C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeaky rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:06 PM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam-garcia
I have not looked at those! How do I get to them? I drive a 2003.
Pretty sure same as the '99 - you have to jack it up and take the wheel off then you can see up in there - can send you a couple of pics if you give me an email address - I can't attach any photos on the private message to you. You probably have to access the top shaft from the wheelwell inside the hatch - one rubber bushing goes on the underside where the mounting plate is and the other one goes on from the top inside the hatch at the wheelwell - believe there is a little access cover if you pull the side carpet or whatever it is off wheelwell inside the hatch. Been a few years and alot of beers since I did this in '09 so memory has faded - sold the '99 in 2012 and bought a 2008 Z06.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyTimm
Pretty sure same as the '99 - you have to jack it up and take the wheel off then you can see up in there - can send you a couple of pics if you give me an email address -
Yes please!
Sgarcia8028@gmail.com
Old 04-28-2015, 06:33 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 849 Likes on 725 Posts

The bushings are installed into a plate. You pretty much have to remove the shock to properly access it.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Default help?

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The bushings are installed into a plate. You pretty much have to remove the shock to properly access it.
...So can anyone shed some more light on this? pictures? tutorials....? suggestions....I've pretty much sprayed white lithium grease on anthing that even looks like a bushing there but no luck...Considering replacing the control arms...
Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 849 Likes on 725 Posts

Google "c5 corvette rear shock upper mount"

I wouldn't expect spraying grease all over everything to do anything except make a mess. The grease simply won't get into the bushings where the rubbing is occurring.

It could be a ball-joint or tie rod end as well and the grease on the outside won't do anything to help them.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

FYI: my squeak was the rear leaf spring mounts... sprayed silicone grease and has been quiet for few months so far.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:31 AM
sam-garcia
Instructor

FYI to anyone who may find this useful...
Originally Posted by sam-garcia
I am experiencing a squeak/springy noise from the passenger rear of my 2003....so far not quite a squeak, some sort of rubbing noise like maker rubber on rubber or rubber on metal or something from what appears to come from the passenger rear of my corvette. I switched out the upper control arm but nothing changed, sprayed silicon grease everywhere, still nothing, wrapped the sway bar bushings with teflon tape and still......

Any ideas by any chance? I mean I really doubt it's the shock...the sound had disappeared all year until the hot weather came now it's pretty loud...

UPDATE:
For anyone experiencing the same issue, for me it was a matter of switching out the rear passenger shock. Against all odds that was the problem. No idea why only that shock was causing all the woes nor why the noise disappeared for an entire year pending the very hot weather
-_-

Quick Reply: squeaky rear suspension