C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeaky rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A common trick is to apply cheap DOT 3 brake fluid to all the rubber bushings as brake fluid conditions rubber parts. I've had this problem in the past on several F-Bodies and the fluid took care of all the squeaking. Just jack up the car; put newspaper under all the bushings; get a small water sprayer; and lightly spray all the rubber suspension parts making sure. Do not spray around the brake rotors without some type of masking device (e.g., card board, etc.).
Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem in my '99 vette. It is an annoying mouse like squeak. Sometimes I can drive for a few miles and no squeaking but then it will start up again. I have read the many posts and have followed the advice about the stabilizer bar bushings/ends but still have the squeak. The original stabilizer bar ends are made of some kind of plastic and the OEM replacements from the dealer are aluminum. As the parts guy (Rueben at Rudolph Chev. in El Paso, TX) said, they have alot of the ends in stock but would have to order the sway bar bushings. That led me to believe they probably replace the ends more often than bushings and keep plenty on hand. I've I did read a post about dirt or corrosion around the shock absorber bushing where it mounts to the rear chassis. I just installed new Bilstein Sport shocks about 500 miles ago and am sure I have rubber to metal on both sides of the mount through the mount point through the chassis. I'm going to put some silicone grease in there anyway and see if that cures the problem - if it does I'll post again; if not, anyone got any further ideas? This site is awesome for all the DIYs, advice, and participating vendors.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think silicone is the better solution when installing new parts, but unless you intend on disassembling everything, silicone most likely won't penetrate the area that's squeaking. Spray silicone will be a temporary surface treatment at best as it evaporates too quickly.

Again, brake fluid has rubber conditioning properties as well and will get into the nooks and crannies that are undoubtedly squeaking as past experience has shown me. The downside is it's corrosive properties on painted surfaces. My two cents.....
Old 10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Yeah Bowtie_Brigade, I agree. For some reason I did not see your post until after I posted mine. Probably because I was at the bottom of page 1 reading when I replied and yuors was at the top of the next page. I'll give your solution a try. If that doesn't fix it I'll use the "turn the radio up" solution I read on another squeaky post! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just upgraded front and rear sway bars with c6 z51s and metal end links last weekend that I bought used from a forum member. I had a very obvious crunch or squeak noise in the rear end before the upgrade. Noticed when we pulled the stock sways and end links off the car that the rubber end link bushings on the rear sway bar was deteriorated. After the upgrade, I have no more crunch or squeak noises coming from the rear end. I assume it was the deteriorated end link bushings that were causing the noise.

Last edited by nassaubluecoupe; 10-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

well that was easy to replace...

I took pictures of the old ones if anyone want to see and man they were shot.
I will test drive the car later to see if that resolved it.

Last edited by CJ454; 10-16-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

hey not more noise on the way to work... hope it lasts..
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by CJ454
hey not more noise on the way to work... hope it lasts..
Glad to hear you got it fixed. What all did you end up replacing?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 PM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Eric D
Glad to hear you got it fixed. What all did you end up replacing?

I replaced the sway bar links and greased the bushing on the sway bar too.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Squeak gone...Put the DOT 3 brake fluid on the shock, control arm bushings and the leaf spring(I think?) bushing and no more squeak. Got sick of jacking it up, jack standing it, and taking the wheel off to do one part at a time so I hit 'em all like a scattergun effect. The downside is I'm not sure which part was the cause of the squeak. Thanks for the suggestion Bowtie_Brigade.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

well i may have spoke to soon. on my way home last night it came back ... ill check the shock mounts next i guess.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

you talking about the a-arm mounts? From what i see there are 2 bushings there. I did spray some lube on them to see if the quited things down but it did not seem to help.

looks like a lot of work to take those out and soak or replace them.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

well i got under the car yesterday before it got dark.. gesh it gets dark early now...

I sprayed as many of the bushing as i could see. let it soak for a few days and then ill spay them again.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

so i did the brake fluid on the bushings. I soaked everything and let it sit for 2 weeks (no need to drive it) and then soaked it off and on and it seems to have helped. I may do it again as I still have a few squeaks but may be I missed a bushing
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 AM
CJ454
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

well i still got the squeak in the rear.. i soaked it all really good. may be ill pull the wheels off and see if i can get better access to it later on.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default help..

Originally Posted by CJ454
well i still got the squeak in the rear.. i soaked it all really good. may be ill pull the wheels off and see if i can get better access to it later on.
So..did you ever figure it out? I have an annoying squeak from lassenher side rear. Tried white lithium grease on bushings but no luck.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 849 Likes on 725 Posts

Spraying anything onto the sway bar bushings accomplishes little that is useful. Take the mounting brackets off, take the bushings off the bar, clean the bar surfaces where the bushings ride then grease inside the bushing and re-install.

Get notified of new replies

To squeaky rear suspension

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Spraying anything onto the sway bar bushings accomplishes little that is useful. Take the mounting brackets off, take the bushings off the bar, clean the bar surfaces where the bushings ride then grease inside the bushing and re-install.
*passenger side rear*
I'm not sure it's the sway bar bushing. I removed it and wrapped the bar with Teflon tape as others suggested but still...
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 AM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Hey Sam - I solved this on my '99 - it was the bushings on the rear shock mounts where the shaft goes up into the wheelwell - accessed through the hatch?....don't know if you looked at these or tried lubing these yet or not but if memory serves me correctly, they were a little cockeyed - might be worth a check.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Originally Posted by TinyTimm
Hey Sam - I solved this on my '99 - it was the bushings on the rear shock mounts where the shaft goes up into the wheelwell - accessed through the hatch?....don't know if you looked at these or tried lubing these yet or not but if memory serves me correctly, they were a little cockeyed - might be worth a check.
I have not looked at those! How do I get to them? I drive a 2003.

Quick Reply: squeaky rear suspension