Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview mirror/camera screen installed {Pics}

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Bigblue77
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you happen to have any pics of the wire routing, the tap you used on the reverse lights, and I assume you used the wiring harness into the fuse box?

I want to do this on my C6 because it solves two problems (dashcam & backup cam).

Thanks for the thread!

Last edited by Bigblue77; 10-27-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Life’s good C5
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the same set up, where did you pick up switched power and ground at the fuse box? I’m currently using the lighter and have the hardwire cable and want to install it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:59 PM
AtkRWC
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed the Boss BV430RVM mirror/Backup Cam. This is a replacement type mirror, not one that attaches to the existing mirror, but fit the window nub that was already there. Wiring was straight forward. Tapped directly into one of the Backup lamps and power from the Passenger floor/Fuse box. It cam with a camera however I used another one that I had (Crux CUL-03), gonna wire the other for a front cam when I have some down time. Went smooth and while the quality of the pic is not factory, it sure is fine for backing onto a parking space without issues of hitting the curb.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:38 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,377 Likes on 1,732 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigblue77
Do you happen to have any pics of the wire routing, the tap you used on the reverse lights, and I assume you used the wiring harness into the fuse box?

I want to do this on my C6 because it solves two problems (dashcam & backup cam).

Thanks for the thread!
No additional pics, sorry...but it was like I explained above. Pushed the reverse camera wire thru the drivers quarter panel vent in the hatch area.(not sure if the C6 uses the same setup as the C5)

I just stripped the reverse lead and wrapped/electrical taped to the positive reverse light. I hardwired the new mirror to a switched power source at the OEM mirror because our cars are always hot at the cigarette power points and the mirror wouldn't turn off even if the car was off.

HTH, let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Life’s good C5
I have the same set up, where did you pick up switched power and ground at the fuse box? I’m currently using the lighter and have the hardwire cable and want to install it. Thanks in advance.
I had previously installed a different mirror with homelink built in so I already had switched power at the mirror location.

No available pics but here's my old mirror install thread with limited wiring info. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pics-long.html
Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

did you check out the rear camera view from the rear window rather than the licence plate area?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 AM
Life’s good C5
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossdog
did you check out the rear camera view from the rear window rather than the licence plate area?
I tried the look thru the hatch and found with window tint and defrost lines was terrible. The camera needs to be external to work clearly.
The following users liked this post:
Bossdog (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 08:21 AM
JEHunter
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

And the price is about $110 bucks! I'll order one for my daughters 2007 BMW X5. Thanks for the post
Old 10-30-2019, 11:35 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JEHunter
And the price is about $110 bucks! I'll order one for my daughters 2007 BMW X5. Thanks for the post
The mirror kit is actually $89 with the Amazon coupon

Don't forget you will need a micro SD card ~$40 and an optional hardwire kit for around ten bucks.

All in for <$150 for a great rear/reverse/fwd/dashcam system that can work with just about any vehicle
Old 10-31-2019, 03:33 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

From Amazon questions and answers below.

If you hardwire this unit, to what type of fuse do you connect it. An always on fuse? If you do isn't it the same as leaving it plugged in all the tim If you hardwire this unit, to what type of fuse do you connect it. An always on fuse? If you do isn't it the same as leaving it plugged in all the tim
Answer:
Hardwire? It takes 5 volts and your car is 12 volts. So, you'll have to step down the voltage or use the adapter. If connecting to an always-on fuse, don't forget to turn it off because it will drain your battery. I would use a fuse that goes with the ignition.

Is this the correct answer? Does the unit comes with an adapter? How do you step down the voltage? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:51 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6

Is this the correct answer? Does the unit comes with an adapter? How do you step down the voltage? Thanks.

just buy this for the power and you're GTG. i've been using it with no problems whatsoever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXC2329/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXC2329/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
laurent_zo6 (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:24 AM
Bossdog
Racer

So I am assuming that the 12 v to 5v conversion in the original product configuration takes place in the cig lighter plug ? ? and when you cut that off (for a direct hard-wire) , you need to replace that 12v to 5v conversion with the hardware kit?
Is that correct?

its just good to understand what going on.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:33 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

^that is correct.

