C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Twin Disc clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 AM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Spec Twin Disc clutch

My car (04 z06) is in the shop getting the clutch installed, and this part is in the box. Does anyone know what it is, and where it goes? We don't want to progress any further. Sorry for the small pics, all we had was a camera phone. I'll take better pics tomorrow when I go to the shop.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 AM
intoc6s
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instructions say that its a shim used in the F-body cars, not usually needed in the Y-body. -Jason
Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 AM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

U Rock!!!!

Thanks - I'll pass that info on
Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

It's a shim for the slave cylinder.

Read this, and take the measurements.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual...need-shim.html

Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
It's a shim for the slave cylinder.

Read this, and take the measurements.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual...need-shim.html

Wow - excellent info. I'll pass this on. THANKS
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TLOVE, let me know what you did. My Spec 2 install started last night. I had directions and it said the shim was for the F bodies so I wasn't going to install it. Let me know as soon as you guys figure out what your doing.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:30 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spiral04
TLOVE, let me know what you did. My Spec 2 install started last night. I had directions and it said the shim was for the F bodies so I wasn't going to install it. Let me know as soon as you guys figure out what your doing.
I was reading the ls1tech thread, and it appears the SPEC needs the shim. Apparently Jeremy@Spec told Kurtomac that even the spec twin clutch needs the shim/spacer -100%
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/10807309-post49.html
Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
intoc6s
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlove32
I was reading the ls1tech thread, and it appears the SPEC needs the shim. Apparently Jeremy@Spec told Kurtomac that even the spec twin clutch needs the shim/spacer -100%
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/10807309-post49.html
How idiotic is that?? I got the shim with mine too, and it had an instruction sheet that said that only the f bodies needed it.. What will be the symptoms if its not installed and needs to be? Anyone know? Spec needs to explain this Entirely when we buy these clutches!! I paid a hell of alot $$ for mine and ill be mad if it needs to be taken back apart!! -Jason
Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by intoc6s
How idiotic is that?? I got the shim with mine too, and it had an instruction sheet that said that only the f bodies needed it.. What will be the symptoms if its not installed and needs to be? Anyone know? Spec needs to explain this Entirely when we buy these clutches!! I paid a hell of alot $$ for mine and ill be mad if it needs to be taken back apart!! -Jason
Mine is up on the lift apart waiting to find out and of course tech support is only during the week. I am so confused
Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM
intoc6s
Drifting

Mine is up on the lift apart waiting to find out and of course tech support is only during the week. I am so confused
Im gonna call monday and if i need to take mine back apart- Im gonna flip my lid!!!!!! I ve NEVER had anything bad to say about Spec, and had 3 of their clutches so far but- wow!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

GGGGRRREEEEAAAAAAATTTTTT!!! Now your telling me that you've alread installed it without and it seems fine? So now there is definitely no answer. People have both shimmed and not shimmed! What are the symptoms?? Is it OK to install ARP flwheel bolts??

:will y:
Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
intoc6s
Drifting

GGGGRRREEEEAAAAAAATTTTTT!!! Now your telling me that you've alread installed it without and it seems fine? So now there is definitely no answer. People have both shimmed and not shimmed! What are the symptoms?? Is it OK to install ARP flwheel bolts??

:will y:
Well, im trying to figure out the reverse lockout wiring then im gonna take a drive and see how it acts. The last Spec i installed, we didn t put the shim in and it was fine but, i don t know whether they changed anything with their clutches since the last one....Hmmmm...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spiral i thought you had the twin....sorry in the PMs i was under the impression that you had a twin
OK here we go
the stupid sheet that comes with the spec clutches says not used in most vettes....im pretty sure thats a general sheet included in all spec lsx kits
I talked to spec a couple times on this....they said origionally they designed this new twin to not require a shim....there was some inconsistency with this due to people installing specs in the past and using shims so they were using shims....this was causing the slave to preload the clutch and causing premature clutch failure....so they told me they did a slight redesign to where it requires the use of a shim 100% of the time (twin disk that is...i didnt ask about singles) on the C5 vette
heres where **** contradicts this info
PMed ECS...they say no shim on C5s with the twin but I didnt mention what spec had told me about the slight redesign to require a shim
PMed Slowhawk...he said he's only used a shim a hand full of times on C5s with a twin (Slowhawk says the same as Tick Perf...measure to be sure) Slowhawk has also installed quite a few of these
My buddy Blu on here...his car (1999 FRC) is at tick perf finishing up his clutch and header swap...hes using the SS trim twin...Tick measured and guess what...no shim was required...I called Tick and spoke with the installer jonathan...he told me with no shim he had right at .060 clearance which was perfect...no shim required....
Im also installing my PT trim twin this coming thursday...I'll try this measuring thing...if i cant figure it out...I guess im going to not use the shim...this way worst case I'll have high rpm shift issues...if thats the case...I'll use a Tick adj master and hope that gets rid of the issue
now worst case with shim installed...when no shim is required...you might be preloading the clutch causing it to slip under high load and causing premature failure...nobody wants this so....like tick says....measure to be sure
the writeup is in the manual trans section on LS1tech
v/r
Kurt

Last edited by Kurtomac; 02-21-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the response Kurt. And the plot thickens. I'll call SPEC tomorrow to see what they say. My car is all apart, so we're in a holding pattern until we hear from SPEC.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 PM
intoc6s
Drifting

Well,i took mine out for a spin today and i wish i would ve installed it! The clutch is fully released within 1/4 of the pedal being released, and it has to be 100% pushed in to shift it.... Its not undriveable, but.... I ll prob take it back apart and install the shim before too long. That Blows!!- Jason
Old 02-22-2009, 06:54 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well,i took mine out for a spin today and i wish i would ve installed it! The clutch is fully released within 1/4 of the pedal being released, and it has to be 100% pushed in to shift it.... Its not undriveable, but.... I ll prob take it back apart and install the shim before too long. That Blows!!- Jason
If you install the shim then your pedal will engage at the very top of pedal travel or not fully engage.

I did not install my shim and it is grabbing at the top of my pedal travel. It is very hard to drive like that being that you really can't tell when it is going to engage.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

intoc6's which spec clutch are you running...twin or single?

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Twin Disc clutch

Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
intoc6's which spec clutch are you running...twin or single?
Which clutch do you have?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

I spoke with Spec today and they told me 100% to use the shim with the twin discs. I told them the directions in the box said different and they told me those directions are for the single discs. Hope this helps. Now I can try and finish it up. Please post results once you guys get it in and running around town!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

I just talked with Spec. If you have the twin disc, your are suppose to use the shim 100%.

Quick Reply: Spec Twin Disc clutch