problems since!
Hmm good idea.

Originally Posted by Choreo
I have LED taillights, backup lights (from RadioFlyer), ten - 2-ft & 3 ft LED Oznium strips, 5 interior LED single bulbs, LED hood light array, Muth LED signal mirrors, LED arrays in rearview mirror and a by-pass harness.

The only one that stays on dim is the hood light? It is also starting to blow out LEDs in the array. I have seen others report the same issue with hood light LEDs.
The hood light is the only one that seems to do this on every car I've tested.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM
nickwfd92
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

George,
I thought you told me a while ago to put a resister inline with the reverse lights. I did the regular bulb thing too, but I just removed the bulbs all together and just use a normal 1157.
Good luck
Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by nickwfd92
George,
I thought you told me a while ago to put a resister inline with the reverse lights. I did the regular bulb thing too, but I just removed the bulbs all together and just use a normal 1157.
Good luck
that will work, but I'm still curious why the reverse light issue has occurred on only 2 cars with the 20w LED bulbs.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
St. Jude Donor '13

There was a thread on this issue a couple years back, I hope it wasn't in an LED thread, but anyways if I recall there is minimal voltage in both the underwood light and the back up lights. I'm at work and can't search for it. I also don't recall there being a solution other than adding a resistor or extra bulb inline. Both unacceptable solutions to me.

It is a common problem.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
There was a thread on this issue a couple years back, I hope it wasn't in an LED thread, but anyways if I recall there is minimal voltage in both the underwood light and the back up lights. I'm at work and can't search for it. I also don't recall there being a solution other than adding a resistor or extra bulb inline. Both unacceptable solutions to me.

It is a common problem.
Agreed. I feel this is a band-aid fix.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

No clue why it happens. My 99 didn't do it, but several customers over the years reported the problem.

Load resistors are fine for the rear. Most people don't stay in reverse long enough for them to even get hot.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

I had the same issue 99 coupe. My solution? Paid the bulbs forward last Christmas in the annual pay it forward thread.
Pretty sure they are the ones I got on here!!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:38 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,376 Likes on 1,732 Posts

It is a common problem.

When you come up with the "acceptable" be sure to let us know.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
No clue why it happens. My 99 didn't do it, but several customers over the years reported the problem.

Load resistors are fine for the rear. Most people don't stay in reverse long enough for them to even get hot.
I agree with that, but even I don't want to start cutting the factory wiring. Plug n play would be ok.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jamieo
Pretty sure they are the ones I got on here!!
jamieo
CF Senior Member

Garage is empty, add now

My Corvette Photos
Default leds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camjamsdad View Post
After digging around I found a pair of rear led back up light bulbs I can offer up. I have a pile of stock parts, but so does everybody else. I'll see what else I can find.

Happy New Year
I need to replace one of mine and could use the led lights if they are still available.Will gladly pay shipping!

It sure was you. I have to ask, Did they work for you? I paid a vendor here $55. for the pair I believe. I knew when I bought them there was a potential of experiencing the dim effect so I don't blame the vendor. I have all LEDs except the back ups and since The Radioflyer is on it maybe the problem will be resolved.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

They work fine after I fixed the issue I described in post #4.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Vato
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine do it when the lights are on. Just a dim glow on the rear. But when in reverse, BOOM! Full light. Kind of dig it that its on....
Old 11-01-2017, 10:43 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Hate to bring back an old thread, but is there an updated product that fixes this? I'm about to go back to a halogen bulb because I don't want to splice one in addition to the LED's. I'm seeing a lot of different vendors for reverse LED's, and I want to make sure I get some that won't have this issue where they remain dim all the time.

Any suggestions?

Get notified of new replies

To LED reverse lights dim (All gears)

Quick Reply: LED reverse lights dim (All gears)