C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:17 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ?

Guys, this new section has been very educational for me, and I appreciate whatever input you can provide here. My '01 seems to run fine, although I have little to compare it to insofar as having ridden in or driven comparable cars. I have a Blackwing filter and custom exhaust, otherwise my vette is bone stock. Would I benefit from any of this dyno tuning/LS1 edit programming that is being discussed here?
Old 07-26-2002, 10:26 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (wamara)

Geez, no one has .02 worth he/she wants to say? (This post can't be that bad :D )
Old 07-26-2002, 10:52 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you own a stick or auto?
Old 07-26-2002, 11:22 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (90 droptop)

I'm having mine done next week, and have the same basic mods as you. I do have an Auto and expect some gains in that area as far as firming up the shifts and adding a little more torque. I will post my results next week. Horsepower cost money, you just have to decide how fast you want to go. :cheers:

MRR
Old 07-26-2002, 11:53 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (90 droptop)

90 droptop, sorry I didn't mention that earlier - I have the MN6 manual trannie.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:07 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (MRR2)

MRR2, I would expect your headers would be a significant variable in the tuning question confronting you.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:52 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO!!! dont waist your $$$ even if you have an auto thats pinging its a 50/50 chance and the bet is 500.00,we do partial tunnuing ex: went for 3:73 gears we can change will reprogram you speedo for a few bucks.But unless you do some mods its a waste of $$$ we send 15% home.Intake and headers are borderline and can trick up your F/A mixture I would pay the 75-150.00 to get it right even though 80% of the time the car will Re-Learn and if your lean you will smell it.
So maybe check F/A it can be good fo 7-15 ponies but 8 is more likely than 15 and 8 ponies and better gas mileage for 75-150.00 isnt to bad.
Dont waste your hard earned $$$$.Dave S.
The following users liked this post:
Gianna66 (12-03-2021)
Old 07-27-2002, 11:19 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (davidmax)

we do partial tunnuing ex: went for 3:73 gears we can change will reprogram you speedo for a few bucks.
:eek:

I hope that's either an uncarefully chosen example or VERY cheap.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:22 AM
laramr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (ToplessTexan)

Any other opinions (agree/disagree w David's?) on tuning a basically stock LS1?
Old 08-05-2002, 01:41 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (laramr)

I think it is worth it if you want to do your own tuning via ls1-edit and eventually add more mods. I would not pay someone $500 for it, but if you want to learn and continue to mod the car, it is well worth it.

Your next mod will most likely require it.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:35 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ? (QuickSilver2002)

I did mine and it's stock with cold air and a catback. Picked up 9RWHP/10RWTQ.

As for "relearning" it out, that has to do with how good a tuner you go to and how much of an understanding of LTRIM's they have.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:32 AM
AsphaltCaptain
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wamara
Guys, this new section has been very educational for me, and I appreciate whatever input you can provide here. My '01 seems to run fine, although I have little to compare it to insofar as having ridden in or driven comparable cars. I have a Blackwing filter and custom exhaust, otherwise my vette is bone stock. Would I benefit from any of this dyno tuning/LS1 edit programming that is being discussed here?
Subjectively- Absolutely worth it. Just having the Power Enrichment enabled is worth it. You currently have a 5500 RPM delay to enter PE. If you still have cats (stock right), you are getting the Catalytic Over Temp fuel because it is so lean the ECM is cooling the cats down. But if you command the PE fuel and calibrate it so that Air Fuel Ratio is correct even the COT fuel adder and Open Loop fuel at startup will be on point. The Blackwing changes the airflow and does need MAF re-calibration, will it work without re-calibration yes but then why put it on if not to gain from it? The exhaust changes the VE of the engine too. Street tune to get the MAF and VE tables in line along with Dyno tune OL PE is going to make a safer commanded AFR overall. Lowering the TPS to enter PE and some Spark adjustments will make it more fun to drive day to day not just WOT.
So YES it is going to make a difference but whether that is worth the cost someone charges you is subjective. It cost $299 for HP tuners from Summit Racing and with those mods the only other thing needed would be dyno tuning PE calibration. Dyno should not cost much and you will own the powerful MPVI2+, HP Tuners VCM Editor to adjust the settings and VCM Scanner to log how the car is doing, read/clear DTC codes as a scan tool, and it can be fun to learn about the tuning process. There is other software like you mentioned, LS1 Edit and EFI Live and handhelds too but I prefer HP Tuners for factory re-flashing of ECM.
Cheers.

Last edited by AsphaltCaptain; 07-30-2021 at 10:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AsphaltCaptain:
JamesNC (11-24-2021), KR111 (07-30-2021), Tfnracing (11-29-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 07:02 AM
C4LS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your threads title to me is like reading "any point to buying a C5 Corvette over a C1?". WHAT? If you want more performance, then do it.
And of course you will benefit and get good gains from a tune. There's heaps of stuff to modify/improve. Torque management disable/adjustment, traction control disable/adjustment, burst knock disable/adjustment, fans adjustment, trans shifts, power enrich, a/f ratio, idle, timing................ = better performance, cooling, reliability, fuel consumption...

Get your own tuning tool and do it yourself. It's not that hard and can get help easily on forums. Why give someone say $750 to half-a$$ tune your car (and thrash it on the dyno) when you can spend that $750 on actually buying the tuning hard/software and tune your car(s) yourself as many times as you want for as long as you want?
I love my HP Tuners. EFI Live to me is equivalent to HP Tuners but costs 20% or so more. At least that was the case several years ago.
JamesNC (11-24-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 07:10 AM
C4LS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laramr
Any other opinions (agree/disagree w David's?) on tuning a basically stock LS1?
It's very worth it. Probably more than any other mod when you do it yourself. And the most satisfying and physically easy mod. Improving your car with a press of a button. Unreal.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:37 AM
AsphaltCaptain
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C4LS1
Your threads title to me is like reading "any point to buying a C5 Corvette over a C1?". WHAT? If you want more performance, then do it.
And of course you will benefit and get good gains from a tune. There's heaps of stuff to modify/improve. Torque management disable/adjustment, traction control disable/adjustment, burst knock disable/adjustment, fans adjustment, trans shifts, power enrich, a/f ratio, idle, timing................ = better performance, cooling, reliability, fuel consumption...

Get your own tuning tool and do it yourself. It's not that hard and can get help easily on forums. Why give someone say $750 to half-a$$ tune your car (and thrash it on the dyno) when you can spend that $750 on actually buying the tuning hard/software and tune your car(s) yourself as many times as you want for as long as you want?
I love my HP Tuners. EFI Live to me is equivalent to HP Tuners but costs 20% or so more. At least that was the case several years ago.
I like HP Tuners. After working in OBD1 and hexadecimal trying figure out where and what table I found, having a GUI is so much better. The support is outstanding in my experience.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:15 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 236 Posts

I really hope the OP got his car tuned 19 years ago!
pcastellano28 (09-15-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:12 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 440 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Old 11-24-2021, 10:20 PM
JamesNC
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Yeah, me too, I blew past the dates just reading these posts, I had same question and these last replies were helpful to me - right on time

Get notified of new replies

To Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ?

Quick Reply: Any point to tuning essentially stock LS1 ?