C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some input on my AFR/ TR224 combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:25 AM
msghuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some input on my AFR/ TR224 combo

I tried this once and didnt get much feedback so thought I'd ask again. I currently am running the mods in my signature and am thinking about tweeking it a little more and am looking for outside opinions. The dyno was before I added the TB and pully, here is the link to the graph:http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327577
I do all my own work so I dont mind tearing it apart and actually enjoy it. I am considering the following:

-removing and milling the heads .024
-.040 head gasket
-swaping the TR224/114 out for the AFR 224/228
-ported oil pump
-04 85mm ZO6 MAF

I realize the gains would be small but just really want to have a little more on top and in the mid range and overall just optimizing my setup. Just looking for some opinions/input on my what I plan to do.....
Old 01-09-2006, 06:45 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt
Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Wayne,
TRy mounting your DRs backwards!!!!!!!!!! O that is my secret mod. Durka durka.
Any vids of yesterday??? Thanks brother and here is a bump!
Dave
Old 01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msghuff
I tried this once and didnt get much feedback so thought I'd ask again. I currently am running the mods in my signature and am thinking about tweeking it a little more and am looking for outside opinions. The dyno was before I added the TB and pully, here is the link to the graph:http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327577
I do all my own work so I dont mind tearing it apart and actually enjoy it. I am considering the following:

-removing and milling the heads .024
-.040 head gasket
-swaping the TR224/114 out for the AFR 224/228
-ported oil pump
-04 85mm ZO6 MAF

I realize the gains would be small but just really want to have a little more on top and in the mid range and overall just optimizing my setup. Just looking for some opinions/input on my what I plan to do.....

Seriously, you would be approaching mid 400's to the tires when complimented with the other options mentioned (AFR 224/228 cam, bump in CR, and the larger MAF). Obviously the "economics" of the better intake is a concern, but it is an effective mod on an engine with everything else you have described.

Good luck with your project regardless of what you decide...

Tony M.

PS....The beauty of the gameplan mentioned above is that power will dramatically be improved with no penalty in drivability, low rpm snap, or fuel economy....in fact, all of those will likely be improved!

Last edited by Tony Mamo; 01-09-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
PS....The beauty of the gameplan mentioned above is that power will dramatically be improved with no penalty in drivability, low rpm snap, or fuel economy....in fact, all of those will likely be improved!
I love my setup now. Docile when cruising but becomes a street killer at WOT. When its time for springs change, im milling the heads more to 59cc, and adding a ported TB
Old 01-10-2006, 05:48 AM
msghuff
Pro

Originally Posted by Ikester
I love my setup now. Docile when cruising but becomes a street killer at WOT. When its time for springs change, im milling the heads more to 59cc, and adding a ported TB
Are your heads milled at all now? Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the TR 224/224 CAM with some 98 model ported heads. We aren't making the power we had hoped, and the engine builder, not really an LS1 guy, seemed to think it was the cam. I think it was the over-porting of the heads that killed port velocity. Who knows. I do know that I'm down on power by at least 20HP over other guys with the same combo as me, except using LS6 heads with minor port work. I've got 2.02/ 1.57 valves and upgraded hardware.

On the oil pump issue, we went with the new Melling LS1 hi-volume/ Hi pressure pump. I'd recommend it over the ported LS6 pump. I had one of those and was going to install it untill the Melling unit hit the market. It oulflows the stock unit even when ported.

After reading your list of parts, we're close on what we have in mods, and mine is a 99M6 coupe as well. My cam is the same, I've got LGM LTs with SLP Cats, Bassani X, and Z06 mufflers, the LS6 intake and injectors from a Z06, and a Volant CAI. I'm surprised I'm not making more power, and defenitely surprised you're not.
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 01-10-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 AM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Add a stock (or ported FAST) and either a NW or ported LS2 TB and you will really be styling....

Seriously, you would be approaching mid 400's to the tires when complimented with the other options mentioned (AFR 224/228 cam, bump in CR, and the larger MAF). Obviously the "economics" of the better intake is a concern, but it is an effective mod on an engine with everything else you have described.

