Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Top for Convertible C5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Odd that I've been Hot on this idea for a year or so, and I stumble on this post. . I never ever drive my C5 Vert in the Rain, but I do love the Hardtops, esp on out of town trips - the security of a hardtop and it's quiet inside,,, some days it's nice...

I had factory hardtops on,,, C2's, C3' and C4's. They are nice to have once in a while and the FRC look is fantastic. I have an 04 ZO6 FRC, so I'll go out today and take a closer look, same with my 98 Vert Do a prelim comparison. Photos too.

I'm off to the Junk yard end of next week that has some C5's next week to get a better Handle on a conversion. I've seen the ZO6 FRC roof sections from $300 up. I've already spoke wit hthe owner and he's okay with me wandering in the yard, plus I need a complete C4 dana 44. It's and hour and a half drove, but I just have to go...

The issue I see, and there may be a simple solution, is the C5 folding Tonneau Lid and Waterfall. But I have an idea...

I'll take some photos today for an initial comparison. When I'm at the junk yard there any C5 ZO6 hardtops, and rear shells disassembled, I'll take photo's, lots of photos

RE the Smoothline C5 hard tops. For anyone considering a purchase I recommend a lot of research. I personally spoke with the companies owner and I didn't feel comfortable doing businesses with him at all. Their delivery time is weeks or months and PAY $$$ in advance. The complaints re quality and fitment are numerous. And their in another State.

I'd rather come up with something better and the FRC look,, IMHO.

This is the Look I'd like for my Vert....

Michael....
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Capt Mike:
ArmchairArchitect (06-21-2018), Bruss (02-15-2022)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mike
Odd that I've been Hot on this idea for a year or so, and I stumble on this post. . I never ever drive my C5 Vert in the Rain, but I do love the Hardtops, esp on out of town trips - the security of a hardtop and it's quiet inside,,, some days it's nice...

I had factory hardtops on,,, C2's, C3' and C4's. They are nice to have once in a while and the FRC look is fantastic. I have an 04 ZO6 FRC, so I'll go out today and take a closer look, same with my 98 Vert Do a prelim comparison. Photos too.

I'm off to the Junk yard end of next week that has some C5's next week to get a better Handle on a conversion. I've seen the ZO6 FRC roof sections from $300 up. I've already spoke wit hthe owner and he's okay with me wandering in the yard, plus I need a complete C4 dana 44. It's and hour and a half drove, but I just have to go...

The issue I see, and there may be a simple solution, is the C5 folding Tonneau Lid and Waterfall. But I have an idea...

I'll take some photos today for an initial comparison. When I'm at the junk yard there any C5 ZO6 hardtops, and rear shells disassembled, I'll take photo's, lots of photos

RE the Smoothline C5 hard tops. For anyone considering a purchase I recommend a lot of research. I personally spoke with the companies owner and I didn't feel comfortable doing businesses with him at all. Their delivery time is weeks or months and PAY $$$ in advance. The complaints re quality and fitment are numerous. And their in another State.

I'd rather come up with something better and the FRC look,, IMHO.

This is the Look I'd like for my Vert....

Michael....
You need an extra tonneau cover, the frc top,extra latch assy. from a vert and a good body shop to put it all together. It's been done and you don't loose the soft top, you don't touch it, it stays underneath the new cover, but maybe you have a different idea I want this badly for my vert and I will do it someday.
Hopefully RockyL32 will post some closeup pics of his.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 05-07-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Photos

I just took a look at my Convert, and ZO6 FRC. Here's my thoughts and a few photos, with Nothings dis-assembled.

The deck lid is the same on both cars, and is the partition line the deck lid and convert top or the FRC top.

The Tonneau Covers are different.

The Waterfall must remain, it houses the Latch for the Convert Tonneau cover.

The headliner in the ZO6 covers the area when the front latch reside, See Photo. No I'm not going to dis-assemble the LE Mans ZO6 - sorry.. I have seen photos and the ZO6 FRP top does appear to have the same latch..

Of course, all of the Previous generations the Portable Hardtops sat atop the Tonneua cover with Pins to attach the rear. I never did like the pins in the soft top nor the hardtops, seems that every Vert I've owned eventually I had to repaint the Tonneua cover...

I'm in the mind set that there might be a means to solve this C5 Hardtop, But there seem to be, at this time, five items to solve re such a project.

First, Validate that the Convert top and the ZO6 top, utilize the same latches.

Second, solve the Tonneua fitment issue. Two possible solutions. A) Swap the Tonneua cover every time one installs the ZO6 hardtop on the Car,,,, I'd rather not !! Or B) Mod a ZO6 Tonneua cover that works for either hardtop.

Third, Solve a Profession looking interior side trim to match either, perhaps attach a modified side pannel and attach with Velcro

Forth. A means to utilize the Converts Soft Top Center Latch ( top of the waterfall) for the ZO6 hardtop.

Fifth, Solve the fitment on the ZO6 factory edge that meets the deck lid on the Convert. I have seem the ZO6 weather rubber trim, but this area Cannot leak. And one should be able to slide the hardtop in a snug it against a Seal that does not interfere with the opening of the soft top

That's my take on this project. As I mentioned I'm driving over to a Corvette junk yard to measure and that photos.. Do some Brain work..