The original cig adapter is rated as shown but the hardwire kit simply changes it from non-switched (on the C5) to switched wherever you tap into.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:55 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdmvette
just buy this for the power and you're GTG. i've been using it with no problems whatsoever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the answer.
So the hard wire just replaces the cigarette lighter attachment?
Can you keep the unit hooked to an always on fuse or will this discharge the battery after several hours for example. Just wondering since you might want to have video when you're not around the car all the time.
I understand the unit has its own battery. How long will it take video before running out of power if you use it in 3mn segments?
Old 11-01-2019, 02:07 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the answer.
So the hard wire just replaces the cigarette lighter attachment?
Can you keep the unit hooked to an always on fuse or will this discharge the battery after several hours for example. Just wondering since you might want to have video when you're not around the car all the time.
I understand the unit has its own battery. How long will it take video before running out of power if you use it in 3mn segments?
yes the hardwire kit replaces the cig attachment due to the C5 being always "hot".

i think the instructions say that the internal mirror battery is very small and is only used for a brief period after the power is turned off for last second recordings. i don't think the mirror records much of anything by internal battery power only.

its supposed to be able to record as a security method when the gravity sensor or motion sensor is tripped but i am not sure how to set it up that way. i initially had the mirror plugged into the cigarette lighter power point, but the screen was staying on and i was concerned this would kill the battery which is why i bought the hardwire kit for the C5.

as for my other car, (Acura TL) it's cig/power point was switched so i was able to use the cigarette attachment instead of hardwiring it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdmvette:
Bigblue77 (11-01-2019), laurent_zo6 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Bossdog
Racer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OK, I will. What fuse socket did you plug it into?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bossdog
OK, I will. What fuse socket did you plug it into?
i tapped the power into a switched hot wire i had at the rear view mirror.

you may not have that and you'll need to run it down the "A" pillar to the footwell to find your power source.

Get notified of new replies

To Rearview mirror/camera screen installed {Pics}

Old 11-02-2019, 02:40 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

yes the hardwire kit replaces the cig attachment due to the C5 being always "hot".

i think the instructions say that the internal mirror battery is very small and is only used for a brief period after the power is turned off for last second recordings. i don't think the mirror records much of anything by internal battery power only.

its supposed to be able to record as a security method when the gravity sensor or motion sensor is tripped but i am not sure how to set it up that way. i initially had the mirror plugged into the cigarette lighter power point, but the screen was staying on and i was concerned this would kill the battery which is why i bought the hardwire kit for the C5.

as for my other car, (Acura TL) it's cig/power point was switched so i was able to use the cigarette attachment instead of hardwiring it.
Thanks for the answer.
If I kept the unit plugged in to the cigarette lighter attachment or an always on fuse, how long do you think it would take for the battery to be discharged in such a way that the car would not start? Let's say the battery would show 10v. In other word is there a way to calculate how fast a battery would discharge with a constant charge of approximately 5v?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:10 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

i'm not so good at all the maths my man

i'd say if you do get one and keep it plugged in via the hot cigarette adapter, keep one of these in the trunk just in case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTG9PBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTG9PBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i've got this one and should never need to worry about needing a jump
laurent_zo6 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 05:11 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,679 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Thanks for the answer.
If I kept the unit plugged in to the cigarette lighter attachment or an always on fuse, how long do you think it would take for the battery to be discharged in such a way that the car would not start? Let's say the battery would show 10v. In other word is there a way to calculate how fast a battery would discharge with a constant charge of approximately 5v?
The battery gets drained by amperage, not voltage. I would guess the drainage amps of the unit would be little but our C5 Corvettes are so susceptible of battery voltage I would not have the unit always on. I know some cameras automatically shut off when it detects the car is not moving but will turn on if impacted.
laurent_zo6 (11-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Rearview mirror/camera screen installed {Pics}