C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tinny rattle during WOT from under shifter area. Torque Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Default tinny rattle during WOT from under shifter area. Torque Tube?

Hi guys - new c5 owner here.
At WOT, above 3k RPM's, I hear a sound like a ball bearing being shaken inside a tin can from the driveshaft tunnel. I thought I had loose parts in my center console but nothing was there.
Very weird. its a hollow, tinny sound that isn't constant. Lasts for a second, then I upshift, still at WOT and it happens again in next gear, but again, only for a second.
Is my torque tube gonna explode and injure me?
thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Torque tube radiated noise out the shifter opening is fairly normal, but if you are getting it at WOT at 3000 rpm, that sounds a little excessive to me. How is the vibration level on the shifter when you hear this noise? Has the shifter been replaced? If it has, someone may have left the closeout off.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,045 Likes on 5,389 Posts

The stock shifter usually isolates that noise fairly well. I had a Breathless Performance shifter in my Z and it vibrated so badly at full throttle (from 3K rpm up) that you could hear it over the windnoise from two open windows on my track videos. That is loud.

Bill
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

thanks for the suggestions.
its got a stock shifter.
Did I mention it has a vibration, mostly under WOT while turning on the race track.
I'm thinking it might be those bushings that are on either side of the driveshaft but just a guess so far. I saw some pics on here of mutilated bushings. They are a BMW part or something like that. 10mm or 12 for my 98? I'm setting it up for open tracking; should I use the LG bushing on one side (if that is what we found when we drop the torque tube)?
thanks.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 AM
kj217
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric D
Torque tube radiated noise out the shifter opening is fairly normal, but if you are getting it at WOT at 3000 rpm, that sounds a little excessive to me. How is the vibration level on the shifter when you hear this noise? Has the shifter been replaced? If it has, someone may have left the closeout off.
i have the same issue,, i have replaced the shifter with C6Z shifter,, what is the closeout?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
freeman4ever
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
Hi guys - new c5 owner here.
At WOT, above 3k RPM's, I hear a sound like a ball bearing being shaken inside a tin can from the driveshaft tunnel. I thought I had loose parts in my center console but nothing was there.
Very weird. its a hollow, tinny sound that isn't constant. Lasts for a second, then I upshift, still at WOT and it happens again in next gear, but again, only for a second.
Is my torque tube gonna explode and injure me?
thanks!
I have a similar rattle that reveals itself every so often under acceleration. Recently found that it was coming from the handbrake button (kinda-sorta near your area of origin) - if I hold the button lightly under acceleration, the rattle goes away. It's prolly not going to solve your issue, but at least you can cross it off the list of possibilities very easily.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 AM
gdaddee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem. It sounds like it's coming from the center of the dash, around the a/c outlet. It sound too solid to be just something loose in there. And it does seem to happen above 3000 rpm.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:12 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This link is to ONE video--->https://photos.app.goo.gl/E3XcyjQM34MUzyE9A

This other link is to a handful of videos in case anyone is curious enough to listen------> https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with 27,xxx miles. I've been daily driving it for over a year now. Around May 2023 it started making the noise you hear in the video above. It was subtle at first but now it pretty much does it through all gears. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the clutch pressed all the way in or just cruising, it does it in all gears. In person it's not as loud as it is in the video.

I've already tried an MGW shifter but there was no change. I bought a replacement OEM shifter and boots but still no change.

I have already taken it to a transmission shop, they test drove it and said the transmission shift perfectly and they don't think it's a transmission issue. They didn't charge to test drive but they said it would cost a lot to take everything apart down there to get a look.

Feel free to reach me directly at sgarcia8028@gmail.com 909-319-5457

Get notified of new replies

To tinny rattle during WOT from under shifter area. Torque Tube?

Quick Reply: tinny rattle during WOT from under shifter area. Torque Tube?