I'm willing to spend the time on this project and solve each task at hand easy ones first. I've competed many tasks like this one and I think there's a lot of us thst would enjoy such a feature as a FRC Vert Hardtop.

I see the second task item, the Tonneua cover to be the real work. I might mean if one has a dual purpose Tonneua cover that it would need to be modified to fit both tops - The rear weather stip seal against the the under side of the deck lid might not be that tough

Any other ideas ??

Here's the photos from today. Waterfall, Convert center latch, ZO6 @ deck lid partition, Convert @ deck lid junction, and Convert opening next to door on the drivers side.

Michael....
Attached Images       
Old 05-07-2016, 02:29 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

My trip got extended till tomorrow so I will get pics of whatever you need then. My top is bonded on to a vert tonnough cover. Whith the top all the way down it latches at the windshield header, the tonnough latches into the waterfall, and it bolts to the hinge that the tonnough bolts to. When I put it on I take off the tonnough cover ( remove the 4 bolts from the underside of it) bolt on the hard top close and latch. I have pulled the soft top to see if the stereo sounded better with out it ( it does) but usually it sits in its usual folded position in the car. I did get a sound deadener to separate the trunk from the top storage area to protect the top while its stored from anything I throw in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Stroh (02-16-2022)
Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Originally Posted by RockyL32
My trip got extended till tomorrow so I will get pics of whatever you need then. My top is bonded on to a vert tonnough cover. Whith the top all the way down it latches at the windshield header, the tonnough latches into the waterfall, and it bolts to the hinge that the tonnough bolts to. When I put it on I take off the tonnough cover ( remove the 4 bolts from the underside of it) bolt on the hard top close and latch. I have pulled the soft top to see if the stereo sounded better with out it ( it does) but usually it sits in its usual folded position in the car. I did get a sound deadener to separate the trunk from the top storage area to protect the top while its stored from anything I throw in the trunk.
That is exactly what I was seeing in my Head. All makes sense.

If you have the time I'd like to see photos of the rear @ the deack lid and see how you solved this

Thanks,

Michael....
Old 05-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mike
That is exactly what I was seeing in my Head. All makes sense.

If you have the time I'd like to see photos of the rear @ the deack lid and see how you solved this

Thanks,

Michael....
There are a few more done this way I've seen on Google also, I think this is the most viable way to have a frc/vert.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

George
Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Here are some picks excuse how dirty the car is it rained on it.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 9146
Size:  188.1 KB
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Views: 8970
Size:  188.8 KB

Last edited by RockyL32; 05-10-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Attachment 47980440
Views: 9127
Size:  223.9 KB
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Views: 9030
Size:  222.0 KB
Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Views: 8922
Size:  150.2 KB
Old 05-10-2016, 07:17 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Views: 9135
Size:  206.4 KB
Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 270 Likes on 153 Posts

Great shots and thoughts here guys. I, for one, would love to see more. I'm wondering how easy the cover switch would be and how this top wouldn't require any mods to the original body. The more photos the better. Makes sense about the tonneau cover. I think I need one of these for sure.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stroh
Great shots and thoughts here guys. I, for one, would love to see more. I'm wondering how easy the cover switch would be and how this top wouldn't require any mods to the original body. The more photos the better. Makes sense about the tonneau cover. I think I need one of these for sure.
Two people and about 15 minutes to put the top on and take it off. No modifications are made to the convertible body.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,178 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyL32
That would be mine. Here is a pic from another angle. I do like this top it is like a completely different car when I put it on and then again when I take it off. I am looking into cutting off the front half and installing the rear targa top trim so I can pop off the targa top on those nice days in the middle of the cold spring.Attachment 47978721
I have one, the person said it was factory, looking for offers.... I have the top car purchase fell through...

Last edited by BLUE1972; 06-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Here is a picture of the top, I'll try to take a few over the next dry day...…

yes that is my 1980 Chevy , with 480k + miles. . many great memories .. I'll leave at that...

Last edited by BLUE1972; 06-21-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: hate auto spell

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Top for Convertible C5?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM
wilmobo98
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a hardtop for all the reasons mentioned.. and that it is too hot in texas 90% of the time! S2000 and Miata have multiple carbon top options. I wonder as aftermarket carbon fiber companies expand their portfolio (im looking at you carbon creations), how long until they make us a top! I’d love to do what yall did but have neither the time nor the talent haha. Eventually it may be good to start a convetible owners group so we can advocate for somebody to outdo smoothline!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:19 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

I looking to sell it, as the purchase of the car fell through. he original owner said he used it on a 2004. The date of manufacture does not match what he said, I found the tag in one of the support bars. I have the kit and bag for the tools it came with.. no instructions though.
I know nothing about the top or how to use it, I'm on Long Island, about the middle by RT110.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 258 Likes on 228 Posts

if the shipment date is 91 is this for a C4? those inside back window channels are awfully sharp....don't our windows have more of a radius

Quick Reply: Hard Top for Convertible C5?