Tony M.

I can confirm all the above. In fact, I know I have 10-15 rwhp in there I have yet to get to. Also, BLACKTOP2000 has that exact setup, except an LS2 TB. With a little tweaking on the idle transition the car is really driveable (like stock) and he is at 435rwhp, with a little more still there.

Last edited by ArKay99; 01-10-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:38 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Add a stock (or ported FAST) and either a NW or ported LS2 TB and you will really be styling....

Tony M.

see my sig modeled after Tony's suggestions VERY streetable but has plenty of GO. I'd only consider a NW TB.

Last edited by 99 vett babycar; 01-10-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 PM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chiefDave
Durka durka.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

I'd like to see someone do a 224/228 XER 110 + 0 with some compression. I have had nothing but great success with 110lsa cams. My 230/230 picked up 15rwhp from a 114 LSA and my current 232/238 110 + 0 has been nothing but stellar.
Phil
Old 01-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by msghuff
Are your heads milled at all now? Thanks
Yup, milled .020. When I bought the AFRs, I had no idea what to mill them too so i asked the vendor what the norm was and he said .020 in case i wanted a bigger cam down the road. Then I learned you can mill them safely to 59cc for the best CR. I believe thats .030
Old 01-10-2006, 04:13 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Gunny, you have the same set up as im going to have, and I would have thought for sure you'd break the 400 RWHP line. I was hoping to be between 405 and 410. I was going to use the .051 GM MLS gaskets at be at 10.8:1. I hear about other ( .040) gaskets crapping out, but I havent heard of the GM one failing.

I was thinking of swithcing cams, but im sure 400 RWHP wil be fine for me. If not, a bottle of jucie will fix that
Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
msghuff
Pro

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Gunny, you have the same set up as im going to have, and I would have thought for sure you'd break the 400 RWHP line. I was hoping to be between 405 and 410. I was going to use the .051 GM MLS gaskets at be at 10.8:1. I hear about other ( .040) gaskets crapping out, but I havent heard of the GM one failing.

I was thinking of swithcing cams, but im sure 400 RWHP wil be fine for me. If not, a bottle of jucie will fix that
Yea the 393rwhp was before the TB and pulley and with my 3:90's, I dyno again on Sat for a good comparison and mon or tue I will start tearing it apart. I also have heard of problems with the .040 gaskets leaking/not sealing and for the same reason I didnt install them on the first shot but after reading a billion posts about the importance of proper "squench/squish" (sp?) I will be installing them this time for sure. I really am expecting only a 20hp gain but hopefully it will be across the entire RPM band.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
msghuff
Pro

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I have the TR 224/224 CAM with some 98 model ported heads. We aren't making the power we had hoped, and the engine builder, not really an LS1 guy, seemed to think it was the cam. I think it was the over-porting of the heads that killed port velocity. Who knows. I do know that I'm down on power by at least 20HP over other guys with the same combo as me, except using LS6 heads with minor port work. I've got 2.02/ 1.57 valves and upgraded hardware.

On the oil pump issue, we went with the new Melling LS1 hi-volume/ Hi pressure pump. I'd recommend it over the ported LS6 pump. I had one of those and was going to install it untill the Melling unit hit the market. It oulflows the stock unit even when ported.

After reading your list of parts, we're close on what we have in mods, and mine is a 99M6 coupe as well. My cam is the same, I've got LGM LTs with SLP Cats, Bassani X, and Z06 mufflers, the LS6 intake and injectors from a Z06, and a Volant CAI. I'm surprised I'm not making more power, and defenitely surprised you're not.
Mike
What did you do when you dyno'd? and who sells the melling pumps? -Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

The 3:90s must be why your showing under 400 RWHP. with the 3:42 you'd be over the mark

Get notified of new replies

To Need some input on my AFR/ TR224 combo

Quick Reply: Need some input on my AFR/ TR224 combo