Sponsored by:

Trunk lid liner falling off

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 AM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trunk lid liner falling off

I have the solid 1 piece trunk lid liner that is held in place with velcro. The problem I'm having is that every 2-3 weeks I find it has fallen off and is laying face down in the trunk.
The velcro on both the liner and trunk lid seem fine so I'm not sure that replacing the velcro will correct the problem. I would be interested in hearing if others have experienced this problem and what, if anything, you have done to alleviate it.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:27 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,064 Likes on 806 Posts

Add more Velcro?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Pic would be good
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

I've got the 3 piece liner set & have not had any issues. Suggest you add double sided tape along w/your current Velcro. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

yes... mine got loose everytime too regardless of Glue type....

Drill small holes for rivets or for those black plastic barbed push pins you can get at auto part stores....

Just make sure you mark the drill bit so you don't penetrate thru the actual exterior body panel. You just want to drill thru the liner and the raised reinforced zones behind it.

I was able to use short self tapping screws that had built in metal washer-type heads on them. I think I used 4. It is a permanent solution.

One again, make sure you don't drill or screw deep enough to go thru the deck lid. It's probably only 1/4" thick!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 467 Likes on 375 Posts

Had same problem but crappy cardboard backing was warped as well so
.... I peeled the carpet off the crappy cardboard back
went to Lowes and bought =
Lauan Plywood (Common: 3/16-in x 2-ft x 4-ft; Actual: 0.204-in x 24-in x 48-in) Item #: 5202 | Model #: 1507104

Then used the old piece of crappy cardboard as a template and cut a nice new stiff, piece of plywood....

I used black silicone and stuck some braces I cut out of pine.....let these dry for 24hours coat the whole bottom of the board
1" x 5/8" x 6" .....some were shorter as you can see in the pic...

FYI... I did not use the gorilla snot to glue ....... or rivet the velcro to the rib.....previous owner did that as a failed attempt to keep the cover in place........

I stuck and stapled the velcro to the plywood......then stuck the other part of the velcro to the velcro with the sticky side out so it would stick to the board when I gently pressed it in to place (so I would know where they needed to go to match up)

then stapled them on the board...

I also used some screws to secure the top even better.........make sure screws hit the board and are not long enough to go thru and poke the deck lid.........

then used some plastic covers for the screws.......

Finished product is solid, straight, secure,won't warp and looks factory...

I may add two screws at the bottom as well.......if someone drops the trunk lid the bottom still comes loose from the jar of being dropped.....that will stop that, if i don't catch whoever is dropping the trunk lid first......argh

Last edited by 73Corvette; 10-14-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 467 Likes on 375 Posts

Was a bit of work..no big deal kinda enjoyed it.......wasn't able to use the piece of $h*@ that the carpet was on.. was too warped......if mine were able to fixed with the original piece probably would have done it with the plastic rivets....
Old 10-14-2014, 02:45 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Home Depot has an industrial strength velcro that works great.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 PM
ironranger
Racer

Originally Posted by c6miller
Home Depot has an industrial strength velcro that works great.
I've seen the velcro at Home Depot which runs around $30 for a roll of the width I would need.
How & where did you apply the velcro and have you had problems with it falling off.
I think this is the route I will try first and consider the rivits if it doesn't work, however I am worried with drilling holes into the trunk lid!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

drill some holes pop in the plastic disc anchors ( not sure of the exact name but can be found at all auto parts stores) and your good to go

If you have a drill that has a depth stop use it you don't want to drill all the way through you deck
Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ironranger
I've seen the velcro at Home Depot which runs around $30 for a roll of the width I would need.
How & where did you apply the velcro and have you had problems with it falling off.
I think this is the route I will try first and consider the rivits if it doesn't work, however I am worried with drilling holes into the trunk lid!
I applied a few inches of the heavy duty velcro to all the areas where the liner contacts the trunk. I found a small industrial Velcro kit at HD for around $12 . It's been on for well over a year and no issues. I'd rather do that than drill holes and risk screwing it up.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:04 PM
ironranger
Racer

Originally Posted by c6miller
I applied a few inches of the heavy duty velcro to all the areas where the liner contacts the trunk. I found a small industrial Velcro kit at HD for around $12 . It's been on for well over a year and no issues. I'd rather do that than drill holes and risk screwing it up.
Was this a roll of velcro that you purchased at HD, or was it in pre-cut strips?
Did you replace existing velcro or simply add more to contact areas not having velcro?
Old 04-26-2015, 02:55 PM
MYZ061080
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I ended up putting in 4 black plastic rivets to hold mine in place. The Velcro is not capable of holding the weight of the backer material that the covering is glued to. Bumps and heat cause the Velcro to give way. With the 4 rivets in place mine has stayed in place for over 2 years.........

Adding more Velcro did NOT help retain mine.

I'll take a picture and post it shortly.

The plastic rivets are those that Mike Engr describes below. And yes, be very careful drilling into the raised supports.
I love the finished look that you achieved with the use of the plastic rivets. Where did you find them?
Thanks
Old 04-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Does have a very "finished" look. I like it, especially the ones with the plastic rivets.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM
MYZ061080
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Most auto parts stores have them. I believe I got mine at Auto Zone.
I appreciate your help

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk lid liner falling off

Quick Reply: Trunk lid liner falling off