C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my exhaust pop/Backfire?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
Can someone please explain the "Air System" to me?? CAI?

thx
At cold start, a small electric motor by the DS front wheel injects fresh air (drawn from a hose from air filter housing) into exhaust manifolds. Helps with cold start emissions only (gets cats up to temp quicker where they are most effective); once warm the system does not run.
The path...
-Fresh air from air filter housing into air pump
-Single hose from pump gets divided into 2 by steering column
-Hoses feed into exhaust manifolds with one way check valves to ensure no reverse air flow
Earlier renditions of this were a belt driven smog pump that did a similar job.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,588 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by grantv
At cold start, a small electric motor by the DS front wheel injects fresh air (drawn from a hose from air filter housing) into exhaust manifolds. Helps with cold start emissions only (gets cats up to temp quicker where they are most effective); once warm the system does not run.
The path...
-Fresh air from air filter housing into air pump
-Single hose from pump gets divided into 2 by steering column
-Hoses feed into exhaust manifolds with one way check valves to ensure no reverse air flow
Earlier renditions of this were a belt driven smog pump that did a similar job.

The A.I R. System does occasionally run during steady state part throttle conditions. It is commanded on by the PCM to test the A.I.R. System and to see if the O2 sensors and CATs are working properly. When the A.I.R. pump is commanded ON the PCM expects to see the O2 sensor outputs to go lean a specific amount and the after the CAT O2 sensors to stay at a specific reading.

Bill
Old 05-26-2017, 01:12 PM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

On my 2k Trans am I had this issue. AIR was removed (headers and Slp loudmouth) still had the pops. They were not gone until I got it tuned. Once I got it tuned all the pops were gone. I like hearing the pops sometimes.

Quick Reply: Why does my exhaust pop/Backfire?????